RichardCNile

O-Line - how do we fix it?

75 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Agree.  Ya the front office has to make a commitment to the o line.   You would think this would be apparent as o-line problems were the major factor the year smitty got fired.   

I think we gotta draft line in round 1 or 2.  With TD, we cannot rely on him hitting on anyone below that.  

I don’t see how we can’t. But I’ve been screaming to draft line for years. All they want to do is draft these 6th or 7th round projects and then wonder why they don’t work out. Don’t get me wrong Schwitzer is a fine backup for a 7th rounder I think he was. 6th or 7th. But fans and this team have to be okay with that. Stop trying to force him as a starter. It has not worked. He’s had plenty of chances. Just fix it the right way.

Who says you can't have 2 rookie O-linemen? Look at the Colts this year? Drafted LG Quinton Nelson in the 1st round, RT Braden Smith in the 2nd.  It worked.  Let's do the same thing.  Here are 6 linemen I like: Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, Jonah Williams, Cody Ford, Elgton Jenkins, Yodney Cajuste.  Draft the best available of these 6 in the 1st round, draft the best remaining available in the 2nd round.  Leave Fusco at RG.  Gono, Schweitzer, and Sambrailo as the backups next year.  

17 minutes ago, gtech1 said:

Who says you can't have 2 rookie O-linemen? Look at the Colts this year? Drafted LG Quinton Nelson in the 1st round, RT Braden Smith in the 2nd.  It worked.  Let's do the same thing.  Here are 6 linemen I like: Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, Jonah Williams, Cody Ford, Elgton Jenkins, Yodney Cajuste.  Draft the best available of these 6 in the 1st round, draft the best remaining available in the 2nd round.  Leave Fusco at RG.  Gono, Schweitzer, and Sambrailo as the backups next year.  

Agree. People always have an excuse why you can’t fix the line. Then cry when it still sucks next year. I just got done arguing with the facoholic on twitter about this same thing 

Geneaut and gtech1 like this

I want big and strong Guards and RT. Whenever this team played a physical defensive line, even in 2016, they got manhandled (against Miami in the preseason and against Philadelphia in the regular season). The most important factor is for Matt Ryan to not get pressured and he has enough time in the pocket to survey the field. Spend big $ on one excellent RT or G in FA and use a high draft pick on the other. One of the guard spots can be filled by Fusco or a mid-level FA guard.

So it'll be either:

1. Matthews, high priced FA Guard, Mack, Fusco or mid-level FA Guard, high draft pick RT.

2. Matthews, high draft pick Guard, Mack, Fusco or mid-level FA Guard, and high priced RT.

Garland and some of the others can be re-signed for depth.

Then you need to get DT/DE/CB in the draft and FA. Kazee can kick inside as nickel if needed and Rico is 100%.

1 hour ago, dothan_birdman said:

Ummmm WHOSE OL are you watching?

I'm gonna assume you left off the sarcasm tag. 

I would like to fix o-line but we can't right now and o-line can't be that bad because  Matt Ryan put up decent numbers. 

2 hours ago, E. T. said:

Um...that's a myth. Any size can play that scheme.

ok lol 

You want to fix Oline problems tell these useless morons playing college football to ban spread offenses there’s a start.

The issue is going to lie somewhere in between your not fixing it totally through the draft and with this draft class not the strongest at the position your definitely going to have to be smart how you go about it.

8 hours ago, RichardCNile said:

I think our defense will recover in 2019, both physically and figuratively.  Kazee is a baller, Oliver will hopefully develop into a baller, but he has a lot of work to do. Duke Riley may not make the 53 man roster next year and Senat should continue to improve.  

We have 2 NFL caliber offensive lineman on the roster.  JM at LT and Mack at Center.   We need 2 guards and a right tackle.  

TD has been horrible at drafting offensive linemen (IMHO).  I have no clue who is or will be avail in FA, but I think we are going to have to get 2 if not all 3 lineman in FA.  Anybody know who will be avail?

If we do (try to) draft a lineman who can start in the NFL, do we have to make that our first pick?   It’s clearly our biggest need (IMHO), or can we get a starter in 2nd or lower rounds?  Again, remember we have been unable to draft a starting lineman outside of the first round.   

Let me know your thoughts.  

We seem to be fixing the problem with duct tape and glue. Use our first or second pick on a lineman if you deem one worthy. It’s a reason why a team like the patriots stay in the playoffs. Their number one priority in most drafts is the trenches.

robertap likes this

4 minutes ago, falcon90 said:

We seem to be fixing the problem with duct tape and glue. Use our first or second pick on a lineman if you deem one worthy. It’s a reason why a team like the patriots stay in the playoffs. Their number one priority in most drafts is the trenches.

LT - Trent Brown - 7th round

LG - Joe Thunny - 3rd round

C - David Andrews - undrafted

RG - Shaq Mason - 4th round

RT - Marcus Cannon - 5th round

the only thing about the Pats O-line is they get away with murder protecting the golden boy while our guys get called for the least things. and another thing, there isn't much you can do to get over on Brady, he's seen it all and most of the time he makes his lines look better than they actually are, 

Osiruz and Cole World like this

On 1/2/2019 at 1:11 AM, raysnill1 said:

the only thing about the Pats O-line is they get away with murder protecting the golden boy while our guys get called for the least things. and another thing, there isn't much you can do to get over on Brady, he's seen it all and most of the time he makes his lines look better than they actually are, 

You didn’t take in account the injury they had to their 1st round pick Wynn for one thing. My main point is that you need to invest more into your trenches, and especially your o line. If that means a first or second round pick or both then do it.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, RYNE said:

First of all you have to get serious about actually fixing the line. That is the key. Many of you will say.... Well Wes Schwitzer "isn't that bad". 

Isn't that bad is not what you should be saying about someone protecting a 100 million dollar qb heading into the end of his career. We can do better. Much better. Schwitzer is a backup and there is nothing wrong with that. I am so sick of people justifying keeping Schweitzer because "He isn't that Bad".   

Here we go: 

Well #1 you cut Schraeder and Fusco. Let Levitre walk. 

Make Wes Schwitzer the backup guard. Sambrallo the swing tackle.

Then you head into the draft/ free agency looking for a new Right Tackle, Left Guard, Right Guard. 

You sign one in free agency. 

Draft the best Dlineman/Pass rusher round 1. 

Then round 2 back to back guards or Right Tackle then Guard. 

AND ALSO AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you stop playing games with these weak "technicians" that can't move anyone. Stop caring if they can "Cross Train" or "Play multiple Spots" Or whatever stupid phrase Quinn will use next year. You stop caring if they were captains or sang in the choir or 4H king. If they Played the skin flute in the school band. Donated to charity. And All that other stupid stuff. And you got get some hogs that can move people. 

Basically you FINALLY fix the offensive line. Just like New Orleans did. They went from a pile of trash to arguably the best team in the league. Why... because they fixed the line and Drew Brees has time to throw. 

The End. 

100%

If our 2019 RT, LG or RG spots are manned by a player that was on our roster in 2018, we failed. Time to quit effing around and go out and get some real players.

1 hour ago, RubberDucky said:

100%

If our 2019 RT, LG or RG spots are manned by a player that was on our roster in 2018, we failed. Time to quit effing around and go out and get some real players.

LMAO!!!

man improvement is not even a possibility..

Osiruz likes this

On 1/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, Atl Falcon said:

Levite was solid and he’s only 32 so at the right price he’d be a starter or great depth.

Levitre was serviceable as a pass blocker and not so good at run blocking.  He also has an injury history that is worrisome.  I think it is time to part ways with Levitre.  

Geneaut likes this

Getting away with murder is the result of excellent coaching.  They know how to go about business without attracting the refs' eyes.  

On 1/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, raysnill1 said:

Missed the more important thing man they got consistency in Dante Scharnieke as Oline coach for nie on a decade.Probably close to thee best in the business.He tried to retire and there Oline went to crap.

Osiruz and raysnill1 like this

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, RichardCNile said:

I think our defense will recover in 2019, both physically and figuratively.  Kazee is a baller, Oliver will hopefully develop into a baller, but he has a lot of work to do. Duke Riley may not make the 53 man roster next year and Senat should continue to improve.  

We have 2 NFL caliber offensive lineman on the roster.  JM at LT and Mack at Center.   We need 2 guards and a right tackle.  

TD has been horrible at drafting offensive linemen (IMHO).  I have no clue who is or will be avail in FA, but I think we are going to have to get 2 if not all 3 lineman in FA.  Anybody know who will be avail?

If we do (try to) draft a lineman who can start in the NFL, do we have to make that our first pick?   It’s clearly our biggest need (IMHO), or can we get a starter in 2nd or lower rounds?  Again, remember we have been unable to draft a starting lineman outside of the first round.   

.I think we have a lot more problems our defense side of the ball  lol

Plus they have a pretty good O-line coach in Dante Scarnecchia

On 1/1/2019 at 4:27 PM, RichardCNile said:

Especially since we have to play the Vikings, Eagles, Texans, Jags, Titans, Seahawks and Rams next year. We better do something about the o line if we want to make the playoffs.

gazoo likes this