Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThemDarnFalconsBoy!

Offensive Stats: Kubiak vs Bevell

49 posts in this topic

I know this game is a lot more than just stats, but it does give us a slight apple to apple comparison. Why are so many deadset against Bevell? 

Bevell's Offensive Stats:

• 2011 - Seahawks (OC) | YPG:  303.8 (28th) | PPG: 20.1 (23rd)  
  • 2012 - Seahawks (OC) | YPG: 350.6 (17th) | PPG: 25.8 (9th)
  • 2013 - Seahawks (OC) | YPG: 339.0 (18th) | PPG: 26.1 (8th) *Super Bowl Champs*
  • 2014 - Seahawks (OC) | YPG: 375.8 (9th) | PPG: 24.6 (10th)
  • 2015 - Seahawks (OC) | YPG: 378.6 (4th) | PPG: 26.4 (4th)
  • 2016 - Seahawks (OC) | YPG: 357.2 (12th) | PPG: 22.1 (18th)
  • 2017 - Seahawks (OC) | YPG: 330.4 (15th) | PPG: 22.9 (11th)

Kubiak's Offensive Stats:

• 2011 - Texans (HC) | YPG: 372.1 (13th) | PPG: 23.8 (10th)
  • 2012 - Texans (HC) | YPG: 372.1 (7th) | PPG: 26 (8th)
  • 2013 - Texans (HC) | YPG: 347.2 (11th) | PPG: 17.2 (31st)
  • 2014 - Ravens (OC) | YPG: 364.9 (12th) | PPG: 25.6 (8th)
  • 2015 - Broncos (HC) | YPG: 355.5 (16th) | PPG: 22.2 (19th) *Super Bowl Champs*
  • 2016 - Broncos (HC) | YPG: 323.1 (27th) | PPG: 20.8 (22nd)  

A lot of people see Kubiak as being a great OC and he was at one point back in the 90s - 2000s. Then they complain and that they want someone new and fresh with a cutting edge.

Schwarzwald likes this

If you compare just their tenure as OC I think you'll see Kubiak was way more successful.

I believe I remember him having Top 10 scoring offenses in 10 of his 11 seasons as an OC. 

I think there are a few things worth pointing out and clarifying.

Kubiak was OC in only one of those seasons. He led the Ravens to 8th in scoring with Flacco at QB. Equating offensive stats while he was HC is like judging DQ as a DC since he’s been in Atlanta. 

I think Bevel benefitted from a stellar D and ST’s contributing to field position, along with good OL. But he also never had the offensive talent we have here. 

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If you just compare just their tenure as OC I think you'll see Kubiak was way more successful.

I believe I remember him having Top 10 scoring offenses in 10 of his 11 seasons as an OC. 

He also made everyone and their grandmother 1000 yard rushers in Denver.

17 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Have passing and rushing ranking breakdowns?

I was posting this info and then I accidentally refreshed my browser window and gave up. You can compare them here though: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

To make a long story short, Bevell's offense was great at rushing, and Kubiak's were balanced and a lot better at passing.

Edited by ThemDarnFalconsBoy!

The biggest difference to me is the method in which they found success.

Bevell constantly sought out mobile QBs... Tavaris Jackson at first in Minny & Seattle, and then R. Wilson in Seattle. Outside on one great year from Brett Farve in Minny, I don't believe Bevell has a track record of success using non-mobile QBs.

Kubiak's philosophies on the other hand seem to fall in line with most of what we already have in place here.... which makes sense as he was an OC under Kyle's dad & Kyle was an OC under him.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If you just compare just their tenure as OC I think you'll see Kubiak was way more successful.

I thought about doing that but I wanted to compare from the same sample size for the same years. 

17 minutes ago, Jesus said:

A lot of people see Kubiak as being a great OC and he was at one point back in the 90s - 2000s. Then they complain and that they want someone new and fresh with a cutting edge.

Bevell is new and cutting edge to you

Got this from twitter...

Bevell wasn't perfect, but he got scapegoated for a lot of Seattle's offensive struggles near the end of his tenure, imo. From 2012-2015, the Seahawks' offense finished 4th, 7th, 5th, and 1st in DVOA

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

I thought about doing that but I wanted to compare from the same sample size for the same years. 

Hopefully the FO is focusing on that if they are actually pursuing Kubiak as an OC.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Hopefully the FO is focusing on that if they are actually pursuing Kubiak as an OC.

I get what you're saying the NFL was a very different league when Kubiak mainly an OC. 

Even if you look at what I posted 2014 is a fair OC comparison and it's still pretty close.

Edited by ThemDarnFalconsBoy!

2 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

I get what you're saying the NFL was a very different league when Kubiak mainly an OC. 

Even if you look at what I posted 2014 is a fair OC comparison and it's still pretty close.

He was running the offense we want to run.

Not a fan of it but if we're married to it he's the man.

18 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If you compare just their tenure as OC I think you'll see Kubiak was way more successful.

Exactly, that’s a fair comparison. Right now this analysis is comparing apples and oranges

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

10 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Exactly, that’s a fair comparison. Right now this analysis is comparing apples and oranges

How so? The NFL was a different league, with the exception of 2014, when Kubiak was an OC.