Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sidecar Falcon

Will The Falcons Fly Again In 2019?

51 posts in this topic

13 dropped interceptions is ridiculous. I wonder what what the breakdown of those would be per player basis. Either way, our secondary may need to be a primary focus this offseason. 

PokerSteve likes this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

That doesn't make sense.

QB Ratings outside:

57.4, 99.1, 121.6, 102.2, 97.5, 126.9, 102.3

Philly was the worst, but the rest are respectable.

It's going on their personal grades; which in the video clearly indicates the pressure percentage was helped by Matt getting the ball out quicker, but they don't add that in when defining context in the subject of "Matt Ryan outdoors".

It's simply a faulty statement and just a 'here is his grade according to our system' in those settings. Not looking at the team's grades around him. Anyone remember the Pitt game? Matt did enough on the road most games outside of PHI and CLE. At Pitt he had no shot and vs GB and in several of those games our lack of run game or protection reared their ugly heads. You can only be consistently unbalanced as an offense or hide your weaknesses like the OL was this year for so long.

Like Ryan helping the OL when passing, Free might've made the OL look better when running. Albeit not to 2016 lethality levels. (Can't take as many long developing play shots or as successfully or run the ball in short yardage, etc)

Edited by Ergo Proxy

2 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

13 dropped interceptions is ridiculous. I wonder what what the breakdown of those would be per player basis. Either way, our secondary may need to be a primary focus this offseason. 

It is after front 7 on D. Oliver is playing and Alford gonna get cut soon or restructured at best. Plus, Neal and Alford back with Kazee the only INT man returning. Am I missing something? That's 3 changes in house.:tiphat:

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It is after front 7 on D. Oliver is playing and Alford gonna get cut soon or restructured at best. Plus, Neal and Alford back with Kazee the only INT man returning. Am I missing something? That's 3 changes in house.:tiphat:

You’re missing quite a few things actually. There is talk of moving Kazee to NB. Allen isn’t a guarantee to be the same once he comes back. Both lack the necessary range to be a true single high FS.

Poole is a RFA. He’s played well enough that I think some team may bite at him. Alford will be gone (thank God) and Oliver will take his place.

Trufant was hot garbage this year and I’m hoping we draft his replacement sooner rather than later.

We won’t be switching defensive schemes as Quinn is taking over as DC. I’m expecting there to be a more pure Cover 3 Scheme implemented. Which means physical corners and a true single high FS. We have one physical corner in Oliver and that’s it. So secondary could be the primary focus this offseason. 

Release Shaub, Alford, Schrader, Levitre, and Reed. Rework Beasley’s contract if possible (cut him if too expensive). Sign Danny Shelton & Shane Ray (Pending Beasley). Sign Daryl Williams and Bobby Massie. Draft the best defensive player (probably would be a LB or a DB) available with our 1st round. Draft one of the remaining 2nd tier DL prospects in the second. Fill in needs with BPA for positions with rest of draf, but don’t be afraid to grab any high ceiling guys. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
Ergo Proxy likes this

Posted (edited)

Levitre and Schaub are UFAs already. I get the downside to the secondary if it plays out that way, but Tru improved as the season went along and you can easily argue the DL is more important to our success moving forward.

We couldn't stop the run or rush the passer.

Replacing Alford helps as he was the worst performer, and we do have 2 guys coming back. DL has what? VB as the 4th highest paid Falcon? Far more of an issue than Tru. At least Tru plays snaps. Irvin is a FA. DE is sorely hurting us as is replacing McClain's snaps with a starter quality NFL DT. RIght now Senat and Crawford are role players at best.

Just put CB after our front 7 needs; do we really want it to be Debo or bust from the LB unit another season?, unless there is a gem at 14 that falls to us.

I'd take on a skill CB before LB depending on the player, but BPA in round 1 agreed. OL fix in FA and rounds 2-4 for depth. (Cause you still have to groom and turnover roster)

Neas showed some promise playing SS, so it's really about a couple moves at CB; maybe it is BPA in round 1 and we go DL/OL/TE/RB later. Much depends on FA.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Levitre and Schaub are UFAs already. I get the downside to the secondary if it plays out that way, but Tru improved as the season went along and you can easily argue the DL is more important to our success moving forward.

We couldn't stop the run or rush the passer.

Replacing Alford helps as he was the worst performer, and we do have 2 guys coming back. DL has what? VB as the 4th highest paid Falcon? Far more of an issue than Tru. At least Tru plays snaps Irvin is a FA. DE is sorely hurting us as is replacing McClain's snaps with a starter quality NFL DT. RIght now Senat and Crawford are role players at best.

Just put CB after our front 7 needs; do we really want it to be Debo or bust from the LB unit another season?, unless there is a gem at 14 that falls to us.

I'd take on a skill CB before LB depending on the player, but BPA in round 1 agreed. OL fix in FA and rounds 2-4 for depth. (Cause you still have to groom and turnover roster)

Neas showed some promise playing SS, so it's really about a couple moves at CB; maybe it is BPA in round 1 and we go DL/OL/TE/RB later. Much depends on FA.

Tru improving is an issue. For the amount of money we pay him, he should be better. We can get the same amount of production from someone else at a lot cheaper price. Oliver looked decent this season but being the #2 is different. Oliver isn’t as fast as Alford or Trufant, so he may need additional help over top as he continues to progress. 

I addressed the Oline in my previous statement. Takk, Grady, Shelton, Senat, Beasley/Ray, and the 2nd Rd Pick. 

Funny as you mention Debo as the #1 guy I’d want at that position is White if he’s available. Allen/Kazee are better as NBs but they can play FS in a pinch. Neal is good but we could find a similar skilled player (Not sold on Neasman) to fill the role if he gets injured again.

If Debo goes down, there isn’t anyone on the roster that could fill his role. White is widely considered to be the best LB in the draft. He also has great speed and instincts.

While it wouldn’t be ideal for him to take over the MLB position if Debo went down. I would however think that his athleticism and instincts would make him a better option than any other LB on our roster. 

I agree that a lot of this depends on FA. I don’t see the need to reach on a 2nd tier DL prospect in the 1st round. Especially given the strength of the 2nd tier DL class.  Given that we play a lot of Nickel formations I think it would be in our best interest to have Kazee/Allen there as I think they would be amazing at NB. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

45 minutes ago, Jesus said:

That doesn't make sense.

QB Ratings outside:

57.4, 99.1, 121.6, 102.2, 97.5, 126.9, 102.3

Philly was the worst, but the rest are respectable.

And philly was on a terrible field. The production of the vid makes it appear as they are doing their analysis on the fly...

Ergo Proxy likes this

31 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

You’re missing quite a few things actually. There is talk of moving Kazee to NB. Allen isn’t a guarantee to be the same once he comes back. Both lack the necessary range to be a true single high FS.

Poole is a RFA. He’s played well enough that I think some team may bite at him. Alford will be gone (thank God) and Oliver will take his place.

Trufant was hot garbage this year and I’m hoping we draft his replacement sooner rather than later.

We won’t be switching defensive schemes as Quinn is taking over as DC. I’m expecting there to be a more pure Cover 3 Scheme implemented. Which means physical corners and a true single high FS. We have one physical corner in Oliver and that’s it. So secondary could be the primary focus this offseason. 

Release Shaub, Alford, Schrader, Levitre, and Reed. Rework Beasley’s contract if possible (cut him if too expensive). Sign Danny Shelton & Shane Ray (Pending Beasley). Sign Daryl Williams and Bobby Massie. Draft the best defensive player (probably would be a LB or a DB) available with our 1st round. Draft one of the remaining 2nd tier DL prospects in the second. Fill in needs with BPA for positions with rest of draf, but don’t be afraid to grab any high ceiling guys. 

Is Oliver ready to step on and

start?

Just now, VTCrunkler said:

And philly was on a terrible field. The production of the vid makes it appear as they are doing their analysis on the fly...

That Philly field ended the season for three of our pro bowlers. And yes they are. They are just reading the numbers off their computer screens. There is very little analysis.

Example:

They say the issue with the Falcons is lack of coverage in the pass game. To them that's the only issue. Then they say the Falcons corners had good ratings despite the lack of interceptions which means they have good coverage. Huh? The worst part is they fail to answer the question posed in the title. Will the Falcons fly again? Who knows? Part of the job of collecting such data and analyzing it is to show what kind of patterns exist and use that to predict future success or failure. They don't do that either. 

Stopped listening at a bakers dozen dropped interceptions by Trufant/Alford.  They need to send a game check or two back to help us afford Grady & Debo

42 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Quinn said last week that when healthy, Ricardo is the starter.  No question about it.

@Sidecar Falcon

We're on the same page. I hadn't looked into FA ideas so can't really comment and it's usually a bid war and there is more you can do to move on draft day for a particular player if you have a trade partner.

Tru is overpaid for his lack of INTs(read drops), but he isn't at a spot we could think of cutting him. Earliest is after 2020 season.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

2 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Is Oliver ready to step on and

start?

I think he is as a #2 CB. He’s going to get beat but it’s better than the alternative of Alford. One of the reasons I want a more rangy FS. 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Quinn said last week that when healthy, Ricardo is the starter.  No question about it.

Cool. Then we can focus on getting the absolute best defensive player in the draft. Devin White should fall to us, as well as DeAndre Baker. 

Falcons In 2012 likes this

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

That Philly field ended the season for three of our pro bowlers. And yes they are. They are just reading the numbers off their computer screens. There is very little analysis.

Example:

They say the issue with the Falcons is lack of coverage in the pass game. To them that's the only issue. Then they say the Falcons corners had good ratings despite the lack of interceptions which means they have good coverage. Huh? The worst part is they fail to answer the question posed in the title. Will the Falcons fly again? Who knows? Part of the job of collecting such data and analyzing it is to show what kind of patterns exist and use that to predict future success or failure. They don't do that either. 

Makes me wonder if we held keke back and didn't put him in: would he be good to go for the rest of the time...They simply didn't answer the question.  Good ratings for our corners?   Another example of how misleading stats and ratings can be. We all saw how poorly the starting cb played all year.