Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

January 2019 UGA Recruiting - Sugar and Spice!

722 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

What makes me laugh is they all say "Please Respect my Decision" and "I will not comment on it or No Questions"

I will respect the decision but I will still comment and ask questions.  

For whatever reason, it really irks me when a someone says "respect my decision." Also when people say "I'm taking my talents to..."

LOL. Get over yourselves.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Carter said:

We will have to disagree about Cross I guess... he’s an elite prospect imo and just keeps getting better. For 2020, Cavazos has potential but he’s not a lock by any means and I would put him a clear notch below Cross right now.

Plus Sentell has repeatedly said UGA is recruiting Cavazos as a CB, not a safety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

next year's class is going to be very offensive - heavy on QB/RB/WR/TE 

I don't know about that. I see the best of our class next year being on both lines, with RB at about the same level

After that, we'll have to wait and see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Plus Sentell has repeatedly said UGA is recruiting Cavazos as a CB, not a safety. 

CBs can almost always be moved to safety, but rarely vise versa

The same is true with OTs and OGs

It's why, once you have a strong established base at either of the first, you only recruit the former, outside of truly top recruits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

We have to address needs over best available.  We need a te, a wr and we could use another db, but it's not a must have.  We have no clue if Cross is better than any other safety in the next class.  

I don’t think we “need” a TE so bad that we lose a talent like Cross or Elam. Fitzpatrick and C.W. Will can hold the fort down as our pass catching TE’s and if we need an extra blocker we could just add an extra lineman. 

Yeah our numbers are down for the position but we aren’t hurting for talent or options there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Plus Sentell has repeatedly said UGA is recruiting Cavazos as a CB, not a safety. 

I don’t read Sentell much so idk. Corners get drafted higher than safeties these days so it’s probably just the pitch. He’s a safety and probably a very good one at the next level, but I just haven’t been as impressed with him as I am with Cross. He has another year to change my mind though. Nolan Smith has been all over that guy to be a Dawg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

So Jeff George's son visited Georgia.

If he has Jeffs attitude...I'd pass. Jeff was all about him and not about team.

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wardog357 said:

If he has Jeffs attitude...I'd pass. Jeff was all about him and not about team.

He would be a pwo, but agree on the attitude. 

Wardog357 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

CBs can almost always be moved to safety, but rarely vise versa

The same is true with OTs and OGs

It's why, once you have a strong established base at either of the first, you only recruit the former, outside of truly top recruits. 

Almost always is probably overselling it a bit. A lot of corners don’t like to tackle... something safeties have to do exceptionally well at this level. Safety is not just a fall back position for corners who kinda suck and we’re not looking for serviceable. We lost our best chance at a national title since Herschel on a play where a pretty good safety totally blew his assignment. Parrish was the goat of that game but he’s truly not the one who blew that play.

We seem to be recruiting the best we can bring in at each position anyway. 

VA F.O. and fibonaccisquared like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Idon't see how Stevenson doesn't move to safety in year 1.

He could. I thought he was safety all the way but guys who have watched a lot more of him than I have say he’s a better corner than Campbell and a great scheme fit at corner in Kirby’s d.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carter said:

He could. I thought he was safety all the way but guys who have watched a lot more of him than I have say he’s a better corner than Campbell and a great scheme fit at corner in Kirby’s d.

He's so **** big.  Don't see a bunch of 210 lb corners.

m2Falcons likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Turkeydawg said:

He's so **** big.  Don't see a bunch of 210 lb corners.

Yeah he’s a big dude. Plays physical af too. Campbell isn’t afraid of contact either. Think that’s why Kirby wanted those guys so bad... could be a big reason they play a lot at corner too. Stevenson’s ability to jam is just nasty.

Now I could see it working out for Stevenson that way, where he plays corner for us but translates better to safety in the NFL. But I don’t know. All I know is it’s a good problem for us to have and I want Cross regardless lol

m2Falcons likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yeah he’s a big dude. Plays physical af too. Campbell isn’t afraid of contact either. Think that’s why Kirby wanted those guys so bad... could be a big reason they play a lot at corner too. Stevenson’s ability to jam is just nasty.

Now I could see it working out for Stevenson that way, where he plays corner for us but translates better to safety in the NFL. But I don’t know. All I know is it’s a good problem for us to have and I want Cross regardless lol

Yep

m2Falcons likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

With Holloman, Landers, D Robinson, Kearis Jackson,  Tommy Bush, Blaylock and Makiya Tongue - I gotta believe we could survive there for a season.   D-Rob will probably step up this year.

Simmons too.......

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep seeing them talk about guys being special teams stars? Given that our kickers ko out do the end zone, how does that really matter anymore. Ransoms don’t just lineup on punts right? Off subject but just think the whole special teams demon is a thing of the past, not worth getting a good player hurt or burning a shirt for... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more film I see on Stevenson, the less I am impressed with him at cb.  He seems better suited at safety and seemed to play there a fair amount in hs.  He has great closing speed, but often times gets beat at the line of scrimmage and is reaching...against hs kids.  I just don't see how that will fly against quality d1 receivers.  Obviously if he improves his technique, he could be a solid cb, but i expected to see more of him blanketing kids at the hs level.  I love his physicality, but am concerned about his technique at the los.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ECDawg78 said:

Simmons too.......

regardless having just 9 wrs is not ideal.. we want double digit wrs on campus.  we are going to take a WR.. our fans need to come to grips with that (not you, but it's clear our fans don't get the positions we are targeting).  whether it's mingo, pickens, or cager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

The more film I see on Stevenson, the less I am impressed with him at cb.  He seems better suited at safety and seemed to play there a fair amount in hs.  He has great closing speed, but often times gets beat at the line of scrimmage and is reaching...against hs kids.  I just don't see how that will fly against quality d1 receivers.  Obviously if he improves his technique, he could be a solid cb, but i expected to see more of him blanketing kids at the hs level.  I love his physicality, but am concerned about his technique at the los.

 

Most guys at the high school level get little to no coaching on technique unless they can afford private coaching. They get some basic teaching and get told to go cover that guy over there man to man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

regardless having just 9 wrs is not ideal.. we want double digit wrs on campus.  we are going to take a WR.. our fans need to come to grips with that (not you, but it's clear our fans don't get the positions we are targeting).  whether it's mingo, pickens, or cager. 

Speaking of which, has this been discussed here?  I think he could help us and play a similar role as Wims.  

Imatorbhebhe plans to transfer from USC football program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

Speaking of which, has this been discussed here?  I think he could help us and play a similar role as Wims.  

Imatorbhebhe plans to transfer from USC football program

2 catches for 11 yds in  2017 and didn't play in 2018?  Not sure how much help he would be.  Wims was an absolute freak and bigger.  Don't think this guy would be anywhere near Wims ability.

Edited by Turkeydawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on cager, and normally agree on hs product but unless Pickens qualifies no one else out of hs would help us win a title next year, think that’s the mentality Kirby is looking at

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

The more film I see on Stevenson, the less I am impressed with him at cb.  He seems better suited at safety and seemed to play there a fair amount in hs.  He has great closing speed, but often times gets beat at the line of scrimmage and is reaching...against hs kids.  I just don't see how that will fly against quality d1 receivers.  Obviously if he improves his technique, he could be a solid cb, but i expected to see more of him blanketing kids at the hs level.  I love his physicality, but am concerned about his technique at the los.

 

Really? :huh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Really? :huh:

 

Yep.  tyrique is going to be a heck of a CB for us if he doesn't outgrow the position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0