Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RichardCNile

O-Line - how do we fix it?

75 posts in this topic

On 04/01/2019 at 5:50 PM, etherdome said:

Levitre was serviceable as a pass blocker and not so good at run blocking.  He also has an injury history that is worrisome.  I think it is time to part ways with Levitre.  

Disagree. I know he is injury prone but he can at least play. Get rid of the guys that are no good (Schraeder, Sweitzer, etc) and keep the guys that can be a difference maker. If you are trying to replace 3 OL guys (rg, lg & rt) it is a lot easier if one of the those guys is already in the roster. It is highly unlikely we get 3 quality starters in FA and draft for the oline. Having one already on the roster gives us a greater chance of improving the oline immediately 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, RYNE said:

First of all you have to get serious about actually fixing the line. That is the key. Many of you will say.... Well Wes Schwitzer "isn't that bad". 

Isn't that bad is not what you should be saying about someone protecting a 100 million dollar qb heading into the end of his career. We can do better. Much better. Schwitzer is a backup and there is nothing wrong with that. I am so sick of people justifying keeping Schweitzer because "He isn't that Bad".   

Here we go: 

Well #1 you cut Schraeder and Fusco. Let Levitre walk. 

Make Wes Schwitzer the backup guard. Sambrallo the swing tackle.

Then you head into the draft/ free agency looking for a new Right Tackle, Left Guard, Right Guard. 

You sign one in free agency. 

Draft the best Dlineman/Pass rusher round 1. 

Then round 2 back to back guards or Right Tackle then Guard. 

AND ALSO AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you stop playing games with these weak "technicians" that can't move anyone. Stop caring if they can "Cross Train" or "Play multiple Spots" Or whatever stupid phrase Quinn will use next year. You stop caring if they were captains or sang in the choir or 4H king. If they Played the skin flute in the school band. Donated to charity. And All that other stupid stuff. And you got get some hogs that can move people. 

Basically you FINALLY fix the offensive line. Just like New Orleans did. They went from a pile of trash to arguably the best team in the league. Why... because they fixed the line and Drew Brees has time to throw. 

The End. 

Bravo. Well said. 

4 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Especially since we have to play the Vikings, Eagles, Texans, Jags, Titans, Seahawks and Rams next year. We better do something about the o line if we want to make the playoffs.

Yep. We have to target help in free agency for one or two for some level of certainty. The draft is always dicey on 1st round OL, many even bust or take longer to develop than expected. 

We have to use draft as well. Big question is if coaches feel Ty and/or Schweitzer will continue to get better. Looks to me like Shraeder is going to get cut. If we cut Shraeder after June 1st he only counts $1.3 MM in dead money and we get $6,450,000 in savings. Add that to Levitres $8 MM and it gives us $14 million to sign a couple of other vets.

I’m just saying, we can’t take too many chances on the OL.  Below are the veterans who’s contracts expire and their cap hits. Notice Levitre is 3rd, with his injuries we need to use that $8 million number on another veteran. We need to draft at least two OL 

PLAYER (125)
POS.
TO
2018 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Ryan Kalil C 34 CAR TBD $8,375,000 UFA -
Mike Iupati G 31 ARI TBD $8,000,000 UFA -
Andy Levitre G 32 ATL TBD $7,800,000 UFA -
Jared Veldheer RT 32 DEN TBD $7,000,000 UFA -
Rodger Saffold G 31 LA TBD $6,269,447 UFA -
Bobby Massie RT 30 CHI TBD $6,000,000 UFA -
James Carpenter G 30 NYJ TBD $4,775,000 UFA -
Seantrel Henderson RT 27 HOU TBD $4,000,000 UFA -
Ramon Foster G 33 PIT TBD $3,200,000 UFA -
Brett Jones C 28 MIN TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Ty Nsekhe LT 33 WAS TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Nick Easton C 27 MIN TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Ben Garland G 31 ATL TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Matt Paradis C 29 DEN TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Ryan Groy G 28 BUF TBD $2,500,000 UFA -
Benjamin Ijalana RT 30 NYJ TBD $2,500,000 UFA -
Cameron Fleming T 26 DAL TBD $2,500,000 UFA -
Matt Slauson G 33 IND TBD $2,500,000 UFA -
Chance Warmack G 27 PHI TBD $2,500,000 UFA -
Cedric Ogbuehi LT 27 CIN TBD $2,331,419 UFA -
Ja'Wuan James RT 27 MIA TBD $2,107,100 UFA -
Billy Turner G 27 DEN TBD $2,000,000 UFA -
Brent Qvale RT 28 NYJ TBD $1,907,000 UFA -
Quinton Spain G 28 TEN TBD $1,907,000 UFA -
Jordan Mills RT 28 BUF TBD $1,900,000 UFA -
Byron Bell RT 30 GB TBD $1,600,000 UFA -
Donovan Smith LT 26 TB TBD $1,517,215 UFA -
J.R. Sweezy G 30 SEA TBD $1,500,000 UFA -
LaAdrian Waddle RT 28 NE TBD $1,500,000 UFA -
D.J. Fluker G 28 SEA TBD $1,500,000 UFA -
Marshall Newhouse RT 30 CAR TBD $1,500,000 UFA -
Kevin Pamphile G 28 TEN TBD $1,400,000 UFA -
Eric Kush G 29 CHI TBD $1,350,000 UFA -
Mitch Morse C 27 KC TBD $1,168,269 UFA -
John Greco G 34 NYG TBD $1,105,000 UFA -
Jake Fisher LT 26 CIN TBD $1,064,880 UFA -
Tyler Shatley G 28 JAC TBD $1,027,500 UFA -
Jermon Bushrod G 35 NO TBD $1,015,000 UFA -
Bobby Hart RT 25 CIN TBD $1,005,000 UFA -
Ty Sambrailo LT 27 ATL TBD $961,489 UFA -
Earl Watford RT 29 CLE TBD $950,000 UFA -
Michael Person G 31 SF TBD $915,000 UFA -
Chris Clark LT 33 CAR TBD $915,000 UFA -
Sam Young LT 32 MIA TBD $915,000 UFA -
Austin Howard RT 32 WAS TBD $915,000 UFA -
Zane Beadles G 32 ATL TBD $915,000 UFA

OGs Sweezy and Fluker from Seattle and RT Valdheer from Denver. Seattle’s run game is powerful thrubtheir oline play. I’d Happily grab one of the Seattle Guards and Valdheer to solidify the interior along with a draft pick or sticking with Levitre. But I apsolutely expect Schraeder to be cut. 

13 minutes ago, primetime said:

OGs Sweezy and Fluker from Seattle and RT Valdheer from Denver. Seattle’s run game is powerful thrubtheir oline play. I’d Happily grab one of the Seattle Guards and Valdheer to solidify the interior along with a draft pick or sticking with Levitre. But I apsolutely expect Schraeder to be cut. 

Sweezy and Fluker only had a $1,500,000 cap hit in 2018, Veldheer $7 million.  Collectively they total $10 million.

We have a $14 million cap savings cutting Shraeder and letting Levitre go. 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:18 PM, RichardCNile said:

Agree.  Ya the front office has to make a commitment to the o line.   You would think this would be apparent as o-line problems were the major factor the year smitty got fired.   

I think we gotta draft line in round 1 or 2.  With TD, we cannot rely on him hitting on anyone below that.  

Yeah, but all this is hindsight. No one foresaw Schraeder becoming garbage and old overnight, no one predicted Levitre out all season, or Fusco broke ankle.

lets be real: this stiff just happened avd had it not happened we might have been fine in OL.

RichardCNile likes this

On 1/2/2019 at 1:35 PM, RYNE said:

Agree. People always have an excuse why you can’t fix the line. Then cry when it still sucks next year. I just got done arguing with the facoholic on twitter about this same thing 

It’s not an excuse.Its the fact that these morons continually get bought up in this spread style of offense and then hit the NFL speed and power and get absolutely owned.It happens every year for a great deal of these college prospects.

For every Quinton Nelson and Braden Smith Theres 10 Mike Johnson’s and Peter Konz it’s just the reality of picking at this position.

Thats why I’ll agree Oline is important it is it’s just not that easy,you can’t just click your fingers and it happens.I look at Olineman coming out and it feels like you almost have to get lucky to find the really good ones.

Get our OL in FAcy,, so we know what we have... Get everything else in the draft... I wouldn't mind drafting one in the  4th or 5th  round.. . Only if there is a good one there. If not get one in the 5th or 6th round if there is one worthy of the pick.. 

gazoo likes this

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

It’s not an excuse.Its the fact that these morons continually get bought up in this spread style of offense and then hit the NFL speed and power and get absolutely owned.It happens every year for a great deal of these college prospects.

For every Quinton Nelson and Braden Smith Theres 10 Mike Johnson’s and Peter Konz it’s just the reality of picking at this position.

Thats why I’ll agree Oline is important it is it’s just not that easy,you can’t just click your fingers and it happens.I look at Olineman coming out and it feels like you almost have to get lucky to find the really good ones.

There are a lot of first round OL busts over the years, even top 10 picks. It’s really a hard position to draft. 

Heck, bust Jake Long was picked #1 in the 2008 draft by Bill Parcells, and Miami desperately needed a starting QB. We snagged Matt Ryan 2 picks later. 

We can’t mess around counting on draft picks on OL in 2019, we need to sign a couple of FAs, but I do want us use our 2nd round pick on an OL this year.

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

There are a lot of first round OL busts over the years, even top 10 picks. It’s really a hard position to draft. 

Heck, bust Jake Long was picked #1 in the 2008 draft by Bill Parcells, and Miami desperately needed a starting QB. We snagged Matt Ryan 2 picks later. 

We can’t mess around counting on draft picks on OL in 2019, we need to sign a couple of FAs, but I do want us use our 2nd round pick on an OL this year.

I actually think there could be a couple of guys I actually like.

I think they may fall to us as everyone may fall in love with all those top ranked DTs and the lolly scramble that insues may be a blessing in disguise for us to get a Jonah Williams or a Cody Ford.

gazoo likes this

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

Yeah, but all this is hindsight. No one foresaw Schraeder becoming garbage and old overnight, no one predicted Levitre out all season, or Fusco broke ankle.

lets be real: this stiff just happened avd had it not happened we might have been fine in OL.

True and very valid points.   With that said, I don’t think very many ppl felt we were going into 2018 season with a solid O-Line.   More like bubblegum and duct tape.

my point is simply that the Falcons have not done well with o-line.   Yes that’s hindsight, but it’s valid and true.   We barely have a starting line, then with injuries, it gets ugly quickly.  

One thing to consider is age of O-Line and related injuries.  

11 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I actually think there could be a couple of guys I actually like.

I think they may fall to us as everyone may fall in love with all those top ranked DTs and the lolly scramble that insues may be a blessing in disguise for us to get a Jonah Williams or a Cody Ford.

You know what I thin’ may be a good strategy is to draft Mack’s replacement using our 2nd round pick with Elgton Jenkins, a 313lb athletic, mobile and most importantly highly intelligent center out of the SEC. He could start at OG and move to center when Mack retires.

Mack is 33 years old, and I doubt he will last the duration of Ryan’s 5 or 6 year window of winning a Super Bowl. 

Very rarely do good centers come up in FA. We got lucky with Mack.

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

You know what I thin’ may be a good strategy is to draft Mack’s replacement using our 2nd round pick with Elgton Jenkins, a 313lb athletic, mobile and most importantly highly intelligent center out of the SEC.

Mack is 33 years old, and I doubt he will last the duration of Ryan’s 5 or 6 year window of winning a Super Bowl. 

Wow, I didn’t realize Mack was 33.   That’s concerning.   

5 hours ago, primetime said:

Disagree. I know he is injury prone but he can at least play. Get rid of the guys that are no good (Schraeder, Sweitzer, etc) and keep the guys that can be a difference maker. If you are trying to replace 3 OL guys (rg, lg & rt) it is a lot easier if one of the those guys is already in the roster. It is highly unlikely we get 3 quality starters in FA and draft for the oline. Having one already on the roster gives us a greater chance of improving the oline immediately 

Quinn said it himself.  Besides Mack and Matthews, everyone else along the OL is in question.  

19 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Wow, I didn’t realize Mack was 33.   That’s concerning.   

It sure is. Most OL don’t last much longer than that in today’s NFL. I think the oldest starting NFL OL is 36. 

When a highly intelligent center comes along in a draft that fits your scheme and you are in need of one, you better grab him while you can. A center could start off at OG so it’s not like we have to wait for them to play if they are ready.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

You know what I thin’ may be a good strategy is to draft Mack’s replacement using our 2nd round pick with Elgton Jenkins, a 313lb athletic, mobile and most importantly highly intelligent center out of the SEC. He could start at OG and move to center when Mack retires.

Said this in another thread the other day I think they may see Schweitzer as a potential Mack replacement.Hes played R & LG learnt next to Mack for the last 3 years.Hes potentially been groomed and has the development.Not saying it may happen but wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

Me if I’m going Oline early I’m drafting that OU right side in Ford & Samia they’ve played years together so developing a combination would be a **** of a lot easier.They both play physical and were really good against that Bama defensive front.

gazoo likes this

9 hours ago, gazoo said:

Sweezy and Fluker only had a $1,500,000 cap hit in 2018, Veldheer $7 million.  Collectively they total $10 million.

We have a $14 million cap savings cutting Shraeder and letting Levitre go. 

Yep I would offer one of the guards a multi year contract at 2-3 million per year. Very keen on Valdheer also. It is the easy fix imho

Better players, better play, better play-calling.

I think Schraeder and Levitre might be done here. I'd also cut/let go of Fusco & Beadles.

I'd bring back Sambrailo and give him a shot at RT. Wes is still a pretty cheap and versatile backup, so I'd keep him. Maybe Garland as well. Gono is a guy I'm interested to see develop, whether that is at guard or RT, I think he has upside.

That leaves 3 holes: 2 interior guys and a swing tackle.

kiwifalcon likes this

12 hours ago, gazoo said:

It sure is. Most OL don’t last much longer than that in today’s NFL. I think the oldest starting NFL OL is 36. 

When a highly intelligent center comes along in a draft that fits your scheme and you are in need of one, you better grab him while you can. A center could start off at OG so it’s not like we have to wait for them to play if they are ready.

Makes sense