Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayu70

Welcome to 2019 - Hawks January Game Thread

201 posts in this topic

They made us sweat it out in the second half of the 4th quarter, but good win. Collins was sublime as usual, and Len stepped up huge off the bench. Trae with questionable shot selection toward the end of the game that earned him a talking-to from Coach, but other than that had a very nice game. Heurter finding his way back, and Prince still annoys me. Our SFs haven't given us much of anything last couple of games or so.

Dawggone likes this

13 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Trae Young Says Luka Doncic Trade 'Worked Out' for Both Hawks and Mavericks

Joseph ZuckerJanuary 28, 2019

Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818095-trae-young-says-luka-doncic-trade-worked-out-for-both-hawks-and-mavericks

Atlanta Hawks rookie Trae Young thought both teams walked away winners from the draft-night trade that landed him in Atlanta and sent Luka Doncic to the Dallas Mavericks.

Young offered his take on the move during an appearance on ESPN's The Jump on Monday:

"Obviously I hear everything that goes on. You can't miss it. Luka's having a really good year so far. And for me, all I do is try to focus on myself and my team. I know it's easy to say, but I'm really dedicated to working extremely hard every day for my teammates and things like that. And I think at the end of the day it worked out for both teams. That's how I look at it. I mean, Luka's doing really well. I feel like I'm doing really well as well."

Some Hawks fans might dispute Young's opinion.

Doncic is averaging 20.5 points, 6.9 rebounds and 5.4 assists this season, adapting to the NBA far quicker than most expected. The 19-year-old is the runaway favorite for Rookie of the Year.

Young, on the other hand, is a work in progress. He's averaging 16.2 points but shooting 40.2 percent from the floor and 29.0 percent from three-point range. Out of 478 players, Young ranks 461st in ESPN.com's real plus-minus (minus-3.79).

Of course, it would be foolish to hand out any final grades to Dallas or Atlanta. Young believes he'll be considered the better player when the question is revisited in five to 10 years: "In my eyes, it's not a question—it's going to be me. But that's just the competitive nature in my blood, and I think that's the no-brainer with me." 

Rookie point guards have a steep learning curve with the speed of the NBA, and Young didn't spend years playing professionally overseas like Doncic. De'Aaron Fox was a mess as a rookie but has taken a big leap in year two. Perhaps Young can replicate Fox's rapid development in 2019-20.

The Hawks' full return from the trade isn't clear, either. Atlanta will receive a first-round pick from Dallas that is top-five protected in 2019 and 2020 and top-three protected in 2021 and 2022. According to Tankathon, the Mavs have the 11th-best lottery odds, so the Hawks are poised to have two lottery picks in the 2019 draft.

Doncic is obviously outplaying Young at the moment. In a few years' time, Young may have bridged the gap enough to justify the Hawks' decision to effectively pick him over Doncic as the face of their rebuild.

Nice cherrypicking by the author here, conveniently ignoring that Trae leads all rookies in assists with 7.3. 

tl;dr and blkbigdog35 like this

5 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Nice cherrypicking by the author here, conveniently ignoring that Trae leads all rookies in assists with 7.3. 

Whatever they can do to not recognize the kid.  Think Trae is going to continue to prove people wrong.

tl;dr likes this

Luka vs. Trae January edition:

Luka: 22.9 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 6.5 APG, 2.5 TO, 42.8% FG, 31.4% 3FG, 67.4% FT
Trae: 18.4 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 7.2 APG, 4.0 TO, 43.5% FG, 32.5% 3FG, 86.7% FT

I kinda hate myself for doing this. I don't get why both players can't be great. It has to be a "only one guy can be great" type attitude. 

10 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Luka vs. Trae January edition:

Luka: 22.9 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 6.5 APG, 2.5 TO, 42.8% FG, 31.4% 3FG, 67.4% FT
Trae: 18.4 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 7.2 APG, 4.0 TO, 43.5% FG, 32.5% 3FG, 86.7% FT

I kinda hate myself for doing this. I don't get why both players can't be great. It has to be a "only one guy can be great" type attitude. 

Trae has definitely stepped his game up in January. Both players are becoming more comfortable, and with Collins' rapid ascension into stardom and near-superstardom along with a rising Heurter pre-injury, I feel Trae will continue to rise.

The arrow is pointing up for both of these young stars.

24 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Trae has definitely stepped his game up in January. Both players are becoming more comfortable, and with Collins' rapid ascension into stardom and near-superstardom along with a rising Heurter pre-injury, I feel Trae will continue to rise.

The arrow is pointing up for both of these young stars.

Yeah I agree with this 100%. Trae/Huerter/Collins has been a great lineup this year when all are healthy. 

9 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

They also failed to mention he was 107/234 (.457) from the field and 34/87 (.391) from the 3pt line in his last 17 games.

I know that Prince is the new whipping boy, but his 4th quarter defense was stellar last night....

"....However, it was Taurean Prince who stepped into the spotlight in the fourth quarter in a resilient attempt to make false prophets of his critics (myself included). Up 10 with about eight minutes to play, Prince entered the game with a single assignment – shut down the league’s second-best fourth-quarter flamethrower. Lou Williams, who had been mostly dormant through three quarters, is liable to erupt at any time, and it was Prince who got the call from his head coach to ensure that Williams was not the one to beat his hometown Hawks on this night. Nothing on the defensive end is ever a one-man operation, but Prince acquitted himself about as well as one could reasonably hope, flashing the tantalizing 3-and-D upside that has waxed and waned over his three years in the NBA.

“That just shows [Pierce’s] trust in me,” Prince told Peachtree Hoops after the game. “I want that trust going forward and to be put in a bigger role as far as guarding the best players down the stretch or whatever that may be. Hopefully it continues.”

For one night, the defensive upside of Prince — and, by proxy, the upside of the team itself — was fully evident. Whether the third-year forward can turn out those performances on a consistent basis remains a key fulcrum of his value at the NBA level, but make no mistake, the talent is there and it will be up to both player and coaching staff to work together to find the role, and the motivation, that brings out the best nightly.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/1/29/18201745/atlanta-hawks-los-angeles-clippers-trae-young-john-collins-alex-len-taurean-prince-video-analysis

53 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Bazemore getting closer to return, just in time for the trade deadline next Thursday :D

Have you heard any rumors about any of our guys? 

32 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Have you heard any rumors about any of our guys? 

Nothing specific or new since a week ago, just the usual noise re: the vets - Baze, Lin and Ded....a blurb about Prince and a throw in mention of Dorsey.

"The Hawks have engaged with teams on veteran players Kent Bazemore and Dewayne Dedmon, but also have discussed forward Taurean Prince, league sources said. In his third season, Prince is averaging 14.1 points and 4.1 rebounds. Also worth monitoring: guard Tyler Dorsey. "  7 days ago – via The Athletic

"Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk made it clear that his team is certainly listening to trade offers ahead of the Feb. 7 NBA trade deadline. The team is clearly in rebuilding mode and almost certainly won’t make the playoffs this season, which makes Atlanta one of a handful of sure sellers. The Hawks were sellers last year and most people thought they would trade Marco Belinelli and Ersan Ilyasova at the deadline, but they didn’t because they couldn’t find the right deal to make. Schlenk repeated that the Hawks aren’t going to make a deal this year if it doesn’t make sense for them. “We’re looking for future assets,” Schlenk said."

blkbigdog35 likes this

35 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I think Lin and Dedmon are probably going to be the most sought after.  Dedmon has been playing really well.  

I'm hoping we can get real value for them, not just 2nds. We have 3 this year plus a plethora over the next 5 years.

I'd take a young high upside player and a 2nd.

Not interested in bad salary and 2nd, only a 1st.

If we can't get real value, let them expire and we keep our capspace for offseason.

Remember a player we had from a while ago named Kent Bazemore? Per my sports app, he is playing tonight on a 20 minute restriction. He has missed the last 14 games. 

Per my app, Sixers are quite interested in Dedmon to backup Embiid, but the Hawks are asking for Markell Fultz in return. Fultz, the former #1 overall pick, has been going through quite an ever-evolving and intriguing saga this year, and has a guaranteed $8.3M salary next year.

Thoughts?

9 hours ago, jayu70 said:

I'm hoping we can get real value for them, not just 2nds. We have 3 this year plus a plethora over the next 5 years.

I'd take a young high upside player and a 2nd.

Not interested in bad salary and 2nd, only a 1st.

If we can't get real value, let them expire and we keep our capspace for offseason.

Agreed and I can’t see Schlenk entertaining bad salary dumps.  Hopefully with the young talent playing well and with another good draft pick maybe it will be enticing for a top free agent!

I blame it on 2 things:

1. Baze, as soon as he comes back, we get blown out  . I kid of course, lol.

2. The guys went bowling on their off day, lol.

Seriously though, we got beat on the boards, too many turnovers, not enough freethrows, really putrid defense. 3rd quarter meltdown reared it's head after being MIA in a long while. Nothing went right. It happens.

Good to see Huerter and Prince get their shooting back on track.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Per my app, Sixers are quite interested in Dedmon to backup Embiid, but the Hawks are asking for Markell Fultz in return. Fultz, the former #1 overall pick, has been going through quite an ever-evolving and intriguing saga this year, and has a guaranteed $8.3M salary next year.

Thoughts?

I would take that deal. Fultz needs a change of scenery. 

But I don't know why Philly would do that. 

19 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I would take that deal. Fultz needs a change of scenery. 

But I don't know why Philly would do that. 

I'd probably take it, too! Article said the Sixers have a really good starting unit (they do) but have no bench and would like some quality depth.