TheFalcoholic

Ridley’s Rookie Season

31 posts in this topic

God, I pray we get an offensi e coordinator who knows how to utilize the tremendous amount of weapons this offense is blessed with.  Not blaming Sark for everything, our OG problems were not his fault, but we need a guy who can play chess with the best defensive minds in the NFL so we don’t fal, apart in playoffs next year.

this team is stacked, just need some tweaks

3 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I'm worried about the drops, he dropped alot of catchible passes.. Here's to him improving during the off season 

Yep. He also ran the wrong route way too many times. Julio got him into him a few times over it. 

Still a good rookie season considering Julio, Sanu and Hooper take a ton of targets away from his chances.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Yep. He also ran the wrong route way too many times. Julio got him into him a few times over it. 

Still a good rookie season considering Julio, Sanu and Hooper take a ton of targets away from his chances.

How about Hooper, if he continues to progress we could really have a TE going forward 

Geneaut likes this

4 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I'm worried about the drops, he dropped alot of catchible passes.. Here's to him improving during the off season 

He was drafted with that knowledge. His performance was consistent with his college tape. Circus catches and inexplicable drops in equal quantities. It is probably a focus issue, but I suppose it could be technique. I think he is able to focus completely on routes. He may run the wrong option occasionally, but he runs that wrong option very precisely. I almost wonder if its a multi-tasking issue. Is he still thinking routes after the QB releases the ball. Maybe he's already made the catch in his head and is plotting his path to the endzone?

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

7 minutes ago, gazoo said:

God, I pray we get an offensi e coordinator who knows how to utilize the tremendous amount of weapons this offense is blessed with.  Not blaming Sark for everything, our OG problems were not his fault, but we need a guy who can play chess with the best defensive minds in the NFL so we don’t fal, apart in playoffs next year.

I think one of Sark's real strengths this season was scheming specifically for Ridley. He was able to consistently get him in match ups where literally all he needed to do was win 1-on-1 and make the catch. I expected a lot of Ridley, and he blew way past my lofty expectations. People underestimate the jump from college to pro. The change in game speed is more than some guys every overcome. Even if you play at Alabama, 80% of the DBs you face in your college career aren't going anywhere near an NFL field. To get 10 TDs and 800 yards out of a guy drafted deep in the first round is a great accomplishment. I think Sark had a lot to do with it. If you look back at the first few games of the 2017 season, you see Sark trying to using Gabriel in the way he was actually able to use Ridley in 2018. The difference was Ridley had the route skills and talent to beat almost anyone man on man in space. He didn't have to get them into a foot race. 

Think about other Falcons 1st round WRs. Roddy White?  Michael Jenkins? They were not terrible, but they certainly didn't come out of the gates their rookie year like Ridley. I think they were both into year 4 before they got their 10th TD. Now, in all fairness, they didn't have Ryan as QB and that does make a huge difference. Vick wasn't looking to maximize his receiving threats. Going back a little further, Pritchard was solid as a rookie, and had similar yardage (over 600 yards) to Ridley. He didn't hit the 10 TD mark as a pro until his 3rd season (a break out year in which he had 7 TDs). 

So, I'm indifferent on Sark. I want to see who they want, and then compare. But, he has demonstrated an understanding of individual skill sets and how to use them. He's not as great a liability as many want to make him out to be. I've seen worse. 

KCFalcon22 and quickzero like this

35 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Calvin Ridley had a pretty good rookie year.

Looking forward to seeing him in his sophomore season after a full offseason with Matt & plenty of time to study the playbook.

64 Catches, 821 yards & 10 TD’s  

Better than DJ Moore picked 2 slots ahead of him by the Panthers.  Oh and he only had 2 TD's to Ridley's 10 TDs

papachaz likes this

32 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Sark looked bad against tough defenses where he was outmatched.  

gazoo and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Sark looked bad against tough defenses where he was outmatched.  

It's not going to do any good, posters here are under the belief we balled out these last 3 games.. But in reality we played teams that wanted to lose... If we had played playoff caliber teams these games we would have been destroyed.. Just the way it is.. 

Club212 likes this

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

He was drafted with that knowledge. His performance was consistent with his college tape. Circus catches and inexplicable drops in equal quantities. It is probably a focus issue, but I suppose it could be technique. I think he is able to focus completely on routes. He may run the wrong option occasionally, but he runs that wrong option very precisely. I almost wonder if its a multi-tasking issue. Is he still thinking routes after the QB releases the ball. Maybe he's already made the catch in his head and is plotting his path to the endzone?

I think they were saying he learned every route for each play. May have just over loaded himself no biggie. Great rookie season.

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

I think one of Sark's real strengths this season was scheming specifically for Ridley. He was able to consistently get him in match ups where literally all he needed to do was win 1-on-1 and make the catch. I expected a lot of Ridley, and he blew way past my....

Ridley blew past my expectations as well, but I can't credit Sark for getting him in favorable matchups where all he needed to do was win 1 on 1.

He was the #3 receiver on a team with Julio Jones. He was never ever under any circumstances going to see a lot of double teaming come his way. Sark didn't scheme him to winnable 1 on 1 matchups.

falconfreek123 likes this

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

The only knock I can really find on Ridley is this guy doesn’t like contact.He needs to get stronger up top.Good rookie season though.

Rams won a super bowl with multiple receivers that didn’t like contact. Emmitt Smith avoided contact. If you can avoid it, why not

J-Nice likes this

I don't have an issue with the drops. We knew coming in that his hands weren't superb, same as Julio. Catching can only improve, won't get much worse. I don't even have an issue with the bad routes. There weren't that many and he made up for them. I still feel that guys like him need to be involved early to gain some type of rhythm and build from that early momentum throughout the game. Far too many times was he and Sanu not targeted much until the second half. The Steelers game julio had 11 targets going into halftime while Sanu and Ridley combined for 3 targets. I love Julio but the other guys have to get in a groove as well. Ridley will only get better. Hope they keep the trio intact

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

The only knock I can really find on Ridley is this guy doesn’t like contact.He needs to get stronger up top.Good rookie season though.

I normally would agree but Ridley is not big enough to be absorbing a lot of contact.  His agility and elusiveness easily compensates for the lack of toughness imo.  He could use a class in attacking the football...something Sanu, Julio and Hardy are fantastic at.

ya_boi_j, Drew4719 and Geneaut like this

31 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I normally would agree but Ridley is not big enough to be absorbing a lot of contact.  His agility and elusiveness easily compensates for the lack of toughness imo.  He could use a class in attacking the football...something Sanu, Julio and Hardy are fantastic at.

I agree.  We don't need him looking/liking contact.  He is slight of build, and we don't need him getting hurt.  Overall, he had a great rookie season, and I am glad Dimi drafted him. Looks like a steal...

Geneaut and Monolith2001 like this

8 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Ridley blew past my expectations as well, but I can't credit Sark for getting him in favorable matchups where all he needed to do was win 1 on 1.

He was the #3 receiver on a team with Julio Jones. He was never ever under any circumstances going to see a lot of double teaming come his way. Sark didn't scheme him to winnable 1 on 1 matchups.

Go watch the tape. That is all I can say. Julio has been on this team for a long time and other OCs have consistently gotten far less production from the #3 WR (assuming you are correct that he is #3). 

20 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Go watch the tape. That is all I can say. Julio has been on this team for a long time and other OCs have consistently gotten far less production from the #3 WR (assuming you are correct that he is #3). 

Not to be argumentative about it, but Sark failed miserably doing anything with Gabriel at the #3 slot, and Julio's length of time here is irrelevant. 

Ridley's production is because he is better all around than Gabriel and he didn't have to face double teams. It's his own ability and Julio drawing the double teams more-so than anything to do with Sark.

I think the dropping issue should be solved as he continues to grow as a player. Roddy and Julio had the same issues their early years, though Julio fixed it quicker than Roddy did.