The Don™

Koetter to Interview for OC spot

163 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, runshoot said:

People are rightfully worried about Koetter. His run offense is based on power/gap principles and NOT zone principles. That would mean 2 new OGs and a new RT. Mathews and Mack are good enough to handle the scheme change.

We need those things whether we stay with a ZBS or not lol

Just now, RLD said:

And yet, we lost. The offense was predictable. Ryan got a lot of those yards because they were trying to catch up, playing from behind.

No he didn't.

That myth had debunked several times over.

We lost because we cannot consistently protect Ryan or the football.

And we lost because the defense gave up alot of points and yards

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, runshoot said:

People are rightfully worried about Koetter. His run offense is based on power/gap principles and NOT zone principles. That would mean 2 new OGs and a new RT. Mathews and Mack are good enough to handle the scheme change.

lol lucky for us that is pretty much exactly the change we have to make anyway. I wouldn't be mad if we got Dirk back, he did pretty well in the 2012 playoffs. But I do worry about how the offense got shut down in the 2nd half against the 49ers. Maybe he has learned, also he has HC experience so he can run the offense all by himself as DQ focuses on the defense. The hire would make lots of sense. 

Edited by FalconBlood23

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Koetter runs a lot of zone blocking. It isn’t outside zone mostly, but his isn’t really a man blocking scheme. 

He drafted Matthews. Mack can run his system. Those are our best two linemen. He also selected Schraeder. That’s 3 of 4. The real problem is (and remains) the guards. 

Yup.

Matthews has always been a zone style tackle

JDaveG likes this

16 minutes ago, atljbo said:

dude the bucs  are Peyton freakin Barber was there starting RB bruh... You play towards your personnel

Isn't he in charge of shopping for the ingredients? You also have to account for the fact that we will be moving from Zbs to power man which isn't Alex Mack's strength and requires a new coaching staff and at minimum 2 strong guards that can pull. Also going to need brand new power backs.

I am ok if DK comes back since he will the best available if Kubiak is off the table. Matt likes him so this could be a gift in disguise for old relationships rekindling. 

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

We need two new guards and a right tackle regardless of what scheme we run

6 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

We need those things whether we stay with a ZBS or not lol

Yes but you are thinking short vision. You will need these 3 starters PLUS backups for the scheme change. So while you need 3 starters, your current backups of Wes, Garland, Beatles, Gano, Fusco arent power/gap guys they are Zone guys..... You have to think about these things, starters don't always stay healthy.

Edited by runshoot

Just now, FalconBlood23 said:

lol lucky for us that is pretty much exactly the change we have to many anyway. I wouldn't be mad if we got Dirk back, he did pretty well in the 2012 playoffs. But I do worry about how the offense got shut down in the 2nd half against the 49ers. Maybe he has learned, also he has HC experience so he can run the offense all by himself as DQ focuses on the defense. The hire would make lots of sense. 

If Hd keeps his footing and moonwalks into the endzone....or Roddy does not slip on a timing route......or Ryan does not take his eye off of the snap .......if any of those 3 things do not happen we win that game.

Those mistakes were not on DK

40 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

O-line is an issue. And please remember — Koetter and no o-line is a big reason why Mike Smith got fired. 

I always liked him more than most here. But upgrading the o-line is not optional if he’s the guy. 

I’d go Koetter if it’s not Kubiak. He is way closer to GK than DB. No question.

Matt and Julio know most of his routes/general approach and could translate for their positions; teammates at the details.

It wouldn’t be as difficult changing schemes due to familiarity and Dirk has faced Falcons WCO style for several years now; plus his own development with less talent (outside of WR) while in TB.

Just now, falconsd56 said:

If Hd keeps his footing and moonwalks into the endzone....or Roddy does not slip on a timing route......or Ryan does not take his eye off of the snap .......if any of those 3 things do not happen we win that game.

Yeah now that I think back we missed so many chances to get forward. DK did call a pretty solid game, no fault on him. Man if we can just fix the oline as much as possible I think it would make for a killer offense and a killer D as DQ takes that over. 

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

Isn't he in charge of shopping for the ingredients? You also have to account for the fact that we will be moving from Zbs to power man which isn't Alex Mack's strength and requires a new coaching staff and at minimum 2 strong guards that can pull. Also going to need brand new power backs.

People aren't listening.

People think this is MAdden game and they can just "go get 3 new OL", oh and wait we need at least a swing tackle and a backup G and backup OG/C too. 

Once you have these at minimum 5 new players, you have to gel, come together as a unit and also learn the play book....SImple right?..sheesh

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

I’ll just say this on interviewing Koetter....All you Sark haters, better be careful what you wish for. Grass is not always greener on other side. 

falconsd56 likes this

52 minutes ago, Jesus said:

He did have top 10 rushing offenses in 2007, 2009, 2010 in Jax and 2015 in Tampa. In Atlanta he had over the hill Steven Jackson which didn't help him much.

I was just looking at that.  Even his first two years in TB he was top 10 in rush attempts, just got away from that this year.  Our offense is definitely more talented now, than it was when he was in Atlanta the first time or TB's currently.  I'd be okay with him coming here, especially over Bevell.  

Ergo Proxy likes this

54 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I dont ge why ppls are so down on Koetter.... I get  at times he can get to cute but i think he is a good OC.

I think yall just dont want him because he was the OC before.. I want Kubiak but im not going to act like Dirk sucks just because i want this guy as the OC

I know we all want Kubiak but the Broncos is not letting him out the house... We have to move on.....

I'd rather have Bevell than Kutty. I've had enough of that pass happy crap. Don't forget Kutty only had one good year when he was  here. And even that year it was all passing. He never found a running game in Atlanta. 

43 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Matt got hurt and yes made the fumbled snap mistake.

Also, Turner was washed up that year and that hurt our ability to run ball with 17-0 lead. SF could eek their way back vs our no run D “defense” it was a slow death.

falconsd56 likes this

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I'd rather have Bevell than Kutty. I've had enough of that pass happy crap. Don't forget Kutty only had one good year when he was  here. And even that year it was all passing. He never found a running game in Atlanta. 

That's fair, but this offense is already built to be pass happy.

3 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Yes but you are thinking short vision. You will need these 3 starters PLUS backups for the scheme change. So while you need 3 starters, your current backups of Wes, Garland, Beatles, Gano, Fusco.... You have to think about these things, starters don't always stay healthy.

I did think about those things

1 minute ago, D.B.N. said:

So we gonna re-hire someone we originally fired? Makes perfect sense 

I believe he was either let go because DQ brought in someone or he got hired on as the Bucs HC. I do not think we actually fired him. 

42 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

O-line is an issue. And please remember — Koetter and no o-line is a big reason why Mike Smith got fired. 

I always liked him more than most here. But upgrading the o-line is not optional if he’s the guy. 

I think the 32nd ranked defense was a bigger reason why Smitty was fired

Ergo Proxy likes this

Regardless of if Matt knows his playbook, the majority of our players do not. Gonna be a learning curve. This will also mark the end of Shanahan’s offense here. Not that 2017 & 2018 looked much like his offense anyway. 

Just now, FalconBlood23 said:

I believe he was either let go because DQ brought in someone or he got hired on as the Bucs HC. I do not think we actually fired him. 

He was never fired. I believe we just never offered him a contract. I believe assistants work on a 1 or 2 year contract 

FalconBlood23 and Vandy like this

58 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Kubiak>Koetter>Bevell

i want Kubiak but Koetter actually did a pretty good job here and him and Matt seemed to click really well. 

Kubiak>Bevell>Koetter

Dutty Ole Bird likes this