2019 In Memoriam Thread

Dan Robbins, paint-by-numbers inventor

Dan Robbins at his studio with some of the paintings

Dan Robbins was working at Palmer Paint, a company in Ohio selling children’s paint sets, when he came up with the idea for paint-by-numbers. Palmer Paint’s owner asked Robbins to come up with a paint kit for adults. He heard that da Vinci used numbered background patterns in his work and based paint-by-numbers on that idea. Most of the kits were landscapes but included other designs such as ballerinas and kittens. The kits were a sensation in the mid-1950s but competitors saturated the market and sales greatly decreased. Robbins continued his career in product development, designing happy meal toys for McDonalds. Paint-by-numbers paintings were exhibited at the Smithsonian.  

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I have spoken about him a little but I have a Uncle who is a second generation immigrant from Cuba. Dudes he fits every single stereotype about Hispanics being hot blooded. He's loud, easily e

Eddie Money - prolific singer and songwriter whose songs “Baby Hold On,” “Two Tickets to Paradise,” “Shakin'” and “Take Me Home Tonight”  soundtracked popular music in the 1980s

3 hours ago, Since1990 said:

Dan Robbins, paint-by-numbers inventor

Dan Robbins at his studio with some of the paintings

Dan Robbins was working at Palmer Paint, a company in Ohio selling children’s paint sets, when he came up with the idea for paint-by-numbers. Palmer Paint’s owner asked Robbins to come up with a paint kit for adults. He heard that da Vinci used numbered background patterns in his work and based paint-by-numbers on that idea. Most of the kits were landscapes but included other designs such as ballerinas and kittens. The kits were a sensation in the mid-1950s but competitors saturated the market and sales greatly decreased. Robbins continued his career in product development, designing happy meal toys for McDonalds. Paint-by-numbers paintings were exhibited at the Smithsonian.  

My daughter's used these products., They loved them.

RIP Mr. Robbins

Very sadly my marriage of 15 years is being dissolved by my wife informing mevshevis filing for divorce. Didn't know where to put this & this thread seemed appropriate. Black soul crushing heart wrenching empty abyss of numbing pain