Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

January 2019 UGA Recruiting - Sugar and Spice!

722 posts in this topic

Just now, g-dawg said:

Totally agree.

 Kirby won’t get Elam back to Athens after Saturday.  This weekend will get us in this thing with him or we are out.   Don’t see us in without cleaning that up.

I love kirby's arrogance that he can recruit kids at a high level and that is nice and all, but these players need to meet and spend time with their future position coach.  that needs to be announced tomorrow.  kirby knows who he is going to hire, he needs to stop with this clock and dagger crap and say it publicly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Rambo is pure speculation on my part and I am not confident that is the plan.

it would not surprise me if that was the hire.  kirby is like saban he wants to promote from within if he has a good option.. rambo has been very involved in recruiting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

it would not surprise me if that was the hire.  kirby is like saban he wants to promote from within if he has a good option.. rambo has been very involved in recruiting.  

Everybody gets their first full time coaching gig sometime.   After being with Kirby this year, he should know what Rambo is capable of - I know he was a hella player.

SacFalcFan and sdogg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Everybody gets their first full time coaching gig sometime.   After being with Kirby this year, he should know what Rambo is capable of - I know he was a hella player.

it might be too soon for rambo.. he has only been in athens since last year and kirby might want to give him some more time before promoting him, but who knows right now.. rambo may have really impressed kirby and kirby was trying to find a candidate that made him decide against promoting ramob, but no candidate did..  whatever kirby does though i trust in this area.. he knows that position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW we will be seeing some big dividends with the addition of Hartley.  Hartley was doing some major work in jacksonville for Miami.  It's going to be exciting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

BTW we will be seeing some big dividends with the addition of Hartley.  Hartley was doing some major work in jacksonville for Miami.  It's going to be exciting. 

Yes, I  very excited about the Hartley hire - great recruiter and hopefully he can influence Coley on incorporating the Tight Ends more in the passing game.  Great hire - his #1 recruiting job is to get the 2020 5-star kid out of Marietta.

sdogg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What position are we recruiting Mark Anthony Richards at, rb?  Looks like he is visiting this weekend.  Says he is a high priority for the 2019 class.

sdogg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Could be RB or a slot WR, he's a lot like Cook

Beat me to it, was thinking the same when I watched his highlights

Also plays DB on defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt he would be coming as a db.  I was thinking about similarities between he and cook, but he is more put together and feels more like a true rb, than a slot guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Anthony Richards doesn't want to play defense. He wants to play RB. Try to sell him on defense he will stop listening 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Mark Anthony Richards doesn't want to play defense. He wants to play RB. Try to sell him on defense he will stop listening 

Sounds like Arik Gilbert

Turkeydawg and youngbloodz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to see why we would go for Richards, just based on our roster/depth/needs. He is a lot like Cook and probably not as good. Saw his name pop up earlier this week though. I’m sure he’s a good player but that’s a head scratcher considering our needs and spots remaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on Pickens...

Jake Reuse says a close source told him UGA in fact sent Pickens a NLI to sign at 10:30 on early signing day. He nearly signed it then but decided to hold off. He also had NLIs from Tennessee and LSU, nothing from Auburn - UGA was the choice, but again he obviously did not sign. Auburn is falling out of the picture. Georgia is the favorite with Tennessee also making a push for him. However, his academic issue may go into the summer and Reuse was told it’s 50-50 at best that Pickens qualifies.

95Dawg and sdogg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carter said:

Hard to see why we would go for Richards, just based on our roster/depth/needs. He is a lot like Cook and probably not as good. Saw his name pop up earlier this week though. I’m sure he’s a good player but that’s a head scratcher considering our needs and spots remaining.

Richards could be a first round pick at safety but alas he wants to play RB

Carter and Porter Osborne Jr like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Richards could be a first round pick at safety but alas he wants to play RB

I saw a video where he was in contention with Elam and Dent for an award in his area for DB play

youngbloodz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I saw a video where he was in contention with Elam and Dent for an award in his area for DB play

Kid is a monster on defense. One of the top DBs in Florida 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Referring to the Hasslewood debacle, took this from a poster over at DawgNation, thought it was good food for thought. 

Quote

I'm just going to point out that the whole "open up the offense" being key to NFL earning potential... isn't really supported by facts. Especially not for WR.

AJ Green. First round pick. Never cracked 1000 yards as a college WR. UGA didn't "open up" the offense.
Julio Jones. First round pick. Cracked 1000 yards once in college. Bama didn't "open up" the offense.
Odell Beckham. First round pick. Cracked 1000 yards once in college. LSU didn't "open up" the offense.
Calvin Johnson. First round pick. Cracked 1000 yards once in college. GT didn't "open up" the offense.
Demaryious Thomas. First round pick. Cracked 1000 yards once in college. GT didn't "open up" the offense.

The reality is that playing for pass happy offenses doesn't really get WR into the NFL easier. The NFL is pretty good at identifying great players regardless of what offense they're in. They're not particularly fooled by huge numbers.

For Oklahoma since 2010-
DeDe Westbrook... 1500 recieving yards in 2016... 4th round.
Sterling Sheppard - 1300 yards in 2015... 2nd round
Jalen Saunders - 700 yards in 2013... 4th round.
Kenny Stills - 900 yards in 2012. 5th round
Justin Brown - 800 yards in 2012. 6th round
Ryan Broyles - 1600 yards in 2010. 2nd round

Compare that to:
Javon Wims - 7th round (700 yards in 2017)
Isiah McKenzie - 5th round (600 yards in 2016)
Malcolm Mitchell - 4th round (800 yards in 2015)
Chris Conley - 3rd round (600 yards in 2014)
Tavarres King - 5th round (900 yards in 2012)
AJ Green - 1st round (800 yards in 2010)
Kris Durham - 4th round (600 yards in 2010)

More WR come out of UGA (who's had a run first offense forever) than from OU in the last decade. The idea that prolific offenses help you get to the NFL as a WR is just wrong.

 

TheTrue7, m2Falcons, 95Dawg and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure we all know at this point that all that was just one of many excuses

Like I said, the kid looked for reasons to go somewhere other than UGA

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

I'm pretty sure we all know at this point that all that was just one of many excuses

Like I said, the kid looked for reasons to go somewhere other than UGA

it seems like the ONLY reason Haselwood committed to Dawgs initially must have been Fields - very odd that a player could go from loving UGA to showing so much contempt and disdain for them - while UGA did nothing but show the kid love.   Weird.

Dawggone and sdogg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

it seems like the ONLY reason Haselwood committed to Dawgs initially must have been Fields - very odd that a player could go from loving UGA to showing so much contempt and disdain for them - while UGA did nothing but show the kid love.   Weird.

Nah, he committed to UGA long before the UGA/Fields thing started. Things changed after the 2018 season began. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0