2 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

Don’t think you will TeCo back. Poole will get the 2nd round tenure. I think you see Grady and Sambrailo resigned no doubt.

I see Schraeder as a no doubt cut along with Vic Beasley. TD will try and extended 44, but unless he’s willing to take $5MM, I see Irving and Julio getting the money saved by resending his 5th year tag.

As with Turbo last year, no reason to tender Poole. Kazee looked much better in the slot during preseason than Poole has looked in three years. Poole's INTs against scrub teams this year should not impact the team's judgement.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Just digging around spotrac and we got potential cuts that would free up space before FA starts. (Some discussed in threads past)

Here is the 2019 projected cap hits:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cap/2019/

Alford would save $7.9M on the cap early; as post 6/1 only yields $600k more (by splitting dead money between 19/20 vs all on 19 cap) and would let us have more flexibility for the start of UFA.

Brooks Reed would yield $4.5M straight off of his projected $5.44M cap hit.

The only looming cut worth being post-6/1 designated is Schraeder; who would still have a dead cap of $1.3M (19) and $2.5M (20) with a savings for 19 of $6.45M. So, it's possible they restructure him instead, but if Ty is back Schraeder is a post 6/1 designation, IMO.

The only contract situation that's even more strange is the $12.81M cap Beasley carries on his 5th year option that we picked up; which if rescinded makes him an UFA. Without getting an extension out of him, is that worth it for one year and FA next season gets him overpaid in another defensive system? Cut losses or extend if he can be had for a Brooks Reed type cap hit on the average? I doubt he takes that. Someone is gonna overpay for him like TeCo, IMO.

Presuming VB is back with that hit it's still a gain of $12.4 in time for FA on 2 moves alone and another $6.45M for 6/1 if anyone is left or cut at that time.

That means we could be roughly $38M in space before Grady/TeCo/Julio. Julio won't change the 2019 hit much. Grady and TeCo together would take $20M of the space according to market value; leaving $18M for every other FA. (Some of it needed for draft due to rule of 51)

FAs we probably want back from this list (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/atlanta-falcons/):

Jarrett

TeCo

Poole

Irvin

Ish

Sambrailo

Paulsen (for blocking alone)

Hall or Hardy back?

Wreh-Wilson? (if cutting Rocky)

If we swing the cap space open like this and Grady comes back close to $15M averaged out (with contract designed to accommodate other FAs in 2020 like Debo, Hoop etc), who can we get in FA that would help our draft targets? Any pending FAs we might go for on OL or DL? Any vet CBs better than Rocky? Which position is best money spent in FA for our projected 2019 roster?

Good discussion!  But if I'm making choices for this team, Ish is not on my list for next year; and I'm only considering one of Poole/Bidi...There are only 3 priorities on that list...Grady, TeCo and Irvin...

29 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I could see someone doing it on beasley. He has a 1st team all pro under his belt. Coleman on the other hand doesn’t have a 1000 yard season to his name

Sure, but neither did Michael Turner when we handed him a sizable FA contract, or Jerrick McKinnon before the 49ers gave him a a lucrative deal. Guys like Carlos Hyde & Dion Lewis are getting deals worth about $5M/year via free agency, so Coleman may be wise to at least test the market to see what other teams are willing to spend for his services.

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I actually have a gut feeling that both Beasley and Teco are coming back, both on new contracts. 

Me too; unless the big picture for Jeremy Langford was to be a cheaper replacement for Tevin? Langford actually has the skillset to lessen the blow of losing TC... but we've all grown to love what TeCo brings to the field!

I also see us extending Sanu to free up some cap room this year.  Possibly restructure Trufant?

5 minutes ago, k-train said:

Sure, but neither did Michael Turner when we handed him a sizable FA contract, or Jerrick McKinnon before the 49ers gave him a a lucrative deal. Guys like Carlos Hyde & Dion Lewis are getting deals worth about $5M/year via free agency, so Coleman may be wise to at least test the market to see what other teams are willing to spend for his services.

I would be more than comfortable offering TeCo 5 Mil...

1 minute ago, Falconcheff said:

Good discussion!  But if I'm making choices for this team, Ish is not on my list for next year; and I'm only considering one of Poole/Bidi...There are only 3 priorities on that list...Grady, TeCo and Irvin...

I agree with this. I liked what Ish brought, but feel like the days of him having much to offer are done & we need to continue filling roles like his with  developmental prospects, not guys with zero upside.

Poole has far more in-game experience the Wilson & while not a major part of the D, he's been a solid contributor. He is a guy who does not shy away from contact, so he could be used at safety in an absolute pinch. Poole is also going to be 27 next season, while Wilson will be 30. All of that makes me think bringing back Poole in almost a no-brainer.

2 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Just digging around spotrac and we got potential cuts that would free up space before FA starts. (Some discussed in threads past)

Here is the 2019 projected cap hits:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cap/2019/

Alford would save $7.9M on the cap early; as post 6/1 only yields $600k more (by splitting dead money between 19/20 vs all on 19 cap) and would let us have more flexibility for the start of UFA.

Brooks Reed would yield $4.5M straight off of his projected $5.44M cap hit.

The only looming cut worth being post-6/1 designated is Schraeder; who would still have a dead cap of $1.3M (19) and $2.5M (20) with a savings for 19 of $6.45M. So, it's possible they restructure him instead, but if Ty is back Schraeder is a post 6/1 designation, IMO.

The only contract situation that's even more strange is the $12.81M cap Beasley carries on his 5th year option that we picked up; which if rescinded makes him an UFA. Without getting an extension out of him, is that worth it for one year and FA next season gets him overpaid in another defensive system? Cut losses or extend if he can be had for a Brooks Reed type cap hit on the average? I doubt he takes that. Someone is gonna overpay for him like TeCo, IMO.

Presuming VB is back with that hit it's still a gain of $12.4 in time for FA on 2 moves alone and another $6.45M for 6/1 if anyone is left or cut at that time.

That means we could be roughly $38M in space before Grady/TeCo/Julio. Julio won't change the 2019 hit much. Grady and TeCo together would take $20M of the space according to market value; leaving $18M for every other FA. (Some of it needed for draft due to rule of 51)

FAs we probably want back from this list (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/atlanta-falcons/):

Jarrett

TeCo

Poole

Irvin

Ish

Sambrailo

Paulsen (for blocking alone)

Hall or Hardy back?

Wreh-Wilson? (if cutting Rocky)

If we swing the cap space open like this and Grady comes back close to $15M averaged out (with contract designed to accommodate other FAs in 2020 like Debo, Hoop etc), who can we get in FA that would help our draft targets? Any pending FAs we might go for on OL or DL? Any vet CBs better than Rocky? Which position is best money spent in FA for our projected 2019 roster?

moving to outside linebacker  see what happens

1 minute ago, Falconcheff said:

I would be more than comfortable offering TeCo 5 Mil...

Yeah, that's likely to be his market value, but I'd love to offer something closer to $3.5M-$4M annually with incentives to get it to $5M w/ bonuses for yardage, TDs, playing time (in case Free goes down again & Teco has to get the bulk of the work), etc.

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

I agree with this. I liked what Ish brought, but feel like the days of him having much to offer are done & we need to continue filling roles like his with  developmental prospects, not guys with zero upside.

Poole has far more in-game experience the Wilson & while not a major part of the D, he's been a solid contributor. He is a guy who does not shy away from contact, so he could be used at safety in an absolute pinch. Poole is also going to be 27 next season, while Wilson will be 30. All of that makes me think bringing back Poole in almost a no-brainer.

All great points!  Ish was actually a priority resigning in my book last year, but he didn't bring what we needed when we NEEDED it...saw a huge dropoff in his ability/desire(?) this year.  

I agree about Poole as well...have seen enough of him in previous years to know he's a grit football player who's valuable enough to get the nod over BWW...

30 minutes ago, k-train said:

I don’t think 5 mil a year is lucrative though. What Freeman got is lucrative. But he was coming off back to back 1600 yard seasons. He was a premier back in this league. I feel like what dion Lewis and McKinnon got is the norm for good role player backs. IMO both of those players have shown better results than Coleman too. 

11 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I don’t think 5 mil a year is lucrative though. What Freeman got is lucrative. But he was coming off back to back 1600 yard seasons. He was a premier back in this league. I feel like what dion Lewis and McKinnon got is the norm for good role player backs. IMO both of those players have shown better results than Coleman too. 

But that's the thing... the Titans & 49ers didn't already have a HB on the roster that was getting paid well like we have w/ Free.

While $5M/year isn't absurd, it does put a guy in the current top 12 avg. per year amongst all HBs.

Freeman is currently 4th. Giving Coleman $5M would have him in the top 15 when all is said & done, too.

So giving him $5M/year might not be a big deal for a lot of other teams, there is definitely an argument to be made that we are not in a position to tie up that much cap room at HB.

My offers would be:

figure out what it takes to keep Jarrett, period.

$5-6/yr on Beasley or kick rocks 

$3-4/yr in Coleman or kick rocks 

Poole can walk no tender as Kazee should be our new NB

$4-5/yr on Irvin, he is older and Vic played as well down the stretch

1 year, $2-3 for sambrillo for insurance 

Garland, Ish, Paulson, Hardy, can all test FA and maybe come back post draft on a deal. Wren Wilson can be brought back post draft if we need him...he isn’t even active on game day. Hall May be RFA, so he will be back cheap.

schreader and Alford would be insta-cuts. Same for Reed and maybe re-sign post draft. Would keep Fusco around for competition and depth at worst. 

Re-doing Jones deal could provide us some early cap relief. Should be in a decent spot to get our key guys signed and get a nice FA or two as well. I wouldn’t mind seeing what we can do with Donta Fowler. 

Also going to have to consider our coaching changes to see what we need on OL. Mack and Matthews can play in any scheme, not sure nor do I care about the rest.

if the money is there, re-up Debo a year early also. 

3 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

Don’t think you will TeCo back. Poole will get the 2nd round tenure. I think you see Grady and Sambrailo resigned no doubt.

I see Schraeder as a no doubt cut along with Vic Beasley. TD will try and extended 44, but unless he’s willing to take $5MM, I see Irving and Julio getting the money saved by resending his 5th year tag.

Agree. That money has to come from somewhere. Beasley will be the odd man out as to who gets the big payday, at least with us.

1 hour ago, Falconcheff said:

I kind’ve agree on all points in general, but who you got more next year if it were a choice: Duke or Ish?

4 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

No to Teco, Hall or Hardy.  WE can get equal or better in the draft.

To me it depends on TeCo’s contract, but his speed is a good weapon for our roster out of the backfield and with Free in question. Fix the OL and it doesn’t really matter the RB tho, but it hopefully is a healthy Free.

Hall can be a vertical weapon in a Koetter offense and is he really an ERFA?

The cap is not that hard to manipulate...Beasley is staying, Grady is getting a contract, Julio, Trufant and Sanu (possibly even Free) are extending/restructuring...

Schweitzer and Schraeder are getting released for the good of the team... 

TeCo is a big question mark to me...would love to see him stay but I'm wondering if Jeremy Langford was brought in to lessen the blow of not being able to keep him at what he'll likely be offered by another team (between 5-6 Mil)

In FA we need:

WR ( Hall/Hardy or another such FA WR; assuming Julio, Sanu, Ridley and Gage)

Backup qb (1.5Mil tops!  No more of this 4.5 Mil backup!)

3-4 FA Olinemen (this could include some of our own, like Levitre or Sambrailo...but really, of our current crop, we should only be keeping Matthews, Mack, Gono and Fusco...that leaves A LOT of revamping between the Draft and FA)

In the draft we need:

First round DT

Second round LB

Third Round OL

Fourth Round LB

5th-7th Secondary

1 hour ago, k-train said:

Poole played strongly after the poor start this year. He also was one of the main reasons we limited Gurley in our playoff game.

Big time bring him back. RFA him a 2nd rounder at minimum.

Ish is probably getting long in the tooth. Just doesn’t solve LB security with Debo. Vondre seems maxed and we need insurance. Both are UFA next year.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
8 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I kind’ve agree on all points in general, but who you got more next year if it were a choice: Duke or Ish?

I get the question, but it's not a choice.  Duke is under a rookie contract, cheap.  Ish is a FA (who, honestly will only likely command a 1-1.2 Mil salary, but even still...); with the bringing on of Bruce Irvin, his resigning is more of a priority which also makes Ish more expendable...

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Poole played strongly after the poor start this year. He also was one of the main reasons we limited Gurley in our playoff game.

Big time bring him back.

Ish is probably getting long in the tooth. Just doesn’t solve LB security with Debo. Vondre seems maxed and we need insurance. Both are UFA next year.

I think Campbell was just being asked to do too much this year in Debo's absence & was forced too far out of his comfort zone. I feel like he's gonna be really good for us again once he's back to playing when, where, and how he's best suited to find success... not unlike Beasley... and I feel better about that with DQ taking the reins on defense.

I like that Foye has gotten a ton of playing time this season & am interested to see his progression moving forward. I think Riley is decent as depth/ST contributor. But agree we need to continue to build our LB corps. There are a few UFAs I think wouldn't break the bank & could be useful to us for a few years.

4 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I guess the Ish question may boil down to STs but like you said Duke is under contract 2 more years.

Irvin back no question!

Yessir!  The question is not Ish or Duke, it's Ish or Irvin...and I think we're all in agreement there...give Irvin Ish's Mil!!  I also see us needing a Second Round LB...

DeBo, DeVondre, Foye, Irvin, Duke (shudder) and Second round draft pick... are we comfortable with that as our LB corps?