Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falconfanEST1989

If 16th who do you draft??

34 posts in this topic

A lot of folks are saying there is 8, 1st rnd DT in next years draft..   wondering do you draft the 6th best DT over the #1 guard, olb,safety  TE,or even #2 tackle, CB ..    is 16th pick a BPA pick.. thoughts!!

Sidecar Falcon likes this

If we pick 16, then go BPA first round regardless of position. Hoping that Greedy or White falls. Draft a 2nd tier DL prospect in the 2nd Round, and sign Danny Shelton. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
falconfanEST1989 likes this

Without knowing how FA goes, there are 6 DT's I would take first round (Q Williams, Oliver, Simmons, Gary, Lawrence, and Wilkins), if none are available at our spot I would go the next position of need and look at D Brown or  R Davis in the 2nd. Wouldn't be surprised to see us trade up to get the DT we want either. We gotta plug the interior of the defensive line. With the coaching staff and FO knowing they are on the hot seat maybe they will be aggressive.

falconfanEST1989 likes this

16 minutes ago, falconfanEST1989 said:

A lot of folks are saying there is 8, 1st rnd DT in next years draft..   wondering do you draft the 6th best DT over the #1 guard, olb,safety  TE,or even #2 tackle, CB ..    is 16th pick a BPA pick.. thoughts!!

This. There are a plethora of 2nd tier DL prospects in this draft. We can get one in the 2nd Round. Don’t pass up on game changers like White/Thompson. 

we will still have a good shot of a top DL in the 14 to 17 spot - if thats the way we go - if not - then may want to trade back if we can find a partner - which is almost never.

Unless someone of significance drops on the DL, I think that we're best served trading down.  For the love of god, don't let us draft a WR or CB with our 1st.  Ideally, if we can't get a stud DT, we trade down in the 1st, and pick up another 2nd.  With a late first and a pair of 2nd's, we should be able to really improve in the areas that we need to improve.

I'm also not seeing any love for the OL.  It's a freaking huge need.  Our starters are mediocre, and our depth is trash.  We need OL in a big way, especially youth.  I am aware of TD's track record drafting linemen, but that's not an excuse for not getting better at it.  We need our OL to be good, and we can't afford to pay every top FA OL that comes along.   Our 2nd should be used for OL.  There are several worthy guards that should be available at our pick in the 2nd.

gtech1 likes this

11 minutes ago, robertap said:

Unless someone of significance drops on the DL, I think that we're best served trading down.  For the love of god, don't let us draft a WR or CB with our 1st.  Ideally, if we can't get a stud DT, we trade down in the 1st, and pick up another 2nd.  With a late first and a pair of 2nd's, we should be able to really improve in the areas that we need to improve.

I'm also not seeing any love for the OL.  It's a freaking huge need.  Our starters are mediocre, and our depth is trash.  We need OL in a big way, especially youth.  I am aware of TD's track record drafting linemen, but that's not an excuse for not getting better at it.  We need our OL to be good, and we can't afford to pay every top FA OL that comes along.   Our 2nd should be used for OL.  There are several worthy guards that should be available at our pick in the 2nd.

Definitely not opposed to trading down. Unfortunately I think we’ve landed in a bad draft position where It’ll be hard to trade down, I could be wrong though.

OL should be addressed via FA. This year’s OL draft class is really weak. If it were me, I would address OL in FA, sign Danny Shelton, BPA 1st Round regardless of position, and then draft one of the remaining 2nd tier DL prospects. 

18 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Definitely not opposed to trading down. Unfortunately I think we’ve landed in a bad draft position where It’ll be hard to trade down, I could be wrong though.

OL should be addressed via FA. This year’s OL draft class is really weak. If it were me, I would address OL in FA, sign Danny Shelton, BPA 1st Round regardless of position, and then draft one of the remaining 2nd tier DL prospects. 

This is why our OL is where it is.  We do not draft young OL talent, instead, we pay big money for other teams' castoffs.  Teams do not let good offensive linemen walk away.

Mack was a different story, we actually traded to get him.  If we want to trade draft picks to acquire proven young OL, that's fine.  But if we're grabbing the top-dollar scraps in free agency, we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

No, we need to spend some draft picks on top OL talent and develop it.  Our OL draft strategy under TD has been to grab late round talent and try to develop it.  That's simply not working for us.  We need to start with better talent.  We're talking about protecting our 30 million/year QB.  Don't do it with UDFA's and castoffs from other teams.

24 minutes ago, robertap said:

This is why our OL is where it is.  We do not draft young OL talent, instead, we pay big money for other teams' castoffs.  Teams do not let good offensive linemen walk away.

Mack was a different story, we actually traded to get him.  If we want to trade draft picks to acquire proven young OL, that's fine.  But if we're grabbing the top-dollar scraps in free agency, we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

No, we need to spend some draft picks on top OL talent and develop it.  Our OL draft strategy under TD has been to grab late round talent and try to develop it.  That's simply not working for us.  We need to start with better talent.  We're talking about protecting our 30 million/year QB.  Don't do it with UDFA's and castoffs from other teams.

I’m assuming by your response that you don’t know which OL may be in FA. I’ll fill you in:

Roger Saffold

Bobby Massie

Ramon Foster

Quinton Spain

Daryl Williams

These guys aren’t exactly “scraps” or “castoffs”, to say so, is incredibly inaccurate. If it were any other year, I’d be on board with drafting an OL prospect, however this is a bad year for that positional group in the draft. Jonah Williams is widely considered to be the best OL prospect this draft. He is predicted to be a top 10 pick. In any other draft class he would be a late 1st Round pick. There’s also Greg Little who is a fringe 1st Round pick, and Cody Ford who is considered a 2nd Round Pick.

So banking on a rookie prospect of a weak draft class to protect our “30 Million QB” seems a lot riskier in my book. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
Embrace the suck likes this

28 minutes ago, robertap said:

We didn’t trade for Mack.

Before seeing FA unfold:

1st BPA remaining on D; preferably at position of need but not necessarily (see FA note)

2nd Cody Ford or best OG available; fix OL

3rd BPA on D at position of need; front 7 help

4th RB or TE (RB situation is a ? As is depth at TE)

5th BPA for depth need or player to develop 

6th another OL to develop 

etc

4 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Before seeing FA unfold:

1st BPA remaining on D; preferably at position of need but not necessarily (see FA note)

2nd Cody Ford or best OG available; fix OL

3rd BPA on D at position of need; front 7 help

4th RB or TE (RB situation is a ? As is depth at TE)

5th BPA for depth need or player to develop 

6th another OL to develop 

etc

I could live with this. He’ll probably go in the 3rd but take a look at LJ Scott. Would love to grab him in the 4th. 

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

If we pick 16, then go BPA first round regardless of position. Hoping that Greedy or White falls. Draft a 2nd tier DL prospect in the 2nd Round, and sign Danny Shelton. 

Nope, you gotta go for the best DT or Guard still on the board, anything else is throwing a pick away

Just now, MAD597 said:

Nope, you gotta go for the best DT or Guard still on the board, anything else is throwing a pick away

Depending who is in the board you could easily be throwing the pick away forcing a DT or OG as well.

Just now, 1989Fan said:

Depending who is in the board you could easily be throwing the pick away forcing a DT or OG as well.

As long as they are 1st round or early 2nd round talent they will serve what this team needs more than another WR

Just now, MAD597 said:

I disagree. Reaching for a 2nd Round prospect with a mid 1st Round pick would be a huge waste. Especially since the drop off, between the 2nd tier DL prospects, is minimal at this point.