TheFalcoholic

If & When Coleman Walks

76 posts in this topic

It would bother me to know that Freeman is the lead RB and there is no Coleman.  I do like Ito, but he is smaller than Freeman.  Hill showed a little something at the end of the year against bad teams.  Keep Langford around if you can.  Let there be a battle in training camp for the #2 and #3 spots.  That being said, I would like another guy, but the Falcons I don't think can afford to spend anything other than a low round pick (6th or 7th) on another RB.  I doubt they bring in a guy during free agency.

I think the Falcons lack toughness at the RB position.  Its great to be super quick like Freeman.  Love when you have a speed guy like Coleman, but you really need a guy that can pound in between the tackles for 3 or 4 yards at a time for 25 carries if that is what it takes to beat your opponent.  I know you don't see that a lot in the NFL.  Especially with the Falcons.  I feel we need that capability.  Sure, Hill and Langford seem to have the physical makeup, but they don't have a history of success.

HouseofEuphoria likes this

I liked what I saw from Hill at the end of the season. Wouldn't mind keeping him around as the number 3 back

Freeman won't ever play another complete season. He is a walking MASH unit when he can actually walk.

9 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

I think I’d be fine with those three, but none of them have the long speed of Coleman. So I think we would sign/draft somebody with similar speed to have as an option.

That’s what I will miss, the open field speed.

Posted (edited)

If Coleman walks....just find me a Darren Sproeles type guy mid way to late in draft. For a 210 lbs RB he ran with almost no power. He was a scat back at his size. Get us a Jerious Norwood who can go 80 on any play and Im happy. Coleman was great asset but his production can be replaced. You dont pay 2 RBs. Not unless your team is built like Carolina a few years ago. Mobile QB. Run game and defense. Which is probably what Quinn wants to be more like

Edited by Stryka
KCFalcon22 likes this

7 minutes ago, Stryka said:

If Coleman walks....just find me a Darren Sproeles type guy mid way to late in draft. For a 210 lbs RB he ran with almost no power. He was a scat back at his size. Get us a Jerious Norwood who can go 80 on any play and Im happy. Coleman was great asset but his production can be replaced. You dont pay 2 RBs. Not unless your team is built like Carolina a few years ago. Mobile QB. Run game and defense. Which is probably what Quinn wants to be more like

• Tevin Coleman - 6'1" - 210 lbs, 4.40 - 40yd dash
  • Jeremy Langford - 6'0" - 211 lbs, 4.42 - 40yd dash
Geneaut, Vandy and HouseofEuphoria like this

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:
  • Tevin Coleman - 6'1" - 210 lbs, 4.40 - 40yd dash
  • Jeremy Langford - 6'0" - 211 lbs, 4.42 - 40yd dash

Langford is not it. Lol. There is a reason he didnt have a team until we picked him up. He runs tough but lacks vision and patience plus not much out the backfield. 

26 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Langford is not it. Lol. There is a reason he didnt have a team until we picked him up. He runs tough but lacks vision and patience plus not much out the backfield. 

I believe I remember Langford coming out of college as a good receiver.

He averaged 12.7 ypc on his 22 receptions as a rook in CHI. That's decent for a RB.

Geneaut and Stryka like this

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I believe I remember Langford coming out of college as a good receiver.

He averaged 12.7 ypc on his 22 receptions as a rook in CHI. That's decent for a RB.

He is decent but why bring him back on vet minumum deal when we can have a rookie do it for cheaper and be more explosive?

6 minutes ago, Stryka said:

He is decent but why bring him back on vet minumum deal when we can have a rookie do it for cheaper and be more explosive?

A rook might be more expensive depending on where you draft him. Also, rooks usually struggle in year one. Remember Coleman's year one struggles? Lastly, an explosive, speedy Madden RB is not a requirement for a Lombardi. Just look at the 12 teams in the playoffs this year. Not really loaded with explosives. Kamara ran a 4.56. Langford ran a 4.42.

Geneaut likes this

I think we should use at least a 3rd or 4th on an RB. I love both Free and Ito but, starting next season with two guys who are currently on IR and expecting it to work out would be foolish. 

I wouldn't mind moving on from both Freeman & Coleman and bringing in someone like TJ Yeldon who is really good catching out of the backfield.

And yes, I realize that this will never happen.

9 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

I think we should use at least a 3rd or 4th on an RB. I love both Free and Ito but, starting next season with two guys who are currently on IR and expecting it to work out would be foolish. 

I think Ito's IR was more a roster move type deal than a statement on the severity of his injury. It let us sign another player. 

Just now, Jesus said:

Anyone can run behind a good line with a working scheme. Not sure what you saw from Coleman that makes you think the team can't win without him.

Yep. Anybody remember Terron Ward? He averaged 4.2 yards a carry for us 2015-2017. He was an UDFA. 

41 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I think Ito's IR was more a roster move type deal than a statement on the severity of his injury. It let us sign another player. 

might be, I do remember hearing something about him getting his knee scoped. 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

A rook might be more expensive depending on where you draft him. Also, rooks usually struggle in year one. Remember Coleman's year one struggles? Lastly, an explosive, speedy Madden RB is not a requirement for a Lombardi. Just look at the 12 teams in the playoffs this year. Not really loaded with explosives. Kamara ran a 4.56. Langford ran a 4.42.

Explosive plays and mismatches are what im looking for. Kamara was timed at 4.5 but ask around the NFL and Kamara is a speed demon. Playing speed is different. Langford timed faster but nobody has seen him explode in the NFL. Im def talking 3rd to 5th round on RB. Same place we found teco free and ito. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

11 hours ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

We’ll probably take a RB in the 4th or 5th.  Pretty slim chance Coleman is back.

Agree but I think there's a pretty good chance his departure is going to come back to haunt us with Free's running style and concussion issues. Just have to keep our fingers crossed he doesn't go down because we can't afford everybody. 

13 hours ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Are you guys good rolling into 2019 with Freeman, Smith & Hill? Bring someone in? Mid round draft pick? 

For sure... we have so many holes that the last thing I'm worried about is RB. If Free is healthy, we are golden, if not, I have faith Ito in year 2 will make a jump and become a solid starter for us. 

13 hours ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Are you guys good rolling into 2019 with Freeman, Smith & Hill? Bring someone in? Mid round draft pick? 

Freeman and Smith, sure.

Hill won't be here long enough to matter.

13 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I'm beginning to believe every day now we missed the boat with Gurley.. I hate the Rams, but love to watch that man run the ball

I hate when the UGA fans post this. RB was not a need at the time. We had a massive need along the defensive front at that time, and that’s what we spent our round 1 pick on

14 hours ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Draft Jacobs from Bama in the 4th and I’m good

abcranford2 likes this