Since1990

2019 In Memoriam Thread

242 posts in this topic

Dan Robbins, paint-by-numbers inventor

Dan Robbins at his studio with some of the paintings

Dan Robbins was working at Palmer Paint, a company in Ohio selling children’s paint sets, when he came up with the idea for paint-by-numbers. Palmer Paint’s owner asked Robbins to come up with a paint kit for adults. He heard that da Vinci used numbered background patterns in his work and based paint-by-numbers on that idea. Most of the kits were landscapes but included other designs such as ballerinas and kittens. The kits were a sensation in the mid-1950s but competitors saturated the market and sales greatly decreased. Robbins continued his career in product development, designing happy meal toys for McDonalds. Paint-by-numbers paintings were exhibited at the Smithsonian.  

3 hours ago, Since1990 said:

Dan Robbins, paint-by-numbers inventor

Dan Robbins at his studio with some of the paintings

Dan Robbins was working at Palmer Paint, a company in Ohio selling children’s paint sets, when he came up with the idea for paint-by-numbers. Palmer Paint’s owner asked Robbins to come up with a paint kit for adults. He heard that da Vinci used numbered background patterns in his work and based paint-by-numbers on that idea. Most of the kits were landscapes but included other designs such as ballerinas and kittens. The kits were a sensation in the mid-1950s but competitors saturated the market and sales greatly decreased. Robbins continued his career in product development, designing happy meal toys for McDonalds. Paint-by-numbers paintings were exhibited at the Smithsonian.  

My daughter's used these products., They loved them.

RIP Mr. Robbins

Since1990 likes this

My wife’s grandmother passed away this morning. She was a sweet lady and she’s not suffering any longer. Our baby is named after her. 

3 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

My wife’s grandmother passed away this morning. She was a sweet lady and she’s not suffering any longer. Our baby is named after her. 

My condolences on your family's loss.

I dread the day anyone in my family passes.

mdrake34 likes this

Image result for earl thomas conley

Earl Thomas Conley - County music singer/songwriter who charted more than 30 singles on the Billboard Country Music charts during the 1980's, of which 18 reached Number One.

18 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Sorry to hear! Give your wife a hug for us, your Falcons family

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Sorry to hear that, condolences :(

Edited by Sn4tteRBoxXeR
mdrake34 likes this

Jacqui Saburido, the woman whose disfigured face became a symbol of the dangers of drunk driving after she suffered horrific burns in a 1999 crash, has died, according to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

She died from cancer in Guatemala. She was 40.

cq5dam.thumbnail.767.431.margin.png

13 minutes ago, Statick said:

Jacqui Saburido, the woman whose disfigured face became a symbol of the dangers of drunk driving after she suffered horrific burns in a 1999 crash, has died, according to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

She died from cancer in Guatemala. She was 40.

cq5dam.thumbnail.767.431.margin.png

So sad, RIP Jacqui

On 4/25/2019 at 10:15 PM, DirtybyrdGA said:

Hondo...

Hondo was perpetual motion ,best cardio I have ever seen. Tremendous 2 way player.I saw him play in person 1974 exhibition preseason game against the Hawks .He played full speed the whole game.RIP .

Very sadly my marriage of 15 years is being dissolved by my wife informing mevshevis filing for divorce. Didn't know where to put this & this thread seemed appropriate. Black soul crushing heart wrenching empty abyss of numbing pain