atljbo

Koetter leading candidate for Falcons’ open OC position

119 posts in this topic

Koetter leading candidate for Falcons’ open OC position 

FLOWERY BRANCH  — 

After being fired by Tampa Bay as head coach on Sunday, former Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter is considered the front-runner to land the open offensive coordinator position, according to a source with knowledge of teams looking for offensive coordinators.

The Falcons fired Steve Sarkisian on Monday and former Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell is scheduled to interview for the opening, according to Ian Rapport of NFL Network.

The Falcons were setting up several interviews on Monday. They could have the coordinator named quickly, according to the source. “It should move pretty fast,” the source said.

Koetter, considered the architect of the foundation of Boise State’s football success, was with the Falcons from 2012-2014. He worked well with Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan. 

The Falcons reached the NFC championship game after the 2012 season and built a 17-0 lead before the defense collapsed under the play of San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the second half.

In 2012 under Koetter, Ryan led the league in completion percentage at 68.9 percent. He threw for 32, 26 and 28 touchdowns with Koetter and went to two of his four Pro Bowls. 

The Falcons miscalculated the talent along the offensive line and were not contenders in 2013 and 2014 before head coach Mike Smith was dismissed. Koetter and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, were under contract, but packed up and left because they knew the new coach would hire his own staff.

Ryan, 33, agreed to a five-year, $150 million contract extension which runs through the 2023 season. Ryan had a great relationship with Koetter. 

Bevell, who played quarterback at Wisconsin, was offensive coordinator for the Vikings from 2006-2010 and for the Seahawks from 2011 to 2017.

He visited with the Falcons over the offseason.  He was the coordinator in Super Bowl XLIX when the Seahawks tried to pass the ball on second-and-goal from 1-yard line. The pass was intercepted by New England’s Malcolm Butler. 

Conventional wisdom would have been to hand the ball off to Marshawn Lynch, who was perhaps the best power runner of his time.

Peter King, who was with Sports Illustrated at time, called the play the worst call in Super Bowl history.   

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/koetter-leading-candidate-for-open-position/NK581gHToLJwjbJIqFmKuO/

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

All I keep hearing is this is as desirable a job as any, so we better land a good one! 

I think Elway will keep Kubiak using that loyalty to him and the Broncos to keep him

g-dawg likes this

Dirk is good choice and he is already familiar with Matty and the organization. 

On 12/11/2018 at 9:20 AM, E. T. said:

Most people have to truly understand the sport in order to appreciate it. The origins of most sports today derives from soccer......Football, rugby, hockey, basketball, polo, Lacrosse...etc.

Soccer is huge and just by the attendance at MBS, that's enough proof to say it's making an impact on us.

Look at The Falcons stats as a running team under those years.

Ryan and Julio would love his return, but he's not a zone-block play-caller.

Koetter wouldn't be my 1st choice but he is dang sure not my last.  He so far would be a solid #3 for me right behind Kubiak and Gase.   If we don't get either of those 2 then im all for Koetter coming back as i think our offense done well under him and it's even more talented now.  So far the only guy im really not feeling listed is Bevell which is a good thing that we are looking at legit top quality oc's more often than not.

FalconFan1st, Vandy, AF89 and 1 other like this