January 2019 UGA Recruiting - Sugar and Spice!

Carter

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe @RandomFan has mentioned it before - and I’ve made my thoughts known about Ashford - but it’s worth repeating that Pickens and 2020 QB Robby Ashford are high school teammates at Hoover in Alabama. With predictions coming in for Ashford to UGA, it makes sense that confidence would be picking up with Pickens.

I’m really not sure what their desire might be to play together in college, but that would be some great built in QB-WR chemistry. Hoover has been great with those guys headlining the offense.

Question was asked about Pickens grades situation being “dealt with” as an issue more like Nadab Joseph (administrative mess) or Brian Herrien (player working hard to bring grades up) and Jake said it seems to be a Herrien type of situation. 

Starting to sound like Pickens could be a real possibility. Would be huge after all the drama with Haselwood.

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Question was asked about Pickens grades situation being “dealt with” as an issue more like Nadab Joseph (administrative mess) or Brian Herrien (player working hard to bring grades up) and Jake said it seems to be a Herrien type of situation. 

Starting to sound like Pickens could be a real possibility. Would be huge after all the drama with Haselwood.

That would be awesome if we could land him. 

15 minutes ago, Carter said:

Numerous people throughout the process, analysts and incoming DBs alike, have said that Pickens was the second best/hardest WR to defend, in this class, if not the best

Having said that, I wouldn't be excited about flipping him until he arrives on campus

2 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Since Nadab was brought up. does anyone know what the real deal with him is/was

Nobody seems to have the real story there

Been trying to find that out for a while now. No one seems to really know. He enrolled at Independence CC last summer planning to be done in 18 months and transfer to UGA for 2020, but it seems he either didn’t join the team or he dropped out altogether. Hopefully he’s still on track but the lack of any good info is troubling. 

I know that he was in a very unusual spot, where it wasn't really that he didn't have the grades to qualify, but that his credits where coming from so many different schools, including homeschooling credits (which were allegedly particularly hard to quantify), that the NCAA simply felt that they couldn't recognize him as having what he needed to qualify. 

This unique situation also lead to some confusion over whether he would need a full 2 years of JUCO, or if he simply had to work out credit end of things

I've just never seen a solid answer on the above, or on what happened to him afterwards

42 minutes ago, Nereek said:

with Fields gone... what are the chances we keep john rhys plumlee?

We signed 2 QBs in this class that are not Plumlee. We offered him a blueshirt opportunity. Meaning if Plumlee really wants to be a Dawg he will have to enroll on his own dime to participate with practices in 2019 (would be ineligible to play in games) and wait for a scholarship to be awarded in January 2020, which is when his eligibility clock would start. It’s an allowed exception by NCAA rules to manage roster numbers.

But the short answer to your question is “not very likely.” He is being pursued more now by other schools that are more open to him playing baseball because they aren’t recruiting him as a QB. If he really just wants to be at UGA then he will come I guess. 

1 minute ago, Carter said:

We signed 2 QBs in this class that are not Plumlee. We offered him a blueshirt opportunity. Meaning if Plumlee really wants to be a Dawg he will have to enroll on his own dime to participate with practices in 2019 (would be ineligible to play in games) and wait for a scholarship to be awarded in January 2020, which is when his eligibility clock would start. It’s an allowed exception by NCAA rules to manage roster numbers.

But the short answer to your question is “not very likely.” He is being pursued more now by other schools that are more open to him playing baseball because they aren’t recruiting him as a QB. If he really just wants to be at UGA then he will come I guess. 

So it's basically a wait and see.

Does UGA want Kendall Milton real bad? Oh yeah. This is a ridiculous amount of contact. 

He labeled his connection with McGee “as a pretty solid relationship” going forward.

“I talk to him basically every day and he’s a really good guy,” Milton said.

The same can be said of Kirby Smart. It is highly interesting to find out just much attention McGee and Smart pay Milton. That makes him a clear priority for the 2020 class.

“I talk to him basically every other day on the phone and Facetime and all that,” Milton said on how often he hears from Smart.

13 minutes ago, Nereek said:

So it's basically a wait and see.

If you want to be optimistic about him coming to UGA I guess you could say that. We are recruiting better QB prospects for 2020 and lead for Ashford who is one of the best. The blueshirt offer was most likely the nicest way to encourage him to look for other opportunities in my opinion.

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

According to Jeff Sentell, Doug Nester has eliminated UGA from consideration - not even taking an official here. Mainly due to distance from home. 

that was actually expected.. i mentioned it last month i believe but there was an interview with an ohio state writer and chris childers who said that UGA was 4th and he felt uga would be eliminated because distance from family was really nester's #1 issue.