The Don™

Koetter to Interview for OC spot

163 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I'd rather have Bevell than Kutty. I've had enough of that pass happy crap. Don't forget Kutty only had one good year when he was  here. And even that year it was all passing. He never found a running game in Atlanta. 

Who did he have at RB? Julio missed almost all of 2013 and the OL was very poor too.

Washed up Burner then SJax and we want to not give him a shot now? We gotta get our OL right anyway and we just saw Sark without one. Matt is a better player now, too.

2 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

I did think about those things

Got it, so 3 new starters, 3 new backups (minimum) , OLine gels, oline learns new scheme with all new players (minus 2) and thats our best choice?

Cant dig it. Hard pass.

6 minutes ago, ICUH8N said:

I am ok if DK comes back since he will the best available if Kubiak is off the table. Matt likes him so this could be a gift in disguise for old relationships rekindling. 

The guy had the #3 offense with the Bucs... We are way too judgemental and too subjective at times. If Matt Ryan wants Dirk, then so be it. 

The man has experience and knows how to be Coordinator. Matt Ryan doesn’t need new schemes because now he has mastered this system from Kyle. Dirk will provide the same template for Matt. 

He is the best available choice for the Falcons...

Geneaut likes this

11 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Yes but you are thinking short vision. You will need these 3 starters PLUS backups for the scheme change. So while you need 3 starters, your current backups of Wes, Garland, Beatles, Gano, Fusco arent power/gap guys they are Zone guys..... You have to think about these things, starters don't always stay healthy.

If the starters are due for an overhaul and guys previously on roster this year weren’t it for the ZBS anyway? Then, that’s not really the issue. Garland is a FA anyway and Wes is on his final year in ‘19. Not like he earned a long term job yet himself.

And it’s not a zone abandonment either.

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Who did he have at RB? Julio missed almost all of 2013 and the OL was very poor too.

Washed up Burner then SJac and we want to not give him a shot now? We gotta get our OL right now and we just saw Sark without one. Matt is a better player now, too.

Same thing in TB bro. Dude is a pass happy run abandoning journeyman.

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I’ll just say this on interviewing Koetter....All you Sark haters, better be careful what you wish for. Grass is not always greener on other side. 

Koetter is a better Sark.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Same thing in TB bro. Dude is a pass happy run abandoning journeyman.

You miss what I’m saying. We are needing an OL and Free is better when back than he has had in TB or in his time here!

So, what better time than now when he can come in and we get the OL right? It was a problem regardless of scheme or coach change moving forward.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

We are gonna throw more pics with Koetter - just based on how he schemes open his guys unless we have a killer run game. Which ofcourse needs to happen regardless if we want to win a superbowl.

10 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Kubiak>Bevell>Koetter

Been trying to school these youngins, just cause Bevell blew one sb call doesn't mean he's a bad coach. He atleast has proven he can get you to the big game and win one. You got to run the ball in the playoffs to win.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Posted (edited)

So if we fix the OL; even get a scheme change to some degree instead of exclusively zone, and let’s say Free is back...we don’t want Koetter?

Id love to see him here with a legit OL closer to 2012 (read better) and without a washed up RB. Free has no mileage. Just get him back from the surgery and a decent plan B. Instantly a better RB situation than SJax or 2012 Turner ever was for Koetter.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

1 hour ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Lots of people owe D Led an apology. Instead, they'll make up some excuse as to why they don't.

I do... I didn’t believe it for one second lol

Bunchy Carter likes this

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

He did have top 10 rushing offenses in 2007, 2009, 2010 in Jax and 2015 in Tampa. In Atlanta he had over the hill Steven Jackson which didn't help him much.

Didn't do anything with Freeman, who became a two-time Pro-bowler with Shanahan.

I have no problem with Koetter being OC. Many people thought, myself included, that the offense was doing fine with Koetter as OC when Smitty was fired.

The OL and DL is another story. That falls on Dimi and Quinn.

Now if Quinn wants Koetter to keep Shanny's playbook that might be a problem. But I think Ryan and Koetter can figure out what works best.

Ergo Proxy likes this

27 minutes ago, RLD said:

I don't think we fired him, did we? I think he was hired as a head coach.

He packed his own bags and left because quinn was bringing in shanny... he went on to be the bucs OC under lovie smith

1. Matt likes Dirk.

2. Quinn has faced Dirk-led offenses eight times in the last four years. Tampa won three of those games, while averaging almost 26 points (never under 20). Dirk had significantly less offensive firepower with which to work. Quinn, when hiring Shanny, spoke about how difficult it was to scheme against Shanny’s offense. I think he might feel the same way about Dirk after the last four years. 

3. Also, Matt REALLY likes Dirk. 

Dirk may be the front runner. 

Bringing Koetter in makes a lot of sense.  Ryan and Julio know the play book, so does Hardy.  Shanahan kept a lot of Koetters concepts and terminology and most importantly Ryan will have a huge say in how the offense is run.  The big problem with bringing in someone new is that they are going to want to implement their system.  A lot of Koetters is already here and I don't think there will be much of a change at all.  Koetter can focus on game planning and calling games and not having to get the team on the same page.  Koetter runs a hybrid zone/man blocking scheme and uses his talent at WR to run that four deep offense and to set-up the run and short passing game.  The philosophy is backward from what Shanahan ran (run and use the short passing game to set-up the deep game).  Both use play action a lot.

With Koetter, Quinn can focus on the defense which is why he was brought in. Kubiak to me seems like a one or two year rental. In two years the Falcons will be looking for another OC.

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

If we sign Koetter we need to resign coleman and just run 5 wide all game with Freeman, coleman, Julio, Sanu and ridley. Invest heavily in the ol and let Matt throw 700 times. 

At least the wr/rb screen will work this time hahaha.

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

I guess gotta give ole Dled some credit. I could see some Matt Ryan influence going into the Koetter interest. He loved working with Koetter. 

Koetter wouldn't be my first choice (Kubiak) and his offenses weren't that creative.  I just wonder how he'd use all the weapons the Falcons now have.  

30 minutes ago, Macintez said:

I do... I didn’t believe it for one second lol

When people are standup individuals it's REFRESHING. Salute to you!

10 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Koetter wouldn't be my first choice (Kubiak) and his offenses weren't that creative.  I just wonder how he'd use all the weapons the Falcons now have.  

He was able to use the weapons we had in 2012 when everyone was healthy.

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

He was able to use the weapons we had in 2012 when everyone was healthy.

What weapons?  I just remember them going to Julio 90% of the time.  Roddy, Harry,Tony? They're the other 10%

46 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Didn't do anything with Freeman, who became a two-time Pro-bowler with Shanahan.

That I never understood, though to be honest Smitty never liked using rookies for whatever reason. That shouldn't be an issue now, unless Freeman is broken for good.

Ergo Proxy likes this