Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mqg96

Getting rid of Marquand Manuel doesn't make sense IMO.

29 posts in this topic

He has very little to do with how bad the defense has been. If anything, out of all of our 3 major coordinators, Manuel is the one you need to keep the most. Sarkisian and Armstrong can get outta here, I hope everyone understands that. Anyways. Let me get to my point. The poor defensive play has been on DAN QUINN the past 4 seasons. Our defense was problematic in 2015 and 2016 too. The least worst defense or the best defense statistically in the Quinn era, happened last season with Manuel (guess who) as our DC. Manuel comes from the Quinn tree and has been with Quinn going back to Seattle. Our defense won’t change even if we get rid of Manuel. Manuel was the coordinator who dealt with the most injuries from the beginning of this disappointing season, NOT Sark or Armstrong.

I believe we have some personnel issues when it comes to cornerback position. Alford and Trufant are at the peak of their careers and have been unimpressive, and they were drafted in 2013 when Mike Smith was still here. Maybe they don't belong in this system anymore. If I choose between the 2, I'd keep Alford over Trufant based on what I've seen from 2016-present, but some might disagree though. If it was up to me. I'd cut at least one of them, draft Deandre Baker from UGA and have Oliver develop and I bet them two would end up being WAY better corners for us in the long run. 

Here's another Quinn issue and NOT Manuel. We have size issues up the middle and keep getting run over by big physical lines and big backs. Multiple ESPN/NFL analysts and former players have said it. When it comes to the linebackers and D-linemen, I've only seen Grady Jarrett and Deion Jones (for the short time this season) perform at an exceptional level on a consistent basis. Takk McKinley has had a disappointing, sophomore slump season, but I believe he'll bounce back defensively next season like Hooper had to do this year on the offensive side. Vic Beasley must be cut, and if he stays, we better not overpay him. 

jazzyburrell likes this

He's not the solution so he's part of the problem.

Our defense was giving up 30 points a game in paets of the season. Even if he is just a figurehead DC he must go.

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

If you keep Manuel, you gotta keep Sark. Manuel had an issue making adjustments personnel wise until it was too late. His defense is a major reason for the season downfall

Same issues we had in 2015 and 2016 too, before he was promoted. Our high powered offense covered up the 2016 defense's mediocre play, and a high powered offense also forces other teams to play catch up the whole game and just throw the ball. I believe the defense is more of a Quinn issue than it being Manuel. 

Edited by mqg96

6 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

He's not the solution so he's part of the problem.

Our defense was giving up 30 points a game in paets of the season. Even if he is just a figurehead DC he must go.

In 2016 we gave up 31 to the Bucs. 28 to the Raiders. 32 to the Saints both time . 33 to the Panthers with Derek Anderson starting half of the game. 26 to the Seahawks. 33 to the Chargers. 32 to the Packers. Blew at 25 point lead and ended up giving up 34. Our defense in 2016 was giving up 30+ points a bunch of times too, but our high powered offense covered it up. In the Super Bowl era our defense allowed the 2nd most points all time of any Super Bowl representative with only the 2008 Cardinals giving up more points than us.

In 2015 we had a very easy schedule and played a lot of backups, and we still started 5-0 and crashed to 8-8. We we also last in the league in sacks too. In 2017 our defense was horrible in takeaways and bottom half in the league in yards per play, but they were still top 10 in scoring, and remains the best defensive statistically in the Quinn era, that was with Manuel as our coordinator and everyone healthy.

When we lost Poe & Clayborn and the injuries happened, that's when Manuel's defense crashed and burned. He's part of the problem but he's FAR from the reason why our defense has been mostly mediocre throughout the entire Quinn era. 

Sark, Armstrong, MM need to be fired asap. If they aren't then Quinn will be fired at the end of next season when we fail again.

Just now, MAD597 said:

Sark, Armstrong, MM need to be fired asap. If they aren't then Quinn will be fired at the end of next season when we fail again.

All 3 just got canned.

4 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

In 2016 we gave up 31 to the Bucs. 28 to the Raiders. 32 to the Saints both time . 33 to the Panthers with Derek Anderson starting half of the game. 26 to the Seahawks. 33 to the Chargers. 32 to the Packers. Blew at 25 point lead and ended up giving up 34. Our defense in 2016 was giving up 30+ points a bunch of times too, but our high powered offense covered it up. In the Super Bowl era our defense allowed the 2nd most points all time of any Super Bowl representative with only the 2008 Cardinals giving up more points than us.

In 2015 we had a very easy schedule and played a lot of backups, and we still started 5-0 and crashed to 8-8. We we also last in the league in sacks too. In 2017 our defense was horrible in takeaways and bottom half in the league in yards per play, but they were still top 10 in scoring, and remains the best defensive statistically in the Quinn era, that was with Manuel as our coordinator and everyone healthy.

When we lost Poe & Clayborn and the injuries happened, that's when Manuel's defense crashed and burned. He's part of the problem but he's FAR from the reason why our defense has been mostly mediocre throughout the entire Quinn era. 

2017: 19ppg and 320 ypg.  It’s all you need to say.  

Monolith2001 likes this

2 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

You should F5 the forum

18 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Same issues we had in 2015 and 2016 too, before he was promoted. Our high powered offense covered up the 2016 defense's mediocre play, and a high powered offense also forces other teams to play catch up the whole game and just throw the ball. I believe the defense is more of a Quinn issue than it being Manuel. 

He has the title so he deserves the blame. That's the treatment Sark gets so it's only fitting to do the same for Manuel

falconidae likes this

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

He has the title so he deserves the blame. That's the treatment Sark gets so it's only fitting to do the same for Manuel

Well, both of them are out so I guess it's a win win situation for us. I don't believe the defense is going to change at all lol. OC and special teams will have an overhaul tho. 

2 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Well, both of them are out so I guess it's a win win situation for us. I don't believe the defense is going to change at all lol. OC and special teams will have an overhaul tho. 

Only way I see Sark not being OC next season is if he gets a gig as a head coach in college. He isn't the bigger part of the issue

2 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

I think the defense will change with Quinn as the playcaller. They will be much more aggressive. 

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

29 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

2015 was Quinn's 1st season as HC.

The defense improved quite a bit after the bye in 2016. While it wasn't great, it did enough to help aid a great offense to reach the SB.

ZoneOne01 and mqg96 like this

8 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think the defense will change with Quinn as the playcaller. They will be much more aggressive. 

Unless my memory is worse than I think it is, as I remember the defense with him calling plays, it played very well while games were close and would absolutely bleed out garbage time points once they'd switch to zone/prevent defense. The last game of the season vs the Saints that year summed it up well and was a warning shot for that Super Bowl that I wish I could forget. Falcons played pretty well vs Drew Brees for much of the game and almost blew it in the 4th quarter after switching to that zone/prevent defense.

When Quinn takes over, I hope he learned his lessons from those games and doesn't go to zone/prevent until there's 5 minutes left.

3 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Unless my memory is worse than I think it is, as I remember the defense with him calling plays, it played very well while games were close and would absolutely bleed out garbage time points once they'd switch to zone/prevent defense. The last game of the season vs the Saints that year summed it up well and was a warning shot for that Super Bowl that I wish I could forget. Falcons played pretty well vs Drew Brees for much of the game and almost blew it in the 4th quarter after switching to that zone/prevent defense.

When Quinn takes over, I hope he learned his lessons from those games and doesn't go to zone/prevent until there's 5 minutes left.

Good point. But, I would argue that our offense isn't going to be like that again. We aren't going to have 24 point leads all the time anymore. 

47 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Do you remember when the defense played waaayy better in 2016 towards the end of the season? Yeah that’s DQ

2 minutes ago, Ryan2Julio11 said:

Do you remember when the defense played waaayy better in 2016 towards the end of the season? Yeah that’s DQ

3 of those final 4 games of the regular season were against the Rams, 49ers, and Panthers who had bottom tier offenses. We gave up 32 to a good Saints offense though, hmmm....

Against the Seahawks and Packers in the playoffs we gave up 20 and 21 with the pressure on their teams to keep up with our high powered offense, which they couldn't. We still got to the Super Bowl so I'd take that any day. 

6 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

3 of those final 4 games of the regular season were against the Rams, 49ers, and Panthers who had bottom tier offenses. We gave up 32 to a good Saints offense though, hmmm....

Against the Seahawks and Packers in the playoffs we gave up 20 and 21 with the pressure on their teams to keep up with our high powered offense, which they couldn't. We still got to the Super Bowl so I'd take that any day. 

We don’t make the super bowl if the defense didn’t improve. We were also starting 3 rookies on defense. Also do you remember how hot Green Bay was playing?

Edited by Ryan2Julio11

6 minutes ago, Ryan2Julio11 said:

We don’t make the super bowl if the defense didn’t improve. We were also starting 3 rookies on defense. Also do you remember how hot Green Bay was playing?

Our defense improved, but overall throughout the year our offense absolutely carried us. 

Francis York Morgan likes this

46 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I certainly hope so.  The soft defense had grown old...

3 minutes ago, TrapAHolic said:

Him calling 3 man rushes on 3rd and long and it failing every time told me all i need to know. 

Exactly what I have been saying for a long time.  MM was terrible...