Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carter

January 2019 UGA Recruiting - Sugar and Spice!

722 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Returning WR's for next year, we'll be fine:

1. JJ Holloman
  2. Tyler Simmons
  3. Demetris Robertson
  4. Kearis Jackson
  5. Dominick Blaylock
  6. Trey Blount
  7. Matt Landers
  8. Tommy Bush
  9. Makiya Tongue

Also looking like we might be expecting some transfer news on Brini, Gibbs, and Hunter soon.  

Holloman is the only impact player on that list, with Simmons barely, and Blaylock is the only rookie expected to make an instant impact.

I'm not trying to fear monger here, but we're only fine if the unknowns show something next season

I'm just really been looking/hoping for impact receivers, and if Ridley and Hardman leaves, the cupboard is pretty bare

and now we have to hope that Zeus recovers at RB too

especially if Cook leaves (really hope not)

Skill position players are dwindling

Welp, we’ve got spots at all skill positions. Great for recruiting, but stinks for the 19 season. Seriously hoping that Zeus’s knees hold up because we’re going to need him.

9 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

****, Nauta, Fields, Holyfield, Ford, Ridley, and Hardman in one day

good gawd that is a lot of firepower out the door.   Makes you wonder if it's nastier behind the scenes in the program than we think.  I don't see Holyfield, Ridley nor Hardman going before rounds 3 or 4.    Hardman kind of in same boat as Isaiah McKenzie who was drafted in 5th round.

Ironic that we lost out on Sanders because "Holyfield coming back" and now he's gone.

Just now, g-dawg said:

good gawd that is a lot of firepower out the door.   Makes you wonder if it's nastier behind the scenes in the program than we think.  I don't see Holyfield, Ridley nor Hardman going before rounds 3 or 4.    Hardman kind of in same boat as Isaiah McKenzie who was drafted in 5th round.

Ironic that we lost out on Sanders because "Holyfield coming back" and now he's gone.

I wonder what their grades were and did that force some of them also.  

14 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

surely to God Cook will stay now w/ Holyfield leaving.

don't feel great about 2020 RB Milton now either after all those bouquets he was throwing Justin Fields via twitter/instagram.

Just now, g-dawg said:

surely to God Cook will stay now w/ Holyfield leaving.

don't feel great about 2020 RB Milton now either after all those bouquets he was throwing Justin Fields via twitter/instagram.

Wouldn't look too much into that.  Weren't Fields and Haselwood bff's and were joined at the hip?

sdogg likes this

8 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Wouldn't look too much into that.  Weren't Fields and Haselwood bff's and were joined at the hip?

yep and when Fields left we missed out on Haselwood.  I don't think there is same connection for Fields/Milton but he was/is a guy that other players gravitated towards.

Man! There's something wrong in Athens...… alot more than we know! Not trying to sound negative, but that's a lot of talent that needs replacing in one cycle. 

g-dawg likes this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

All's fair in love, war and recruiting.

I know KS wanted to be in a position of reloading and not rebuilding but I do not think we are there yet. I really think we are going to be more impacted by lack of leadership, our OC, No DC yet and just bad mouthing by some players than some may realize. 

As others have pointed out, this is what happens when you recruit a ton of top talent. There simply isn't enough room on the depth chart for everyone, and the ones that do succeed are more likely to declare and get that money than to stay.

Our problem is that we've been doing it long enough to have that problem, but not long enough to have enough of the ones that stay to make up upperclassmen.

Supposedly from those in the know, our "leaders" in the locker room, are mostly Freshman rising to Sophomores, so it may be a couple years before we can establish a steady base of Seniors at this rate.

1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

As others have pointed out, this is what happens when you recruit a ton of top talent. There simply isn't enough room on the depth chart for everyone, and the ones that do succeed are more likely to declare and get that money than to stay.

Our problem is that we've been doing it long enough to have that problem, but not long enough to have enough of the ones that stay to make up upperclassmen.

Supposedly from those in the know, our "leaders" in the locker room, are mostly Freshman rising to Sophomores, so it may be a couple years before we can establish a steady base of Seniors at this rate.

That last paragraph upsets me

Wardog357 likes this

23 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Holloman is the only impact player on that list, with Simmons barely, and Blaylock is the only rookie expected to make an instant impact.

I'm not trying to fear monger here, but we're only fine if the unknowns show something next season

I'm just really been looking/hoping for impact receivers, and if Ridley and Hardman leaves, the cupboard is pretty bare

Don't agree with that at all. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised. 

20 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

19 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

****, Nauta, Fields, Holyfield, Ford, Ridley, and Hardman in one day

You're generally one of the better posters around here so I'm just going to chalk this up to a knee-jerk reaction, but I think you're going way over the top on these comments. We all knew all of these moves were possible, and a lot of us expected them. Losing offensive skill position players is by far the least troublesome thing for us to replace since we've stockpiled so many of them over the last 3 years. We're going to be more than fine at RB and WR; the only issue might be some depth at TE for blocking purposes. But that just means we can probably use one of our many extra offensive linemen in that blocking TE role which will give one of those neglected guys a few more snaps. 

We've still got FIVE running backs on the roster. Even if we redshirt McIntosh we're still going to have a hard time getting enough carries to go around between Swift, Herrien, Cook, and Zeus. Holyfield knew this was going to be his most productive season at UGA due to the early Swift injury; he was smart to get out now because his stock was only going to go down next year if he had to split carries with the rest of those 4 guys.   

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I see Ridley as 2nd or 3rd round. He's got bonafide NFL #1 WR ability. Hardman is bigger and faster than iMac, I'm guessing 3rd or 4th round for him after he blows up the combine. Holyfield probably 5th round, but he would probably go lower than that next year and would be losing a year of tread on his wheels. 

We didn't lose Sanders because Holyfield was coming back; we lost him because at that time Holyfield hadn't made up his mind and we couldn't guarantee Sanders that Holyfield was leaving. He chose to not take that chance and signed with Bama instead. 

2 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I wonder if Sanders feels lied to

No. See above. 

Macknsweetjones likes this

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

Don't agree with that at all. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised. 

I hope to be, but hope isn't facts. I posted what is true right now. The rest we'll have to wait on.

2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

No. See above. 

Allegedly, Sanders committed to us the night before ESD, but Saban flipped him based on the presumption that Holyfield was staying and he wouldn't see the field here, hence the comment

3 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I don't buy that for a second. Part of the problem this year was the freshmen running around unchecked during the season which led to the LSU debacle. That's when the upperclassman leadership started putting the freshmen in their place and order was restored and we went on our successful run up to the SECCG. I listed somewhere else that we have around 10-11 rising seniors and 14ish rising 3rd year players that have all seen significant snaps for us -- and a lot of those already recognized leaders or players that should now be in better position to emerge as leaders. 

Don't take me as being and doom and gloom, and saying we have no chance next year, because I'm not, at all. In fact, I have great confidence that we'll do very well, but we lost late on a lot of top talent at the skill positions in this class, and then to lose all these guys in one go, hurts. There's not getting around that.

It sucks, but I'll get over it.

1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

Allegedly, Sanders committed to us the night before ESD, but Saban flipped him based on the presumption that Holyfield was staying and he wouldn't see the field here, hence the comment

Sanders said himself in an interview after he signed that he wasn't sure what Holyfield was going to do because he hadn't made up his mind yet and that it affected Sanders decision. It doesn't get more true than when it comes from the horse's mouth. 

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

I don't buy that for a second. Part of the problem this year was the freshmen running around unchecked during the season which led to the LSU debacle. That's when the upperclassman leadership started putting the freshmen in their place and order was restored and we went on our successful run up to the SECCG. I listed somewhere else that we have around 10-11 rising seniors and 14ish rising 3rd year players that have all seen significant snaps for us -- and a lot of those already recognized leaders or players that should now be in better position to emerge as leaders. 

I could swear that it was said that guys like Tindall and a few other freshman were among those who stepped up as leaders during all that.

I could just be remembering wrong though

29 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Yeah but Holyfield, Hardman, Nauta and Ridley all were starters and none are going on Day#1 and I will be surprised if any go on Day#2 (2nd/3rd rd) of NFL Draft.

Given all the player mutiny stuff, I hope there isn’t more negative stuff going on than we as fans would think.  I wouldn’t link any of those guys to Fields but it could be other things with coaches.

Hope Not!!!