slickgadawg

The Seahawks changed their defensive scheme. Quinn should consider changing his also.

35 posts in this topic

Even the team that crushed teams with the cover 3 over the last 7 years or so doesn't even run that basic scheme anymore.  You HAVE to have the right players to run that scheme.  They MUST be dominating.  The Seahawks don't have those players anymore so they brought in Ken Norton to run a scheme that FITS the personnel they have now.  Norton runs a modified 46 front with the Seahawks.   

You can't run a full 46 front with these spread offenses so Norton modified the front.  I particularly like his TIGHT THREE front where he imploys THREE defensive tackles.  The middle one is playing a 0 technique and the two flanking him play the 3 tech.  This enables the linebackers who normally play a 50 tech in this scheme to be freed up to have a straight shot at the blitz. With this scheme its almost impossible to combo block the defensive line in passing situations.  It creates one on one matchups across the board which frees up the Seahawks for linebacker blitzs.

A switch to a scheme like this would even benefit the Falcons because it would enable them to deploy Beasley full time at will alongside Campbell and Debo.

In this example the Seahawks move K.J. Wright out to the edge where he covers the back coming out of the backfield.  Clark drops back into zone coverage to pick up the hot read to the slot receiver and Rasheem Grant who is playing the 3 tech over the left guard slants into him at the snap which forces the left tackle to get involved and this frees up Wagner for a straight shot at the quarterback:

Edited by slickgadawg

5 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Where did you hear Seattle changed schemes? I haven't watched much Seahawks games this year but Pete has been running that scheme since he was at NE

Basic research and watching them play...  Carroll DID run something similar last year when he would bring linebacker Clark up into a 3 point stance on the defensive line.  He decided to employ these principles fulltime with Ken Norton's scheme...

Edited by slickgadawg

The Seahawks had a cake schedule this season. Approximately 10 opponents were below .500 this year. Until they make some noise in the playoffs I'm not impressed. I hope they beat the Cowboys.

4 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

The Seahawks had a cake schedule this season. Approximately 10 opponents were below .500 this year. Until they make some noise in the playoffs I'm not impressed. I hope they beat the Cowboys.

They will.

The Cowboys are the worst team in the playoffs. Dakk will make sure of it.

I don't see how you can just stay with an unchanging, unchangeable scheme without some regard to your players. Also your opponents can prepare for you because they know exactly what you're going to do. I would hope we are not so married to this soft scheme we can't put at least some aggressive teeth into it.

The basic fundamentals of the scheme are the same. It's still a heavy 4-3 Under zone scheme. The way they attack is changing. But let's not act like DQ didn't push more man coverage late in 2016. It's Manuel who is handicapped by the scheme and hoping it does the work for him.

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Where did you hear Seattle changed schemes? I haven't watched much Seahawks games this year but Pete has been running that scheme since he was at NE

I thought like you that Carroll has always integrated 34 and even bear fronts into his scheme

youngbloodz likes this

4 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

He has one of the highest Superbowl QBRs of all time.  Obvious troll is obvious.

Sadly obvious. 

Why would he bring up Ryan in a thread about the defense? No subtleness. 

Edited by Geneaut
Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

Basic research and watching them play...  Carroll DID run something similar last year when he would bring linebacker Clark up into a 3 point stance on the defensive line.  He decided to employ these principles fulltime with Ken Norton's scheme...

Oh ok thanks

2 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I thought like you that Carroll has always integrated 34 and even bear fronts into his scheme

He has. Staple of his defensive scheme. I haven't watched much Seahawks games this year that's why I was wondering 

Just now, youngbloodz said:

He has. Staple of his defensive scheme. I haven't watched much Seahawks games this year that's why I was wondering 

I’ve watched less this year than I usually do. The few that I watched I didn’t see any of the red Bryant big DE stuff but that’s been that way for a while. They look the same to me except in secondary. There’s no earl roaming way back in single high. 

youngbloodz likes this

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

I honestly hadn’t noticed. Thanks!

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

They didn’t switch up their scheme. From what I recall hearing they starting giving more two deep Safety looks. Compliment that with a relatively easy last 6 of 7 game schedule and they look better than they really are. No less than a month ago against the Panthers, their defensive pass rush was called into question.

Last 7 games they played were:

Packers

Panthers

49ers x 2

Vikings

Chiefs

Cardinals

Oddly enough they were able to beat the Chiefs but lost to the 49ers.

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
youngbloodz likes this

3 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I’ve watched less this year than I usually do. The few that I watched I didn’t see any of the red Bryant big DE stuff but that’s been that way for a while. They look the same to me except in secondary. There’s no earl roaming way back in single high. 

I forgot Earl isn't playing. Yeah that would make you change somewhat without him

49 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I don't see how you can just stay with an unchanging, unchangeable scheme without some regard to your players. Also your opponents can prepare for you because they know exactly what you're going to do. I would hope we are not so married to this soft scheme we can't put at least some aggressive teeth into it.

Creativity is the issue. Our base scheme isn’t a bad game plan, but when that scheme doesn’t work, you need someone that can start moving those pieces around to compensate. Manuel doesn’t have that ability. 

PokerSteve likes this

4 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

They didn’t switch up their scheme. From what I recall hearing they starting giving more two deep Safety looks. Compliment that with a relatively easy last 6 of 7 game schedule and they look better than they really are. No less than a month ago against the Panthers, their defensive pass rush was called into question.

Last 7 games they played were:

Packers

Panthers

49ers x 2

Vikings

Chiefs

Cardnials

Oddly enough they were able to beat the Chiefs but lost to the 49ers.

Ok cause that would have been a huge change for Pete. I think the Seahawks are the best chance to beat the Saints in New Orleans 

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Ok cause that would have been a huge change for Pete. I think the Seahawks are the best chance to beat the Saints in New Orleans 

It is. He doesn’t have Thomas anymore, so that scheme is basically neutered at this point.  This still roll it out there on occasion but not nearly at the same volume. They are probably the most balanced team in the playoffs, I wouldn’t say they have the best shot to beat NO. I think the Bears do actually. Trubisky has played a lot better in his last three games. He’s being more of a game manager than trying to make plays. They also have a pair of RBs that can grind their defense down. And their defense is absolutely killer. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
PokerSteve likes this

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

It is. He doesn’t have Thomas anymore, so that scheme is basically neutered at this point.  This still roll it out there on occasion but not nearly at the same volume. They are probably the most balanced team in the playoffs, I wouldn’t say they have the best shot to beat NO. I think the Bears do actually. Trubisky has played a lot better in his last three games. He’s being more of a game manager than trying to make plays. They also have a pair of RBs that can grind their defense down. 

I would say the Bears but I don't trust that offense. Especially if Anthony Miller is out for an extended period. 

7 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I would say the Bears but I don't trust that offense. Especially if Anthony Miller is out for an extended period. 

He has a dislocated shoulder. He won’t need surgery. He’s been good but I don’t think it should impact their offense much. Nagy knows how to adjust his offense. 

youngbloodz likes this

I don't see Quinn ever getting away from the basics of the Kiffin defensive scheme.  But I could see him running more cover 2 looks, etc., depending on how the thinks the personnel fits in.

What I wouldn't mind seeing at all is him turning the defense over to someone like Bowles, who is proven to be a fantastic coordinator.  I don't expect it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

10 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

He has a dislocated shoulder. He won’t need surgery. He’s been good but I don’t think it should impact their offense much. Nagy knows how to adjust his offense. 

I do love that defense though 

Sidecar Falcon likes this

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don't see Quinn ever getting away from the basics of the Kiffin defensive scheme.  But I could see him running more cover 2 looks, etc., depending on how the thinks the personnel fits in.

What I wouldn't mind seeing at all is him turning the defense over to someone like Bowles, who is proven to be a fantastic coordinator.  I don't expect it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

If we switched to a more cover 2 based scheme, I’m curious as if Neal’s game will have to change.