Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schwarzwald

Who will be the next OC? Vote party!

Who is the next OC for the Atlanta Falcons?   103 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next OC?

• Bevell
    • Koetter
    • Kubiak
    • Other
    • Matt Ryan

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yep, I've seen nothing definitive on it. 

Here's the thing, if your Kubiak, do you go to Denver with Keenum leading that offense or to Atlanta/Matty Ice and their talented offense? 

Kubiak to Denver would be a pure loyalty move.

I voted Koetter.  If I'm not mistaken, his first year here, we went 13-3 and made it to the NFCCG and got beat by the infamous Colin Kaepernick and the 49ers. 
Of course, his next 2 years we failed to have a winning season, but our OLine was garbage, too. 
I'd like to think he's learned a lot since then, after being a HC for 3 years.  I say, give him another shot.....him and Matt Ryan seem to work really well together.

Schwarzwald likes this

17 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

:lol:@ Matt Ryan

If we can’t laugh what would we be here for?:shrug::ninja::lol::munch:

Yeah I don’t want Matt being pushed into that. He gotta learn to coordinate those twins first.:slick:

His input week to week after giving some input into the next coach? Yes.

JDaveG likes this

18 hours ago, Jen said:

Please let it be Kubiak. Can you guys imagine Matt having the same OC for more than 2 or 3 years? Kubiak would be that guy. 

No he wouldn't...one year with Matt Ryan would IMMEDIATELY move Kubiak into a HC offer he couldn't turn down...

If I'm wanting a guy who's going to be here for at least 2-3 years, it's got to be a new guy who hasn't already been a HC.  Any one of them (Kubiak, Koetter, etc), given one year with Matt Ryan, will immediately be the next hot HC candidate.  You want someone who's going to stay, you gotta get someone who's got to prove himself for at least a couple years or so... like THIS guy:

Scangarello, Rich

Rich Scangarello is in his second season as the 49ers quarterbacks coach. He joined San Francisco after spending the 2016 season as the offensive coordinator at Wagner College. 

In his first season with San Francisco, Scangarello worked with rookie QB C.J. Beathard and mid-season acquisition QB Jimmy Garoppolo, helping both set franchise records. Beathard, who played in seven games (five starts), set the single-season franchise record for attempts (224), completions (123) and passing yards (1,430) by a rookie quarterback. He also set the franchise record for the longest completion by a rookie quarterback on an 83-yard touchdown pass to WR Marquise Goodwin. Garoppolo, who started the last five games of the season, became the first 49ers quarterback since the merger in 1970 to win each of his first five starts with the team and set the franchise record for the most passing yards in his first five starts with the 49ers (1,542). His 1,542 passing yards also ranks fourth among all quarterbacks in their first five starts with a new team since the merger in 1970.

Scangarello joined Wagner following one season (2015) as an offensive quality control coach with the Atlanta Falcons. In Atlanta, he assisted the offensive line with run-game preparation and coordinated the defensive scout team for the offense.

Before his year with the Falcons, Scangarello spent three seasons (2012-14) as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Northern Arizona University. In 2013, the Lumberjacks offense completed 235 of 387 passing attempts (60.7 completion percentage), and finished with 2,425 passing yards and 14 touchdowns.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

8 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

No he wouldn't...one year with Matt Ryan would IMMEDIATELY move Kubiak into a HC offer he couldn't turn down...

If I'm wanting a guy who's going to be here for at least 2-3 years, it's got to be a new guy who hasn't already been a HC.  Any one of them (Kubiak, Koetter, etc), given one year with Matt Ryan, will immediately be the next hot HC candidate.  You want someone who's going to stay, you gotta get someone who's got to prove himself for at least a couple years or so... like THIS guy:

Scangarello, Rich

Rich Scangarello is in his second season as the 49ers quarterbacks coach. He joined San Francisco after spending the 2016 season as the offensive coordinator at Wagner College. 

In his first season with San Francisco, Scangarello worked with rookie QB C.J. Beathard and mid-season acquisition QB Jimmy Garoppolo, helping both set franchise records. Beathard, who played in seven games (five starts), set the single-season franchise record for attempts (224), completions (123) and passing yards (1,430) by a rookie quarterback. He also set the franchise record for the longest completion by a rookie quarterback on an 83-yard touchdown pass to WR Marquise Goodwin. Garoppolo, who started the last five games of the season, became the first 49ers quarterback since the merger in 1970 to win each of his first five starts with the team and set the franchise record for the most passing yards in his first five starts with the 49ers (1,542). His 1,542 passing yards also ranks fourth among all quarterbacks in their first five starts with a new team since the merger in 1970.

Scangarello joined Wagner following one season (2015) as an offensive quality control coach with the Atlanta Falcons. In Atlanta, he assisted the offensive line with run-game preparation and coordinated the defensive scout team for the offense.

Before his year with the Falcons, Scangarello spent three seasons (2012-14) as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Northern Arizona University. In 2013, the Lumberjacks offense completed 235 of 387 passing attempts (60.7 completion percentage), and finished with 2,425 passing yards and 14 touchdowns.

Kubiak already could get a HC job. He's explicitly said he doesn't want one. Stress related.

Falconcheff likes this

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Kubiak already could get a HC job. He's explicitly said he doesn't want one. Stress related.

I get that he said that; I just don't think he could stick to it when some team comes and offers him Gruden-like control when it comes right down to it...none of the potential candidates could...put Matt Ryan with any well-known OC name, and assuredly that guy will be a HC in 2020...

I believe Kubiak will end up staying in Denver and we end up with DK.  There is a comfort level there with Ryan which will be the deciding factor.  Of course this all my opinion.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

Per Rotoworld, the Lions & Jim Bob Cooter just mutually agreed to part ways.

I think there's a big possibility that Shane Waldron ends up there as their new OC.

He started his coaching career in NE as an assistant to Matt Patricia before going to work under McVay in Washington & LA.

Well now that Cooter is available, that changes everything!

lol sorry, I waited and expected someone else to hit that teed up softball but nobody did.  Couldn’t stand to see a good  pun opportunity go to waste lol. In all seriousness, he was pretty good for awhile. 

k-train likes this

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

I think it will be DK. Coaches are a tight circle and I am sure DQ and DK have gotten to know each other. A guy w some HC experience may help w the workload as well if Q is pulling double duty as D play caller.

High plausibility. He also knows every defense in the NFC South. It would be very helpful for Quinn to hire him as OC with some HC duties included perhaps.

49 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

Scangarello, Rich

I’ve been tossing his name out for a month now.  It won’t happen cause he is too much of an unknown, but I at least want him interviwed...he coached in Atlanta 2015/2016 and mastered Shanny’s system.  This is a good article on him:

“The truth is my time in Atlanta completed me in the cycle of knowing everything about this system,” he said. “… I really took the job in Atlanta for free, quite honestly. And I wasn’t afraid. I was willing to do the work and I really just wanted to be around coach Shanahan.”

Over the course of the Falcons’ 2015 season, Scangarello learned the details of the run game, the play-action fakes and the quarterback-keeper plays for which Shanahan is renown. He said the biggest difference between the West Coast offense he had been running in college and Shanahan’s system was the passing game.

“I would say the one thing I could truly appreciate beyond anything with coach Shanahan is that he’s trying to score on every single play he calls,” Scangarello said. “And I never thought that way as a play caller in the pass game. Sometimes I was thinking more about staying on schedule. And he was always thinking, ‘How can we attack the defense and create explosive (plays)?’ It really changed my mindset for the better.”

That also needs to be the mindset of the quarterbacks he will coach this year: They not only must be fearless when it comes to dealing with an oncoming pass rush, they have to have the guts to attempt big plays down the field.

“As we assembled this (quarterbacks) room, that was a non-negotiable quality,” Scangarello said. “We felt all four of them really have that trait that gives them a chance to be successful.”

Matt Barrows breaks down the 49ers quarterbacks 

By Jose Luis Villegas

Shanahan, meanwhile, said that during the 2015 offseason he quickly began to appreciate Scangarello’s appetite to learn.

I thought he was just an O-line guy at first because I didn’t know him,” he said. “And then he starts asking me questions about plays I ran, like, six years ago. And I start to wonder, ‘Who is this guy?’ It was obvious he knows what he’s talking about, and now I’m interested. He learned it for himself, and that’s how good coaches are. They just don’t memorize what someone said. They want to know why it works, how to coach it, how players see it.”

Falconcheff likes this

We should have kept Sark. Don’t want Bevell or Koetter. We should never have let Matt Lefleur go after Shannahan left, that would be a great fit IMO

19 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’ve been tossing his name out for a month now.  It won’t happen cause he is too much of an unknown, but I at least want him interviwed...he coached in Atlanta 2015/2016 and mastered Shanny’s system.  This is a good article on him:

“The truth is my time in Atlanta completed me in the cycle of knowing everything about this system,” he said. “… I really took the job in Atlanta for free, quite honestly. And I wasn’t afraid. I was willing to do the work and I really just wanted to be around coach Shanahan.”

Over the course of the Falcons’ 2015 season, Scangarello learned the details of the run game, the play-action fakes and the quarterback-keeper plays for which Shanahan is renown. He said the biggest difference between the West Coast offense he had been running in college and Shanahan’s system was the passing game.

“I would say the one thing I could truly appreciate beyond anything with coach Shanahan is that he’s trying to score on every single play he calls,” Scangarello said. “And I never thought that way as a play caller in the pass game. Sometimes I was thinking more about staying on schedule. And he was always thinking, ‘How can we attack the defense and create explosive (plays)?’ It really changed my mindset for the better.”

That also needs to be the mindset of the quarterbacks he will coach this year: They not only must be fearless when it comes to dealing with an oncoming pass rush, they have to have the guts to attempt big plays down the field.

“As we assembled this (quarterbacks) room, that was a non-negotiable quality,” Scangarello said. “We felt all four of them really have that trait that gives them a chance to be successful.”

Matt Barrows breaks down the 49ers quarterbacks 

By Jose Luis Villegas

Shanahan, meanwhile, said that during the 2015 offseason he quickly began to appreciate Scangarello’s appetite to learn.

I thought he was just an O-line guy at first because I didn’t know him,” he said. “And then he starts asking me questions about plays I ran, like, six years ago. And I start to wonder, ‘Who is this guy?’ It was obvious he knows what he’s talking about, and now I’m interested. He learned it for himself, and that’s how good coaches are. They just don’t memorize what someone said. They want to know why it works, how to coach it, how players see it.”

You're prolly the guy I heard it first from... I agree it's not likely to happen, even though he IS getting some mention from around the league...

Tom PelisseroVerified account @TomPelissero
FollowFollow @TomPelissero
More

Amidst backup QB struggles elsewhere, worth noting #49ers third-stringer Nick Mullens has a 93.5 passer rating (higher than Mariota, Mayfield, Trubisky, Stafford, et al.). A credit to Kyle Shanahan as well as QB coach Rich Scangarello, whose name is circulating as an OC candidate

FalconsIn2012 and Deadwood like this

3 hours ago, k-train said:

Who I want:
Zac Taylor (Rams QB coach)
Shane Waldron (Rams TE coach)

Who I can live with:
Kubiak
Koetter

Who it will probably be:
Bevell

This is a good list right here. 

k-train likes this

On 1/1/2019 at 5:31 PM, k-train said:

Who I want:
Zac Taylor (Rams QB coach)
Shane Waldron (Rams TE coach)

Who I can live with:
Kubiak
Koetter

Who it will probably be:
Bevell

Like I said... I can live with this.

The offense was great in 2012.

Julio was ripping the NFL a new one at the beginning of 2013, but once he was got hurt & was done for the season it was all downhill. Relying on a 30+ year old Steven Jackson & a sorry dysfunctional defense to get it done with no Julio was an absolute disaster.

In 2014, we got Julio back... he beasted like always... but lost Tony G, and they were still relying on an Sjax & that crappy D with absolutely no direction & or clear scheme fits.

I think with a solid defense, a healthy Julio & Free, plus a host of other complimetary weapons like Ridley, Sanu, Hooper, Ito, etc. Koetter may be able to get us back to something closer to 2012 than what happened in 2013-14.

No matter who are our offense coordinator would have been, people were going be upset with any hire.  Come on y’all lets just have some Faith.  Go Falcons 

1989Fan likes this