ya_boi_j

Alford says he’ll bounce back

76 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I barely believe in him. I'd take Alford any day over Trufant since 2016. Since 2013, Trufant has only made the postseason ONCE in his 6 year career with the Falcons. What has Trufant done for us relevant when it matters most? Alford had a gaming winning pick 6 against the Redskins in 2015 and had a pick 6 against TOM BRADY which kept us in the Super Bowl until the end.

Alford had his best season of his career last season with Neal and Allen healthy but Trufant started declining. Alford had a KEY INT against the Panthers to seal our playoff spot last season. What has Trufant done once again? Trufant hasn't done anything since 2015, and he's only made the playoffs ONCE with us. I'd get rid of Trufant.

Keep Alford (who can bounce back when Neal and Allen return) and if Deandre Baker is available, draft him as Trufant's replacement. Deandre Baker and Isaiah Oliver together in their prime could be a better duo. 

Edited by mqg96

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

If you cut him post 6/1 in 2020 it’s still a bad dead cap:

POST-6/1 RELEASE 

2020 Dead Cap: $4,400,000

2021 Dead Cap: $5,800,000

2020 Cap Savings: $10,750,000

That means it’s possible at best but not likely we eat $4.4M in space but then eat nearly $6M in 2021 without him.

oh i know what we are eatting but if you are starting Oliver and another guy on his rookie deal... Also you are Gaining 10 mil of cap space.. Im not counting something as a lost already on the books ... Also with the cap going up.... We are ok  taking those "hits" of left over cash

Ergo Proxy likes this

7 minutes ago, atljbo said:

oh i know what we are eatting but if you are starting Oliver and another guy on his rookie deal... Also you are Gaining 10 mil of cap space.. Im not counting something as a lost already on the books ... Also with the cap going up.... We are ok  taking those "hits" of left over cash

Good points. Would you take Tru on a restructure or what happens if he goes off next year?

Thats why it’s an outside shot the best CB in draft falls to us. Otherwise, draft one mid rounds vs a TE or RB to groom.

A lot depends on the offseason plan this year naturally but I could see that scenario as long as we have cheap Corners on roster as indicated in the plan.

Fine to use $10M+ elsewhere and we might need it by then. Tru suffers from being in a scheme misfit IMO.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I wonder if Alford even understands what he said.  What about 2017 broke him?  I would think 2016 Opened His Eyes...and 2018 Broke Him...and he can only come back strong by looking in the mirror and making the changes 

Edited by Falconsin2012

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I wonder if Alford even understands what he said.  What about 2017 broke him?  I would think 2018 broke him which hopefully would change him so he can have a strong comeback in 2019

Maybe...”had my best season and it wasn’t enough for the team to win?”

Falconsin2012 likes this

1 hour ago, Flying Falcon said:

I told y'all. Y'all didn't want to listen. He was never that good to begin with.

Wasn’t talent...the effort wasn’t there. Coaches even called him out publicly on it.

8 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I barely believe in him. I'd take Alford any day over Trufant since 2016.

All I can say is dam, what happened? How'd we go from riches to rags at corner? WTH happened to Alford and Trufant? They used to be one of the best pairs in the league.

Having them both drop off a cliff like this really sucks.

Coming back and havin' yellow laundry thrown all over the field when he's trying to cover the deep pass.  

8 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Wasn’t talent...the effort wasn’t there. Coaches even called him out publicly on it.

That's coaching. The effort wasn't there for ALOT of the players. I can name them.

13 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Restructure and possibly resign.

Hes another I’m on the fence on.

For him to be let go I have to 

1 be absolutely convinced Oliver can takeover his role.

2 go in that direction in the draft early with the possibility of landing one of those top guys.

Agree with you in principle, but I lean more Oliver. Even if restructured, I hope Oliver is ready. If anyone on defense played themselves out of a job/money it was Alford. 

13 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I barely believe in him. I'd take Alford any day over Trufant since 2016. Since 2013, Trufant has only made the postseason ONCE in his 6 year career with the Falcons. What has Trufant done for us relevant when it matters most? Alford had a gaming winning pick 6 against the Redskins in 2015 and had a pick 6 against TOM BRADY which kept us in the Super Bowl until the end.

Alford had his best season of his career last season with Neal and Allen healthy but Trufant started declining. Alford had a KEY INT against the Panthers to seal our playoff spot last season. What has Trufant done once again? Trufant hasn't done anything since 2015, and he's only made the playoffs ONCE with us. I'd get rid of Trufant.

Keep Alford (who can bounce back when Neal and Allen return) and if Deandre Baker is available, draft him as Trufant's replacement. Deandre Baker and Isaiah Oliver together in their prime could be a better duo. 

Exactly!!!!!