RichardCNile

O-Line - how do we fix it?

76 posts in this topic

I think our defense will recover in 2019, both physically and figuratively.  Kazee is a baller, Oliver will hopefully develop into a baller, but he has a lot of work to do. Duke Riley may not make the 53 man roster next year and Senat should continue to improve.  

We have 2 NFL caliber offensive lineman on the roster.  JM at LT and Mack at Center.   We need 2 guards and a right tackle.  

TD has been horrible at drafting offensive linemen (IMHO).  I have no clue who is or will be avail in FA, but I think we are going to have to get 2 if not all 3 lineman in FA.  Anybody know who will be avail?

If we do (try to) draft a lineman who can start in the NFL, do we have to make that our first pick?   It’s clearly our biggest need (IMHO), or can we get a starter in 2nd or lower rounds?  Again, remember we have been unable to draft a starting lineman outside of the first round.   

Let me know your thoughts.  

Sam Baker was drafted in the 1st round and he turned out to be a bust.  Maybe you should rephrase it to say that we can only get an oline pick in the draft if it is in the top 10 with Thomas D. 

FalconFan1st and RichardCNile like this

Let's assume for the good of the team we're keeping Matthews, Mack and Gono and releasing to replace Schweitzer and Schraeder...           

Levitre, Garland, Sambrailo and Beadles are FA's, and let's assume from those we might resign Levitre and Sambrailo.  That leaves us with at least 4 spots to fill in the FA/Draft pool.  I'd have to think our draft priority looks like

First round DT

Second Round LB

Third round OL

Therefore, our starting Oline looks like Matthews, Levitre, Mack, FA, Sambrailo; with backups: Draft, Gono, FA, FA

Now, considering Levitre and Sambrailo are actually FA's, it seems to me our Oline will have 3 FA starters, 2 FA backups and a Drafted backup as well...YIKES!

EDIT:  Forgot about Fusco; he joins the backup field as G... therefore, we're looking for at least 3 other FA's and a draft pick IF we resign Levitre and Sambrailo...

First of all you have to get serious about actually fixing the line. That is the key. Many of you will say.... Well Wes Schwitzer "isn't that bad". 

Isn't that bad is not what you should be saying about someone protecting a 100 million dollar qb heading into the end of his career. We can do better. Much better. Schwitzer is a backup and there is nothing wrong with that. I am so sick of people justifying keeping Schweitzer because "He isn't that Bad".   

Here we go: 

Well #1 you cut Schraeder and Fusco. Let Levitre walk. 

Make Wes Schwitzer the backup guard. Sambrallo the swing tackle.

Then you head into the draft/ free agency looking for a new Right Tackle, Left Guard, Right Guard. 

You sign one in free agency. 

Draft the best Dlineman/Pass rusher round 1. 

Then round 2 back to back guards or Right Tackle then Guard. 

AND ALSO AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you stop playing games with these weak "technicians" that can't move anyone. Stop caring if they can "Cross Train" or "Play multiple Spots" Or whatever stupid phrase Quinn will use next year. You stop caring if they were captains or sang in the choir or 4H king. If they Played the skin flute in the school band. Donated to charity. And All that other stupid stuff. And you got get some hogs that can move people. 

Basically you FINALLY fix the offensive line. Just like New Orleans did. They went from a pile of trash to arguably the best team in the league. Why... because they fixed the line and Drew Brees has time to throw. 

The End. 

It depends on if the scheme/philosophy changes. If so Mack and Matthews are only guys who fit. Maybe fusco, not familiar w his career. 

If it is the same ole, at least cut Schreader, bring back Ty on a one year deal and try to land a top guard or two in FA and then draft some OLman as well. 

Regardless, it needs to be priority one. We are built to outscore anyone, but need to create time for Ryan.

bossFALCON™ likes this

2 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Then you head into the draft/ free agency looking for a new Right Tackle, Left Guard, Right Guard. 

AND ALSO AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you stop playing games with these weak "technicians" that can't move anyone. Stop caring if they can "Cross Train" or "Play multiple Spots" Or whatever stupid phrase Quinn will use next year. And you got get some hogs that can move people. 

Basically you FINALLY fix the offensive line. Just like New Orleans did. They went from a pile of trash to arguably the best team in the league. Why... because they fixed the line and Drew Brees has time to throw. 

The End. 

AND ALSO AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you stop playing games with these weak "technicians" that can't move anyone. Stop caring if they can "Cross Train" or "Play multiple Spots" Or whatever stupid phrase Quinn will use next year. And you got get some hogs that can move people. 

This I totally agree with...IN NO WAY AT ALL do I want us going into a season with 2nd and 3rd round rookie starting guards...Nope, no way, no thanks...

1 hour ago, RichardCNile said:

I think our defense will recover in 2019, both physically and figuratively.  Kazee is a baller, Oliver will hopefully develop into a baller, but he has a lot of work to do. Duke Riley may not make the 53 man roster next year and Senat should continue to improve.  

We have 2 NFL caliber offensive lineman on the roster.  JM at LT and Mack at Center.   We need 2 guards and a right tackle.  

TD has been horrible at drafting offensive linemen (IMHO).  I have no clue who is or will be avail in FA, but I think we are going to have to get 2 if not all 3 lineman in FA.  Anybody know who will be avail?

If we do (try to) draft a lineman who can start in the NFL, do we have to make that our first pick?   It’s clearly our biggest need (IMHO), or can we get a starter in 2nd or lower rounds?  Again, remember we have been unable to draft a starting lineman outside of the first round.   

Let me know your thoughts.  

the OL is not great but it's not that bad either. we have serious problems with our defense and we have to waste every free agent pick up and  draft pick  on our defense 

1 minute ago, Falconcheff said:

This I totally agree with...IN NO WAY AT ALL do I want us going into a season with 2nd and 3rd round rookie starting guards...Nope, no way, no thanks...

To get "HOGS" you would have to abandon the Zone blocking scheme.....not gonna happen.  We just need better quality zone blockers.  FA is the answer, draft a decent suspect in the 2nd round.  Depending on who we get in FA, keep the best we have on the roster.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy and 81KJW like this

2 minutes ago, 81KJW said:

the OL is not great but it's not that bad either. we have serious problems with our defense and we have to waste every free agent pick up and  draft pick  on our defense 

Not true.  We need at least One FA WR, a FA backup QB, and 3 FA OL... You're forgetting that most of our current line players ARE FA's...Beadles (end year starter), Sambrailo (half-year starter), Garland and Levitre are all FA's and there's NO WAY IN HECK we'll be keeping Schweitzer and Schraeder (both at least) around for another year...

5 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I want some BIG hogs on this oline. Time to cut the BS and get some size.

um, we are zone blocking scheme. means we need small fast  ol

4 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

To get "HOGS" you would have to abandon the Zone blocking scheme.....not gonna happen.  We just need better quality zone blockers.  FA is the answer, draft a decent suspect in the 2nd round.  Depending on who we get in FA, keep the best we have on the roster.

Personally, I'd be happy to give up the ZBS if it meant putting the onus on Ryan's passing and protecting him to do that, plus getting 2 yards when we need it...

Flying Falcon likes this

reading through this thread makes me realize that some of you don't seem to realize that there ARE 'BIG and FAST' guys on olines across the country who can 'pull and move'.

I am 100% in the camp of GET SOME BIG GUYS THAT CAN MOVE THE PILE...enough of not being able to stuff the ball through on 3 and short or goal to go from the 1 or 2 yard line

E. T., red falcon and Flying Falcon like this

17 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I want some BIG hogs on this oline. Time to cut the BS and get some size.

Elite G is a must! With recent NFL pass rush coming from inside.....Colts were dead last in league last year for allowing Qb sacks or hits.

This year only allowed 18.

Colts have done fabulous job in drafting olinemen and protecting Luck.  Rewards are infront of our eyes.

Washed  up Ebron is having best career in Colts.

gtech1 and E. T. like this

35 minutes ago, RYNE said:

First of all you have to get serious about actually fixing the line. That is the key. Many of you will say.... Well Wes Schwitzer "isn't that bad". 

Isn't that bad is not what you should be saying about someone protecting a 100 million dollar qb heading into the end of his career. We can do better. Much better. Schwitzer is a backup and there is nothing wrong with that. I am so sick of people justifying keeping Schweitzer because "He isn't that Bad".   

Here we go: 

AND ALSO AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you stop playing games with these weak "technicians" that can't move anyone. Stop caring if they can "Cross Train" or "Play multiple Spots" Or whatever stupid phrase Quinn will use next year. You stop caring if they were captains or sang in the choir or 4H king. If they Played the skin flute in the school band. Donated to charity. And All that other stupid stuff. And you got get some hogs that can move people. 

The End. 

Well said.  

31 minutes ago, 81KJW said:

Our defense will get better with DQ’s hand on it.   But I disagree that our o-line wasn’t that bad.  It was horrible.   

red falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Well said.  

Thank you. I am just so sick of every year everyone is crying about the online. But never wants to do anything about it. Oh... Schwitzer is fine. F-that. Time to get some players and actually fix it. We need 3 spots. It can easily be done this offseason. 

red falcon likes this

20 minutes ago, papachaz said:

reading through this thread makes me realize that some of you don't seem to realize that there ARE 'BIG and FAST' guys on olines across the country who can 'pull and move'.

I am 100% in the camp of GET SOME BIG GUYS THAT CAN MOVE THE PILE...enough of not being able to stuff the ball through on 3 and short or goal to go from the 1 or 2 yard line

Agree... a guy like DJ Fluker is HUGE and pulls like a gazelle...we need them's dudes!!

40 minutes ago, 81KJW said:

Ummmm WHOSE OL are you watching?

Im gonna assume you left off the sarcasm tag. 

red falcon and Falconcheff like this