Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draftnut57

Get DBs and And OL in Facy,, Draft the rest.

17 posts in this topic

 Sure , we can draft a OL and a DB in latter rounds ,, but I wouldn't take a chance on these two positions in the Draft.. Use those draft picks to get everything else we need. Maybe we can chance a couple of picks late on the DBs and OL,, But we don't need to use high picks on them,, It's more critical to take OL that has been proven,  Lets build a super strong OL and DL,, Getting our DL in first two rounds,, a lot of awesome talent in that area... 

  And yes , I'm saying the OL is most critical part of success, And it always seems best to draft DL early.. That's all I'm trying to say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

 Sure , we can draft a OL and a DB in latter rounds ,, but I wouldn't take a chance on these two positions in the Draft.. Use those draft picks to get everything else we need. Maybe we can chance a couple of picks late on the DBs and OL,, But we don't need to use high picks on them,, It's more critical to take OL that has been proven,  Lets build a super strong OL and DL,, Getting our DL in first two rounds,, a lot of awesome talent in that area... 

  And yes , I'm saying the OL is most critical part of success, And it always seems best to draft DL early.. That's all I'm trying to say...

we have a lot of problems on the defensive line at the DE position and the linebacker position.  So we actually cannot draft OL  in the first 3 rounds. 

Draftnut57 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree this draft needs to be focused on the lines. Round 1 a stud DT....we have a need there and at pick 14 we should have some excellent choices, hoping for Simmons.

In round 2, just so happens there will be some very good interior OL options. I really like the OC Jenkins. He could start immediately at OG and move over to Center when Mack retires. Mack is 33 years old, he might only have a couple more years left, while our Super Bowl window with Ryan is longer.....maybe 5 more years.

In round 3 there should be some quality pass rush specialists.

 

robertap and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

And yes , I'm saying the OL is most critical part of success, And it always seems best to draft DL early.. That's all I'm trying to say...

I think that it's always best to draft for the lines early.  It seems that there are always plenty of late round RB's, WR's, LB's that end up being superstars.  If you want really good lines, you have to invest high draft picks into them, consistently. 

There is far less NFL quality line talent coming out of college than skill position talent.  There's also a huge drop off from the 1st to 2nd tier talent on the lines.  Thus, you have to go get that good talent.  You can acquire the other pieces in free agency much more easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gazoo said:

I totally agree this draft needs to be focused on the lines. Round 1 a stud DT....we have a need there and at pick 14 we should have some excellent choices, hoping for Simmons.

In round 2, just so happens there will be some very good interior OL options. I really like the OC Jenkins. He could start immediately at OG and move over to Center when Mack retires. Mack is 33 years old, he might only have a couple more years left, while our Super Bowl window with Ryan is longer.....maybe 5 more years.

In round 3 there should be some quality pass rush specialists.

 

Agree with most of that,,  But would pick a DE in the second rd.. eather that or go DE, DT, Then OL  ,, Main thang is to keep the main Thang the main thang!!  WE need pass rushers in the form of a DE and or a DT,, hopefully both. Then pick an Ol in the 3rd round and get a quality Free agent OL as well, that must be covered,, But Id rather get vet OL anyway... can't take a chance on that... 

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

Since it has been reported that this will be a deep year for DL, shouldn't we use our first pick for a stud O Lineman ?  We can get a fire breathing D Lineman in the second round.  We will still need to go to FA for a couple more O Linemen.  We can decide who the best O Linemen are on our current roster and cut the rest..

You may be right,, I'm sill trying to get down what I think would be best... Lets just put it this way,, If there is a top no brainer in the first or second round,, then yes.. take Him.. But I'd prefer to get our OL in Facy to make sure we know who we have.. There is always a reason to change directions.. in philosophy ,,, bottom line,, we just need to be smart in FAcy and the Draft.Won't be long till I'll have my only Mock ,, Well no wait,, it will be a while.. I wait until after the combines,, I've gotten pretty good at picking out really good talent by watching them work out.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brewcrew said:

I feel like DB is one area where TD has been really good at drafting.  

I agree on OL.  It seems like one whiff after the other.  

DL has improved since Pioli joined the scouting dept and Quinn got here.

Have you seen TRU and Alford play lately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Agree with most of that,,  But would pick a DE in the second rd.. eather that or go DE, DT, Then OL  ,, Main thang is to keep the main Thang the main thang!!  WE need pass rushers in the form of a DE and or a DT,, hopefully both. Then pick an Ol in the 3rd round and get a quality Free agent OL as well, that must be covered,, But Id rather get vet OL anyway... can't take a chance on that... 

I absolutely want to get a starting veteran OL via free agency as well as draft an OL. We need at least 2 more starter capable.

If we land a pentrating, disruptive DT to line up next to Grady, I believe the  current pass rushers we have will be far more productive,. We need to keep Irvin and draft a specialist.

I really think a stud DT next to Grady changes everything, makes everyone else better.  With one of our 4th or 5th rounders we could also draft a  it run stuffed to rotate.  Senat will definitely get better, but I th8nk his ceiling is limited.

 

Draftnut57 and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gazoo said:

If we land a pentrating, disruptive DT to line up next to Grady, I believe the  current pass rushers we have will be far more productive,. We need to keep Irvin and draft a specialist.

I really think a stud DT next to Grady changes everything, makes everyone else better.  With one of our 4th or 5th rounders we could also draft a  it run stuffed to rotate.  Senat will definitely get better, but I th8nk his ceiling is limited.

We don't need penetration, we need our DT's to collapse the pocket so that QB's can't step up.  We get to see this happen week after week with Matt Ryan.  He can't step into throws, so he either gets sacked, or throws a moon shot.

Beasley is great at winning the edge.  But that's about all that he's great at.  If we can get push up the middle, Beasley will get more sacks.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you looked at who is actually available in free agency? Even before teams re-sign their own free agents, it's a very thin free agent market along the offensive line. The best available guard might be a twice-injured Andy Levitre. Just don't be so sure we can fix the offensive line through free agency alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, robertap said:

We don't need penetration, we need our DT's to collapse the pocket so that QB's can't step up.  We get to see this happen week after week with Matt Ryan.  He can't step into throws, so he either gets sacked, or throws a moon shot.

Beasley is great at winning the edge.  But that's about all that he's great at.  If we can get push up the middle, Beasley will get more sacks.

Yes, we need a DT who can penetrate and collapse pocket. It’s not either or, I want a dominant DT who can win the battle in a variety of ways, quickness, strength, power, etc to line up next to Grady. For run and pass defense.

The quickest way to the QB is the A gaps, a QB cannot step up and throw, cannot step up to avoid pressure from DEs and a defense that has two dominant DTs can scheme just about any way they want each week to attack an offense. 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, virginiafalcon said:

Have you looked at who is actually available in free agency? Even before teams re-sign their own free agents, it's a very thin free agent market along the offensive line. The best available guard might be a twice-injured Andy Levitre. Just don't be so sure we can fix the offensive line through free agency alone.

I do not know who might come available as far as OG. We were lucky to get Mack the way we did. Good Cs rarely become available in FA. 

Fortunately there will be some interior OL who could most likely start immediately at our second round pick. There are usually older OGs cut for cap reasons so if that’s how we have to do it that is fine as long as we draft a young guy who can start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign OL and DL in FA. Draft BPA at 14. CB is nice in this draft too. Greedy Williams,Trayvon Mullin,DeAndre Baker,and Byron Murphy all have 1st rd grades. If we could get Christian Wilkins in the 2nd and a pass rusher in the 3rd I wouldn't be mad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gazoo said:

I do not know who might come available as far as OG. We were lucky to get Mack the way we did. Good Cs rarely become available in FA. 

Fortunately there will be some interior OL who could most likely start immediately at our second round pick. There are usually older OGs cut for cap reasons so if that’s how we have to do it that is fine as long as we draft a young guy who can start.

The people suggesting that we, "fix," the OL through Free Agency don't seem to understand that's been our strategy for the last 10 years.  We need to BUILD the OL and DL.  Teams don't typically let their OL and DL talent walk.  Mack was a special case because Mack wanted to play for a winner.

As you said, even if we find someone in FA to fill a hole, it's a stopgap.  We still need to go out and acquire young talent to build, not only the starting OL, but also the depth.  We can't rely on 7th rounders and UDFA's to step in if someone goes down. 

We might get lucky on those 7th rounders and UDFA's once in a while, but since Matt Ryan has been here, we've only used 5 first, second, or third round picks on OL.  Only one of those are still on the team.  That's not nearly enough investment in the OL, and it's an absolutely abysmal hit rate.  The Falcons have to get better, and as long as they're using those top picks on WR's and CB's, the lines are going to continue to be hot garbage.

egoprime II and gazoo like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want the F O to use their money to get a real stud F A, O-Lineman. Fresh out of college O-Lineman usually have a learning curve against mean, fast NFL D-Linemen. I would draft an O-Lineman in the 3rd or 4th round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FA offensive line class is garbage.  Who do you want to sign? I'm going the opposite direction and drafting OL in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites