Since1990

2019 In Memoriam Thread

392 posts in this topic

I woke up to the news that my former bandmate has passed away. I feel incredibly fortunate to have had the chance to know Sara. She was a phenomenal drummer & a truly genuine, interesting, and soul. She radiated a positive energy balanced with a perfect dose of cynicism. She was sweet as can be to those close to her & at the same time was a complete badazz who did things her way. She was like a big sister to me, and even though we rarely crossed paths in the years after we were in a band together, when we did, that connection was always there. I'm glad she can now rest & that I was able to experience some of the light she brought into this world firsthand. RIP, Sara.

Sara_Romweber.JPG
Sara Romweber, Drummer With Let’s Active and Dex Romweber Duo, Dies at 55

Sara Romweber, drummer with Let’s Active, Snatches of Pink and the Dex Romweber Duo, has died of a brain tumor, her manager confirmed to Variety. She was 55.

A powerful drummer with a vivacious personality who was well-known on North Carolina’s thriving indie scene, Romweber first rose to mainstream recognition with the ‘80s-era trio Let’s Active, which was led by early R.E.M. coproducer Mitch Easter. The power-pop group enjoyed success on college-radio charts and opened tours for R.E.M. and other acts; Romweber, then in her late teens, played on the group’s 1983 debut EP, “Afoot,” and the 1984 album, “Cypress.”

“I’d write songs and she’d figure out what to do with it, and she could make sense of it. She was a little bit wild, which I liked,” Easter told the Winston Salem Journal.

Romweber went on to join and record with the Chapel Hill-area group Snatches of Pink and most recently with her younger brother Dexter in the rockabilly-leaning Dex Romweber Duo. The latter group released four albums between 2009 and 2014 and collaborated with Jack White on “The Wind Did Move” single in 2009, which was released on White’s Third Man Records. One of the duo’s albums was recorded live at White’s Third Man Studios.

Her friend Mac MacCaughan, cofounder of the band Superchunk and Merge Records, wrote on Instagram: “Sara Romweber was one of the kindest, most unique and inspiriting people I’ve known. She was so important to me that I wrote a paper about her my freshman year in college. The Romweber home on Pine Street in Carrboro [North Carolina] was open to everyone and the heart of a musical community. [She was] a fantastically powerful and creative drummer — watching her play was a joy, no matter what band.”

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/sara-romweber-drummer-lets-active-dex-dead-dies-1203155389/

SpongeDad likes this

5 hours ago, k-train said:

I woke up to the news that my former bandmate has passed away. I feel incredibly fortunate to have had the chance to know Sara. She was a phenomenal drummer & a truly genuine, interesting, and soul. She radiated a positive energy balanced with a perfect dose of cynicism. She was sweet as can be to those close to her & at the same time was a complete badazz who did things her way. She was like a big sister to me, and even though we rarely crossed paths in the years after we were in a band together, when we did, that connection was always there. I'm glad she can now rest & that I was able to experience some of the light she brought into this world firsthand. RIP, Sara.

Sara_Romweber.JPG
Sara Romweber, Drummer With Let’s Active and Dex Romweber Duo, Dies at 55

Sara Romweber, drummer with Let’s Active, Snatches of Pink and the Dex Romweber Duo, has died of a brain tumor, her manager confirmed to Variety. She was 55.

A powerful drummer with a vivacious personality who was well-known on North Carolina’s thriving indie scene, Romweber first rose to mainstream recognition with the ‘80s-era trio Let’s Active, which was led by early R.E.M. coproducer Mitch Easter. The power-pop group enjoyed success on college-radio charts and opened tours for R.E.M. and other acts; Romweber, then in her late teens, played on the group’s 1983 debut EP, “Afoot,” and the 1984 album, “Cypress.”

“I’d write songs and she’d figure out what to do with it, and she could make sense of it. She was a little bit wild, which I liked,” Easter told the Winston Salem Journal.

Romweber went on to join and record with the Chapel Hill-area group Snatches of Pink and most recently with her younger brother Dexter in the rockabilly-leaning Dex Romweber Duo. The latter group released four albums between 2009 and 2014 and collaborated with Jack White on “The Wind Did Move” single in 2009, which was released on White’s Third Man Records. One of the duo’s albums was recorded live at White’s Third Man Studios.

Her friend Mac MacCaughan, cofounder of the band Superchunk and Merge Records, wrote on Instagram: “Sara Romweber was one of the kindest, most unique and inspiriting people I’ve known. She was so important to me that I wrote a paper about her my freshman year in college. The Romweber home on Pine Street in Carrboro [North Carolina] was open to everyone and the heart of a musical community. [She was] a fantastically powerful and creative drummer — watching her play was a joy, no matter what band.”

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/sara-romweber-drummer-lets-active-dex-dead-dies-1203155389/

Sorry for your loss what was the band you were in?

20 hours ago, shc said:

Sorry for your loss what was the band you were in?

Thanks. I played bass in Snatches of Pink for a few years in the early 2000's.

shc likes this

4 minutes ago, k-train said:

Thanks. I played bass in Snatches of Pink for a few years in the early 2000's.

Awesome.  I remember them from back in the early 90's when we were playing shows in ATL

k-train likes this

1 hour ago, The Kingfish said:

Image result for jan michael vincent

Jan Michael Vincent - American actor best known as attack helicopter pilot Stringfellow Hawk on the TV series AIRWOLF

74 - I didn't realize he was that old

RIP JMV

3 hours ago, The Kingfish said:

Image result for julia ruth stevens

Julia Ruth Stevens - adopted daughter of Babe Ruth

Dayum 102 years old...Bless her heart

RIP 

Image result for hal blaine

Hal Blaine - American drummer and session musician. He was one of the most prolific drummers in music history and by his own estimation played in over 6,000 recording for such artists as Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, The Beach Boys, The Byrds, The Carpenters, Neil Diamond, John Denver, and many others.

mdrake34 and Statick like this

As a father of 3 daughters that have gone on to play D1 college soccer on scholarships, I thank you Senator Bayh. RIP

0.jpg

Birch Bayh was a democratic senator from Indiana who was the author of the groundbreaking Title IX amendment that banned discrimination against women in college sports. He has been called “the father of Title IX.”

Details of death: Died March 14, 2019 from pneumonia at the age of 91.  

AF89 likes this

17 hours ago, Since1990 said:

As a father of 3 daughters that have gone on to play D1 college soccer on scholarships, I thank you Senator Bayh. RIP

0.jpg

Birch Bayh was a democratic senator from Indiana who was the author of the groundbreaking Title IX amendment that banned discrimination against women in college sports. He has been called “the father of Title IX.”

Details of death: Died March 14, 2019 from pneumonia at the age of 91.  

When your watching the Olympics and the US is cleaning house on the women's events or dominating the womens world cup in soccer...this is the probably the male who deserves the most credit

Since1990 likes this

RIP **** Dale.

**** Dale, King of the Surf Guitar, Dead at 81

Pioneering guitarist and progenitor of surf rock with “Let’s Go Trippin'” and “Miserlou” inspired generation of musicians

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/****-dale-surf-guitar-king-dead-obituary-809294/?fbclid=IwAR2bs_Egy-Y_pKaC70yvtVDV2IuzwSA94B8jJPIgxzmq5TBV74N_IGqJWlA

Since1990 and WhenFalconsWin like this

11 hours ago, Googlywoogly said:

RIP **** Dale.

**** Dale, King of the Surf Guitar, Dead at 81

Pioneering guitarist and progenitor of surf rock with “Let’s Go Trippin'” and “Miserlou” inspired generation of musicians

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/****-dale-surf-guitar-king-dead-obituary-809294/?fbclid=IwAR2bs_Egy-Y_pKaC70yvtVDV2IuzwSA94B8jJPIgxzmq5TBV74N_IGqJWlA

Man, one one of my guitar surf legends

RIP DD

Image result for denise dubarry

Denise Dubarry - American actress known for her many appearances on TV series from the late 1970's including BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON, THE LOVE BOAT, CHIPS, and CHARLIE'S ANGELS. She also appeared as a frequent panelist on MATCH GAME.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:10 AM, The Kingfish said:

Image result for denise dubarry

Denise Dubarry - American actress known for her many appearances on TV series from the late 1970's including BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON, THE LOVE BOAT, CHIPS, and CHARLIE'S ANGELS. She also appeared as a frequent panelist on MATCH GAME.

First glance I thought it was Beverly DiAngelo

RIP Denise

Robert T. McDaniel was a member of the Tuskegee Airmen, the elite African-American pilots who flew during World War II. He was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1943 and trained as a pilot and bombardier at the Tuskegee Institute, going on to serve as a flight officer with the 477th bombardier group. After the war, McDaniel became a math teacher, later serving as a school counselor, vice principal, and principal. He was one of a handful of Tuskegee Airmen still surviving in 2019, out of the hundreds who served in World War II

Died: March 19, 2019

Flip Wilson likes this

7 hours ago, Since1990 said:

Robert T. McDaniel was a member of the Tuskegee Airmen, the elite African-American pilots who flew during World War II. He was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1943 and trained as a pilot and bombardier at the Tuskegee Institute, going on to serve as a flight officer with the 477th bombardier group. After the war, McDaniel became a math teacher, later serving as a school counselor, vice principal, and principal. He was one of a handful of Tuskegee Airmen still surviving in 2019, out of the hundreds who served in World War II

Died: March 19, 2019

Flip Wilson likes this

Image: Rapper Nipsey Hussle

The Grammy-nominated rapper Nipsey Hussle was killed in a shooting outside his clothing store in Los Angeles on Sunday afternoon, March 31st, 2019