Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

January 2019 UGA Recruiting - Sugar and Spice!

722 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Image result for you're not the boss of me

Take a hike. A guy asks what's wrong with our QB recruiting. Can't really answer that without addressing the Fields situation. It's recruiting related more than it is "transfer discussion" related, so you know what you can do if you don't like it. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Then you understand wrong. 

Ok, but an explanation would have been nice. No expert on recruiting but the class seems to be fine and no one was lost because of this. It's not like kids wouldn't have known that were close enough to him to let it affect their decision anyways. If the Stephenson kid has a problem with that baseball player and how it was handled then he can go elsewhere. Number two class is pretty good. My question was to better understand how a transfer timing affects recruiting for my future knowledge. I just don't see when a kid should do it if not before the bowl game. Food did the same thing right?

Elam or cross? Which do we have a better shot at and which would could be true cb? Or would u rather .... he wonder where fields will transfer or u think he might stay? What a low character kid huh,  not willing to fight for the starting job??  Choose and move on 

1 minute ago, GAbred said:

Ok, but an explanation would have been nice. No expert on recruiting but the class seems to be fine and no one was lost because of this. It's not like kids wouldn't have known that were close enough to him to let it affect their decision anyways. If the Stephenson kid has a problem with that baseball player and how it was handled then he can go elsewhere. Number two class is pretty good. My question was to better understand how a transfer timing affects recruiting for my future knowledge. I just don't see when a kid should do it if not before the bowl game. Food did the same thing right?

And this is the pertinent time to point you to the very lengthy Justin Fields transfer thread where all of THAT discussion has been beaten to death for the last two weeks. The reason I was short with you in the first place is that this has been a thoroughly traveled road around here already. You see how testy people are already getting with it being brought up in the new recruiting thread. 

GAbred likes this

4 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Elam or cross? Which do we have a better shot at and which would could be true cb? Or would u rather .... he wonder where fields will transfer or u think he might stay? What a low character kid huh,  not willing to fight for the starting job??  Choose and move on 

Elam is more of a true cb.  Don't know who we have a better shot at.  

itsjustafleshwound likes this

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Image result for you're not the boss of me

Take a hike. A guy asks what's wrong with our QB recruiting. Can't really answer that without addressing the Fields situation. It's recruiting related more than it is "transfer discussion" related, so you all know what you can do if you don't like it. 

For recruiting purposes, he's assumed to be gone. We have Fromm, Mathis, and with a very open chance for quick playing time, our top targets are coming off the board quickly.

I like Mathis' potential after two years under Fromm, but that's no guarantee of success. Maybe we don't see another top 5 QB until 2021. That's the gist of my post.

2 minutes ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

For recruiting purposes, he's assumed to be gone. We have Fromm, Mathis, and with a very open chance for quick playing time, our top targets are coming off the board quickly.

I like Mathis' potential after two years under Fromm, but that's no guarantee of success. Maybe we don't see another top 5 QB until 2021. That's the gist of my post.

WTF are you even talking about? We just made the cutdown for the final 7 for the top rated QB in the country for 2020; we're in it for Robbie Ashford who is a top QB for 2020, in it with CJ Dixon for 2020. And we are only 2 weeks into the recruiting reality of Fields not being here -- other 2020 QBs will start to take notice. 

mike teevee and sdogg like this

Really think CJ Dixon will shoot up the rankings some more this year and we will be very happy to bring him in. I’m never big on Grayson players but that guy has been improving a lot and I’m looking forward to seeing how he progresses over the next year.

Ashford is all Auburn imo and I don’t think that’s changing.

9 minutes ago, Carter said:

I’m never big on Grayson players

The Grayson thing is my biggest concern; or one of them at least. The other being the lack of starting experience. 

Re: Ashford, I don't think that's the case. Quite a few Auburn guys I've seen seemed to think UGA was heavily into it with him, and that was before the Fields news broke. And Auburn just signed Nix who is only 1 class ahead of him; might help scare him off from there. 

Dr.Falconfan likes this

1 minute ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

I thought we slipped down Elam’s board when Tucker left.

Yes. We slipped down from it being a done deal to UGA to it being a wait and see who we bring in for DC and then we'll see if that is still the case. 

18 minutes ago, Carter said:

I've seen some Auburn insiders saying the exact opposite on Ashford.

7 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

The Grayson thing is my biggest concern; or one of them at least. The other being the lack of starting experience. 

Re: Ashford, I don't think that's the case. Quite a few Auburn guys I've seen seemed to think UGA was heavily into it with him, and that was before the Fields news broke. And Auburn just signed Nix who is only 1 class ahead of him; might help scare him off from there. 

2 minutes ago, Ransack said:

I've seen some Auburn insiders saying the exact opposite on Ashford.

I guess we will see. I don’t think he ends up anywhere else but it wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong about a kid a year out lol

RandomFan likes this

Just now, Dawgfanbrock said:

U think we hire a dc or name one soon? Before nsd?

i predict a hire by this weekend.  it will really help us with our db recruiting.  if we make the right hire we have elam.  he has said he wants to blaze his own trail.  he is looking for reasons to not go to florida. 

After telling me yesterday that he'd just done financial aid with his top four schools, I asked about reports that he'd signed his LOI.

He confirmed that he has done so, and the team is aware of his choice.

In an interview coming with our Adam Gorney, he says Oklahoma is 'like a dream school', but also says 'you don't always sign with your dream school.'

Safe to say this is all pretty wacky.

We'll check back in with him again later this week to follow up again.

**from Trent. 

from Trent: 

Just talked with Robby Ashford at Future 50 check-in. From the talks, he is pretty much down to Auburn and Georgia without saying. Penn State and Florida were mentioned a little. 

A final decision is coming in March. 

He admitted that the coach he was closest with was Chip Lindsey who is no longer in this. Baseball is also a factor with this one. He could be a draft potential kid as well. 

Georgia is big time in this. Telling you that right now. Depth chart helps a ton. 

A LOT more coming on him. 

14 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

After telling me yesterday that he'd just done financial aid with his top four schools, I asked about reports that he'd signed his LOI.

In an interview coming with our Adam Gorney, he says Oklahoma is 'like a dream school', but also says 'you don't always sign with your dream school.'

**from Trent. 

Seems to be quite the trustworthy youngster.

26 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

*from Trent. 

I'm over this kid. He can do whatever, don't care. I remember someone mentioning a long time ago that whoever ends up with Haselwood is going to have to do some MAJOR de-recruiting on him. That's painfully obvious. 

25 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

from Trent: 

Just talked with Robby Ashford at Future 50 check-in. From the talks, he is pretty much down to Auburn and Georgia without saying. Penn State and Florida were mentioned a little. 
A final decision is coming in March. 
He admitted that the coach he was closest with was Chip Lindsey who is no longer in this. Baseball is also a factor with this one. He could be a draft potential kid as well. 
Georgia is big time in this. Telling you that right now. Depth chart helps a ton. 
A LOT more coming on him. 

Pretty much what I've heard. 

29 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I'm over this kid. He can do whatever, don't care. I remember someone mentioning a long time ago that whoever ends up with Haselwood is going to have to do some MAJOR de-recruiting on him. That's painfully obvious. 

Pretty much what I've heard. 

Yeah. Seems to have a lot of growing up to do but if he does pick Dawgs then I think its his best choice for long term as player and person, and thus his future....  guess we'll see how it goes for him.  Of course I think Fields would benefit the most by just staying at UGA and working his arse off and earning it also...  but they aren't seeking my input.  :tiphat:

mike teevee, sdogg and SacFalcFan like this