atljbo

Koetter leading candidate for Falcons’ open OC position

119 posts in this topic

As D. Orlando Ledbetter reported earlier, Dirk Koetter a strong candidate to return to the Falcons as offensive coordinator after being let go by the Bucs. Matt Ryan always been a big Koetter supporter.

.now there's 2

Schefter saying this too per ESPN ticker, unless it’s just based on DLeds “inside scoop”

Here is where I am on this...if Matt Ryan is ok with someone and wants that person then I will also support that person even if he wouldn’t have been MY choice. Kubiak is my choice. But if Matt wants Koetter more than Kubiak, I trust his judgement more than mine in this issue. The critical thing is that Matt gets the guy this time that HE wants. I think he has earned and deserves that and the team would benefit from it. 

Emmitt likes this

50 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Here is where I am on this...if Matt Ryan is ok with someone and wants that person then I will also support that person even if he wouldn’t have been MY choice. Kubiak is my choice. But if Matt wants Koetter more than Kubiak, I trust his judgement more than mine in this issue. The critical thing is that Matt gets the guy this time that HE wants. I think he has earned and deserves that and the team would benefit from it. 

I don't think it's about picking Dirk over Kubiak... I truthfully think Kubiak would be our OC but he has this loyalty to the broncos who had his back when he had to stop coaching .. gave him a front office job.. And now that he wants to coach again they are telling him they will find a position for him. .. I can't be mad at that .

And with Dirk.. I wouldnt mind us brining him back... the bucs had the 3rd most yards per game.

I feel like at this point Matt Ryan just need a good OC .. SOMEONE that can scheme some guys here and there and Matt will do the rest

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Hiring Koetter would be beyond stupid. He runs a different blocking scheme on the OLine. We'd have to retool our entire OL and offensive scheme. 

It would more than likely lead to both dummitrof and Quinn’s firing.

Posted (edited)

Please just say no.  Say heck no.  NO NO NO! Just Sayin'. 

Happy New Year!

Edited by Realsurfin

Well, just ...

At least he'd be aggressive?

...and we gotta fix the OL as it is so...Not like we don't have the chance to determine a new LG/RG/RT. No worries for Matthews or Mack in another blocking system.

But I agree a million times the only way this works in a reunion of Koetter as OC is if it comes with a fixed OL and Freeman + insurance.

FalconsIn2020 and PokerSteve like this

If we didn't win a super bowl while Koetter was here... then why is he coming back?

Is there history in the NFL of coordinators that returned to the same capacity with a previous team; after trying a HC gig?

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Is there history in the NFL of coordinators that returned to the same capacity with a previous team; after trying a HC gig?

giphy.gif

Josh McDaniels

Ergo Proxy likes this

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Josh McDaniels

In this case, the HC would be different so not exactly as weird in that sense as in 'returning to the same regime'...when arguably we lost 2012 NFCCG because Turner was donezo anyway (his worst year for us and Matt still had his best year under Koetter) and that defense couldn't stop Gore/Kap combination run game from a controlled comeback after 17-0.

Similar to Kyle's offense being unable to close Patriots, but it was a much younger D that Quinn had taken over playcalling for being hung out to dry by the offense also stalling. Compared to Smith's tired D with no backbone; at least Quinn's is potentially much better with an offseason of moves and returning injured players.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
FalconsIn2020 likes this

7 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

giphy.gif

Josh McDaniels

PokerSteve likes this

10 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

giphy.gif

Bill Belichick did it with Parcells staff

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, fuego said:

NO RETREADS!

This is starting to remind me of Rankin Smith.

•  

Marion Campbell passed away a couple of years ago so they can dig quite that deep!

papachaz, PokerSteve and fuego like this

8 hours ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Why would they abandon the WCO to go get a guy Blank knows he fired before? SMFH. Its obviouslly Bevell or Kubiak 

To be fair, Koetter wasn’t fired. 

PokerSteve likes this