SpongeDad

Latest CBS Mock Draft

56 posts in this topic

ATL.png14. Atlanta Falcons

Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida. Same as last week. Former first-round rushers Takk McKinley and Vic Beasley have combined for 12.0 sacks but the Falcons could choose to move on from Beasley after the season. Polite had 11 sacks in 13 games for the Gators. He has an explosive first step and off-the-chart physical abilities, and his knack for getting in the backfield was unrivaled at times this fall. 

r440755_1296x729_16-9.jpg

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-land-eli-mannings-successor-49ers-go-best-player-available-despite-other-needs/

Noteable:

MIA.png13. Miami Dolphins Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

CIN.png11. Cincinnati Bengals Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama.

* I can see TD moving up for Oliver or Williams if the draft went like this. 

Im on board. Dude is bigger than Vic and Takk and usuallys plays around 265 lbs. He can win with speed or power and he has violent hands. Of course I think DE, DT and OG are all of equal importance so grabbing Oliver or J. Williams would make me happy

KCFalcon22 and Ergo Proxy like this

2 minutes ago, Cole World said:

I’ll be very Polite but please No. Don’t want another undersize DE. Resign Beasley to a team friendly deal and draft somebody else.

He is not undersized for a DE. He is 265 or so.

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

He is not undersized for a DE. He is 265 or so.

Multiple sites has him between 240-250.

Not a big fan of this pick, but I would understand why they would make this selection. Personally I’m not a fan of picking 2nd tier DL talent with a 1st round pick, in a draft loaded with 2nd tier DL prospects. Especially with top tier talent at other defensive positions still on the board.  

putnam6, Ergo Proxy and Drew4719 like this

On 1/1/2019 at 8:03 AM, SpongeDad said:

ATL.png14. Atlanta Falcons

Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida. Same as last week. Former first-round rushers Takk McKinley and Vic Beasley have combined for 12.0 sacks but the Falcons could choose to move on from Beasley after the season. Polite had 11 sacks in 13 games for the Gators. He has an explosive first step and off-the-chart physical abilities, and his knack for getting in the backfield was unrivaled at times this fall. 

r440755_1296x729_16-9.jpg

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-land-eli-mannings-successor-49ers-go-best-player-available-despite-other-needs/

Noteable:

MIA.png13. Miami Dolphins Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

CIN.png11. Cincinnati Bengals Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama.

* I can see TD moving up for Oliver or Williams if the draft went like this. 

I really like this kid a lot. If we consider Irvin as reeds replacement, re-sign Vic to reasonable deal that would give us 4 very athletic and fast edge guys. That’s the way you build a pass rush. In a deep DT class pick up a big one later we’re looking good

Interesting enough, with Takk and polite under rookie contracts and Irvin being in that cheaper vet range now, it’d be a very affordable pass rushing stable

Ergo Proxy and SpongeDad like this

I'm all for drafting the DT that throws up the most bench reps. I think it was either @vel or @TheFatboi that brought out how guys with functional strength and high motors are more successful getting push. another thing, I like Steven Means, that guy has some very violent hands. 

Ergo Proxy and Geneaut like this

56 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I really like this kid a lot.

If we consider Irvin as reeds replacement, re-sign Vic to reasonable deal that would give us 4 very athletic and fast edge guys. That’s the way you build a pass rush. In a deep DT class pick up a big one later we’re looking good

Interesting enough, with Takk and polite under rookie contracts and Irvin being in that cheaper vet range now, it’d be a very affordable pass rushing stable

He's been growing on me.

All true and good points.

quickzero, MSalmon and Ergo Proxy like this

I've been keeping an eye on 5-6 different mock draft sites and the bottom line is there should be 7-10 good players available when we're on the clock at #14. None of them include Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver who the TATFers wanted us to tank for. Both of them are excellent players but they are undersized 3T DTs. I don't think that's a huge need for us if we re-sign Grady.  He is a bonafide 3T and Crawford should be able to provide good snaps as a back up. A 1T DT is more of a need for us. A big body that can help anchor the NT and shut down the run like Poe did in 2017 when we had a Top 10 run defense. In Quinn's presser yesterday he stated that the three most important goals for 2019 are to stop the run, run the ball and improve the turnover differential. To do that we will need a NT, LG, RG and RT. We may also need a corner depending on what we do with Alf and Poole.

capologist, Geneaut, Vandy and 1 other like this

Oh we def are drafting a corner after that presser, I'd say Alford may be cut or worse.  If Simmons or Dexter are on the board at 14 I think we have to go that route because they usually will tie up 2 guys with Grady and two speed guys flying around our def will for sure be back to tops in no time.  If it's rashan Gary or polite I go lolite because Gary is smaller 3 tec or de even. 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I've been keeping an eye on 5-6 different mock draft sites and the bottom line is there should be 7-10 good players available when we're on the clock at #14. None of them include Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver who the TATFers wanted us to tank for. Both of them are excellent players but they are undersized 3T DTs. I don't think that's a huge need for us if we re-sign Grady.  He is a bonafide 3T and Crawford should be able to provide good snaps as a back up. A 1T DT is more of a need for us. A big body that can help anchor the NT and shut down the run like Poe did in 2017 when we had a Top 10 run defense. In Quinn's presser yesterday he stated that the three most important goals for 2019 are to stop the run, run the ball and improve the turnover differential. To do that we will need a NT, LG, RG and RT. We may also need a corner depending on what we do with Alf and Poole.

If McCoy is cut and they add him, our DT needs may be solved with him. McCoy and Grady could be like Donald and Suh in LA. At that point, it's adding a physical DE to pair with Takk and fixing the OL. 

I know some people won't like it but Clelin Ferrell would be a good pick here. He's not one dimensional like Vic. He's not overrated like Kevin Dodd and he's not a plodding tweener like Lawson. He's 6'5 265lb and is a very well rounded DE. He's racked up 49 TFLs and 27 sacks in three years. Yes, he plays on a very talented DL, but I'd venture to say he's the best on that DL. I'll be watching him closely vs Jonah on Monday as confirmation if he can play in the NFL. 

papachaz and Vandy like this

12 minutes ago, vel said:

I know some people won't like it but Clelin Ferrell would be a good pick here. He's not one dimensional like Vic. He's not overrated like Kevin Dodd and he's not a plodding tweener like Lawson. He's 6'5 265lb and is a very well rounded DE. He's racked up 49 TFLs and 27 sacks in three years. Yes, he plays on a very talented DL, but I'd venture to say he's the best on that DL. I'll be watching him closely vs Jonah on Monday as confirmation if he can play in the NFL. 

In this scenario (CBS Mock), I’m running to the podium for Simmons...The Mizzu game is amazing...or Raekwon would be solid too...

I thought we would have a chance for Josh Allen but not after his bowl game and what he will test at combine...

Im all in on Simmons/Raekwon...

Craxy thing, I think both can play base 5T for us?

30 minutes ago, vel said:

If McCoy is cut and they add him, our DT needs may be solved with him. McCoy and Grady could be like Donald and Suh in LA. At that point, it's adding a physical DE to pair with Takk and fixing the OL. 

I love the idea of Gerald McCoy as a Falcon

Geneaut, vel, Vandy and 2 others like this

16 minutes ago, vel said:

I think it comes down to what we do with Beasley and Irvin. If we cut Bealey or let Irvin walk we'll need an edge rusher. If that's the case I'm going with Clelin Ferrell, Jachai Polite or Montez Sweat because Josh Allen will be gone.

Vandy, Ergo Proxy and kiwifalcon like this

4 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I love the idea of Gerald McCoy as a Falcon

I wonder what his contract would look like? He was due $13M from the Bucs if they pick that up.

17 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think it comes down to what we do with Beasley and Irvin. If we cut Bealey or let Irvin walk we'll need an edge rusher. If that's the case I'm going with Clelin Ferrell, Jachai Polite or Montez Sweat because Josh Allen will be gone.

Respectfully, Beasley and Irvin should have no bearing on the Falcons 1st round pick. This pick needs to be a 10-year player. Neither Beasley nor Irvin are 10-year players.