Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

January 2019 UGA Recruiting - Sugar and Spice!

722 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Some perspective from Americus:

Poster asking a question - Do these guys know something we don’t?

Americus - None. This will happen every year btw. Georgia is a national brand and their players will get chances. Reload and move on. Remember this next year or keep peering over the edge lol.

Coaches, players, and others would let a problem be known. Not too much leaks, but that would. Let the posters elsewhere come up with conspiracy theories. Remember when....... fill in blank with ridiculous rumor from past. Other times it's opponents spreading this. Social media and a post on Twitter would have the masses in a frenzy in less than 10 minutes.

Edited by RandomFan
VA F.O. likes this

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah but Holyfield, Hardman, Nauta and Ridley all were starters and none are going on Day#1 and I will be surprised if any go on Day#2 (2nd/3rd rd) of NFL Draft.

Given all the player mutiny stuff, I hope there isn’t more negative stuff going on than we as fans would think.  I wouldn’t link any of those guys to Fields but it could be other things with coaches.

Hope Not!!!

I won’t be surprised to see Nauta or Holyfield go day two.

1 minute ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

They have nauta as the 4th highest draft eligible TE, a good combine and its probably pretty likely. I think him and Ridley by far have the most to gain. I think mecole should have come back, he would likely see a lot more targets with Godwin and Ridley moving on.

sdogg and Porter Osborne Jr like this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

Ridley is likely going to be our highest drafted player out of this group. 

Nauta leaving still puzzles me. I know he had the 5 star rating and he's a good leader and team guy that says and does the right things. IMO that has clouded peoples judgement on him, but I just don't see it. He's not a good enough blocker right now for a blocking TE role, and he's simply not fast enough to be a matchup TE in the NFL.

Edited by RandomFan
sdogg likes this

1 minute ago, richham said:

They have nauta as the 4th highest draft eligible TE, a good combine and its probably pretty likely. I think him and Ridley by far have the most to gain. I think mecole should have come back, he would likely see a lot more targets with Godwin and Ridley moving on.

Yeah, Mecole was a big head scratcher. 

2 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Yeah, Mecole was a big head scratcher. 

Yeah I agree, he was the one I was like 90% thought he would come back. He can be so dynamic and with a more featured role could showcase his skills more. Oh well might as well get use to guys moving on.  More playing time to go around.

Just now, richham said:

Yeah I agree, he was the one I was like 90% thought he would come back. He can be so dynamic and with a more featured role could showcase his skills more. Oh well might as well get use to guys moving on.  More playing time to go around.

Yep.

I think talent wise we will be okay...….but I hope, like T. Worley said......this coaching staff gets a hold of the players lack of effort and TEAM belief. If they do that......keep recruiting......it will show on the field and we will not miss a beat. But that's the biggest issue based on my limited information. But I'm no where near in the know like a lot of you guys living in the swamp land like I do. B) I'd still like a OC that can be more creative.

Is Blaylock our new punt returner? 

We don't know yet, lots of competition for that spot. Kearis, Demetris, Cook, Zeus, Blaylock. I personally think it will come down to Demetris or Kearis. 

20 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

I will.  Nauta hasn’t had a lot of production and NFL Scouts are looking for a really explosive trait to take a TE in 2nd or 3rd round.  Don’t see it in Nauta.

GDawg Projection: 5th rd

Holyfield is accomplished and strong but lacks ability to make a guy miss in the hole.  Not a lot of jump cut ability or COD.  He’s a bull with decent speed.

GDawg Projection: 4th rd

Without Holyfield and Hardman,  our offense just got less explosive.

Ridley was a tease and I always felt he fulfilled only a fraction of what he was capable- I know he’s a different body type than his brother but thought he showed glimpses.

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I will.  Nauta hasn’t had a lot of production and NFL Scouts are looking for a really explosive trait to take a TE in 2nd or 3rd round.  Don’t see it in Nauta.

GDawg Projection: 5th rd

Holyfield is accomplished and strong but lacks ability to make a guy miss in the hole.  Not a lot of jump cut ability or COD.  He’s a bull with decent speed.

GDawg Projection: 4th rd

We agree on something for a change. 

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Without Holyfield and Hardman,  our offense just got less explosive.

Ridley was a tease and I always felt he fulfilled only a fraction of what he was capable- I know he’s a different body type than his brother but thought he showed glimpses.

Hardman yes, but Holyfield? Not really. As you just said in your post above he's a bull with decent speed. He's not an explosive RB that will be missed in that area. Robertson is every bit as explosive as Hardman; lets hope the year learning and adjusting will serve him well next season. And don't forget that Simmons is one of the fastest players on the team. 

Ridley is grossly underrated on this forum it seems. 

g-dawg and Macknsweetjones like this

Is Blaylock our new punt returner? 

He will probably get his chance to earn it. I think DRob, Simmons and Kearis Jackson are probably favorites to get it. Blaylock could definitely come in and light things up though, he’s a great looking player.

sdogg likes this

I think Riley tests well and surprises quite a few people with where he's drafted (not first round, but second-third), but I've been thinking there's a good chance he goes for a long time, while others are shocked. If he runs lower than a 4.6, I also think he has a good shot at being good enough in the NFL that we're scratching our heads. 

Mecole leaving is a mistake, but word around the block is he hates school. I think he has the ability to be an NFL player, but he's not there now. Perhaps someone grabs him to be a returner and plans on developing him at wideout though. 

Holyfield doesn't surprise me, just thought based off reading the tea leaves he'd stay after all, but I was thinking based off the 2020 RB draft class being insane he'd think strongly about going from the get go.

The difference from those juniors that returned in 2016 compared to this year, is there was a lot of smoke a lot of the guys wanted to be 3 and NFL and had their heart set on it from back then.

sdogg likes this

Hardman didn’t want to deal with this team’s growing pains in 2019 imo. He was one of the guys trying to get the team fired up against Texas and guys were just ignoring him. He will be missed on the field and he’s a great team guy.

Hardman will probably do very well at the combine and help himself a lot. He has blazing speed. He probably would have benefited a lot from another year in college as a player though... he’s not as polished a receiver as he could be and despite a great return average with potential to break one at any time, I think the NFL will view him as a liability as a returner because ball security is not a strength for him. Can’t see him going before the 4th round.

Ridley on the other hand, I’ve had a little bit of change in opinion. Really think he could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick very easily.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

46 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Ridley was a tease and I always felt he fulfilled only a fraction of what he was capable- 

I feel the same with Hardman.

g-dawg likes this

37 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Ridley is grossly underrated on this forum it seems. 

I thought Ridley was a beast.  He needed to be a little more consistent, but I sure was hoping to see what he and Holloman could do next year.

no one has a clue where our guys are going to end up in the draft.  our early guys are going to excel at the combine and there is plenty of great play on the field as well.  I can see all of our early enrollees be drafted on the 1st 2 days.  nauta is going to really rise up the boards.  this is going to be a huge draft for the Dawgs and another recruiting tools for Coach Smart. 

1 hour ago, richham said:

Blaylock could be a monster next year with Hardman in the NFL

3 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Blaylock could be a monster next year with Hardman in the NFL

I sure hope so.  But I am really hoping that Landers, or Bush, can play the role of Wims.

3 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I sure hope so.  But I am really hoping that Landers, or Bush, can play the role of Wims.

Yep, said it earlier, but we've got guys who can work the middle and guys who can take the top off of defenses, but what we're seriously lacking right now is the big bodied receivers who can beat one on one on the outside. It's why I was so excited about Haselwood.

My question is what happened with Landers?  He went from almost having his redshirt pulled freshman year, during the bye week, to completely invisible.