Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

January 2019 UGA Recruiting - Sugar and Spice!

722 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

LeCounte needs to be upgraded desperately.   If he doesn’t get better this year he could be in danger of being processed - probably not though.

He won't get processed, but he needs to step it up.  He led the team in missed tackles, with 15.  

g-dawg likes this

12 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

This kid milking it like he has 5 stars.

I love it actually.. this is what the early signing day has done.  some kids like Seither are now very very valuable and it's great that they can enjoy it.  

27 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

I love it actually.. this is what the early signing day has done.  some kids like Seither are now very very valuable and it's great that they can enjoy it.  

There are positives and negatives with the esd.  Losing out on a rb like Sanders, due to the fact that Holyfield hasn't declared, stings.

If Elam and Cross both want in, I don’t know how you tell either of them no. We do need a TE or two and we need a WR if possible, but when you have like 3 spots to play with you take the best you can get imo. Especially Cross because he is better than any safety we’re going to get next year.

TE is a real need but we will be fine at WR. Pickens is the only one I’d take over Cross or Elam and he probably isn’t going to qualify so it’s an easy choice to me if it comes to that. If Elam and/or Cross end up going elsewhere then our finish is going to be pretty meh... but we already signed an awesome class so whatever.

We have to address needs over best available.  We need a te, a wr and we could use another db, but it's not a must have.  We have no clue if Cross is better than any other safety in the next class.  

43 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

There are positives and negatives with the esd.  Losing out on a rb like Sanders, due to the fact that Holyfield hasn't declared, stings.

True but if we get two 5-stars in 2020 then it will be for the best and alleviate the logjam if Sanders was here this year.   If Sanders came, Herrien probably leaves and while Sanders May be better, Herrien is more ready to contribute now.   If Zeus doesn’t show well by season’s end, Freshman will be even more attracted to UGA.

12 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

We have to address needs over best available.  We need a te, a wr and we could use another db, but it's not a must have.  We have no clue if Cross is better than any other safety in the next class.  

I would disagree that we "need" one for 2019. I don't have the numbers, but with the previous offense, we ran 2 TE formations somewhat regularly, but primarily on running plays. We've got Fitzpatrick, and Goede should be on the road to recovery by around the beginning of the season. On the WR front, we have yet to see what guys like Matt Landers and Tommy Bush are going to be, and there is still a good chance that Demetris Robertson is back to form this year with a full training camp. I think the coaches would be more comfortable with guys in those roles, but if you have two elite guys available, I think we'd still take them. Personally, don't think it will matter with Cross though.

RandomFan likes this

20 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

With Holloman, Landers, D Robinson, Kearis Jackson,  Tommy Bush, Blaylock and Makiya Tongue - I gotta believe we could survive there for a season.   D-Rob will probably step up this year.

ECDawg78 likes this

My opinion is that if a kid like Pickens wants in, you take him, and if he qualifies, sort out the numbers then, and I believe the evidence shows that the coaching staff thinks the same way

You just don't say know to top talent

g-dawg and fibonaccisquared like this

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

True but if we get two 5-stars in 2020 then it will be for the best and alleviate the logjam if Sanders was here this year.   If Sanders came, Herrien probably leaves and while Sanders May be better, Herrien is more ready to contribute now.   If Zeus doesn’t show well by season’s end, Freshman will be even more attracted to UGA.

Yep, that's also true.

g-dawg likes this

For that same reason, I'd move (if they all wanted in) to take him, Elam, and Cross for sure, and maybe another depending on the exact numbers, and counting Pickens as an extra spot.

Take a grad transfer TE like the Wolfe kid, then take two studs in 2020. Seither always felt like a reach to me, out of desperation.

1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

My opinion is that if a kid like Pickens wants in, you take him, and if he qualifies, sort out the numbers then, and I believe the evidence shows that the coaching staff thinks the same way

You just don't say know to top talent

Do you gamble on a stud who is 50/50 at best to get in, or go with a sure thing like Mingo, or the Miami grad transfer?

29 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Do you gamble on a stud who is 50/50 at best to get in, or go with a sure thing like Mingo, or the Miami grad transfer?

Ask yourself this question

Would either of those even be in the conversation right now, had we not missed on Haselwood?

and would Pickens still be?

g-dawg and fibonaccisquared like this

7 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Warren Brinson just decommitted 

brinson's commitment reminds me of chaney.. i was surprised we took him so early. 

4 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

We have bigger needs than 2 more db's.  We actually have depth at their positions.

We actually don't have a lot of depth at safety, and Cross is a stud. That kid is stupid fast. 

https://www.milesplit.com/articles/254994/nick-cross-working-toward-becoming-elite-sprinter

The result was a job well done, as Cross won the 55m by tying his 6.33 second PR, was second in the 300m in 35.25 seconds and paced DeMatha out to an early lead in the 4x200 relay before Bullis School (MD) set a national record in the event--the Stags, meanwhile, finished second and just four-tenths away from a school record in 1:27.92. In time, his development in the sprints could help him hone in on his current 4.43 second 40-yard dash time and his 38.50-inch vertical leap. 

30 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Warren Brinson just decommitted 

recruiting is such a roller coaster.    hang on for a wild ride

10 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

We actually don't have a lot of depth at safety, and Cross is a stud. That kid is stupid fast. 

https://www.milesplit.com/articles/254994/nick-cross-working-toward-becoming-elite-sprinter

As it relates to safety depth, outside of our starters, we have Otis from last year and Cine from this class.  I would have to think, that depending on how our CB and star competition goes, more than 1 player will be moving to safety.

We have Stokes, Campbell, Wilson, Webb, Speed, Smith, Poole, Stevenson, McGhee and Daniel. Those will be battling for 3 starting spots.

Almost all those guys could get looks at safety.  

Edited by Turkeydawg

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

brinson's commitment reminds me of chaney.. i was surprised we took him so early. 

What makes me laugh is they all say "Please Respect my Decision" and "I will not comment on it or No Questions"

I will respect the decision but I will still comment and ask questions.  

26 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

We will have to disagree about Cross I guess... he’s an elite prospect imo and just keeps getting better. For 2020, Cavazos has potential but he’s not a lock by any means and I would put him a clear notch below Cross right now. Would be very surprised if we get in on a better safety than Cavazos next year... it just doesn’t line up for us imo.

Safety is definitely a need. We have a bunch of DBs but only like 4 safeties, plus Cine coming in. We lose 1 for sure after this year, maybe 2 if Lecounte improves with a solid year and likes his chances in the draft. Corner and safety are not really interchangeable positions. Campbell will probably move full time to safety, I think his skills are better there... but Cross in particular should be a priority. We need more depth and top competition at safety. I think it’s clear he is a priority since we went to Maryland to try convincing him to visit Athens this weekend and got him to visit on his own dime with an official already scheduled elsewhere this weekend.

I’m fine either way, we’re just talking preference. For the most part I will trust our talent evals and who we sign. I will say however that after watching QB1 on Netflix recently, I kinda question how Kirby evaluates guys personalities fitting the team. Show was really eye opening to me on Fields and the environment his HS coach has at Harrison. I’m almost certain at this point we only made him such a priority to get the recruiting headlines... dude was not a fit and we about made the same exact mistake all over again with Haselwood.

But anyway, we’ll see how it goes. I can’t see us finishing in a way that would bother me regardless. The only one I’m not going to be thrilled about signing is Pickens (if he does). Definitely understand if Kirby can’t pass that one up but I’ll only be thrilled about that one when he actually qualifies and enrolls. If he does I will be extremely pumped about it.