Ergo Proxy

The Beauty in Winning Today

97 posts in this topic

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Not with this team... other than maybe 2 seasons.

Unless you count where they blew out the entire staff and half the roster...

The best season we've had in this franchises history was after we finished the season like 2-9. 

4 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I totally agree. The tankers will point out the draft position changes and that fact that we now play a 2nd place schedule instead of the 4th place schedule.  Both of those arguments are logical fallacies to me. You can't assume a better draft pick = better draft outcome.  There are many variables the best drafts always come down to how well available players at any particular pick meet a team's needs. As far as the 4th place schedule or second place schedule...that is based on past performance and the rosters will be different next season. 

Yep. A partial distinction is not a whole truth. Just a whole lie. 

I half way understand the ones that wanted us to lose this game but even if we lost we weren't getting that much of a lower pick for one of the top d line players. 

On the other side of the coin, the way the offense in particular played the second half they wanted to win and were determined to. I think the team needed this win.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Just now, thirdnlong said:

No

Exactly. All these people claiming draft positon doesn't matter curiously omit that in 2014 we missed out on Khalil Mack and DeMarcus Lewrance (both players we were targeting) because of two meaingless wins aginst Washington and Buffalo. 

What do you think was more beneficial for this franchise. Those two wins, Matthews + Hageman or Two of the NFLs premier pass rushers? 

1 minute ago, Bobby.Digital said:

The best season we've had in this franchises history was after we finished the season like 2-9. 

See 1997 season win streak helped 1998. It was a better season than 2016. What you smoking?

It can matter. I’ll get behind culture improvement before banking on my exact spot.

Nothing is guaranteed but culture is essential.

Vandy likes this

13 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

You can get behind a win; when it’s your team that wins.

Believe in winning.

I don’t need to feel better over a a few draft spots. Win with good picks; not just position. We gonna get good players this offseason and we won out the season. That matters to team culture; in your house, and moving forward.

I have to agree!

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

See 1997 season win streak helped 1998. It was a better season than 2016. What you smoking?

It can matter. I’ll get behind culture improvement before banking on my exact spot.

I have to agree that's the problem with our organization our culture has never changed

2 minutes ago, mikeg272 said:

I half way understand the ones that wanted us to lose this game but even if we lost we weren't getting that much of a lower pick for one of the top d line players. 

On the other side of the coin, the way the offense in particular played the second half they wanted to win and were determined to. I think the team needed this win.

Imagine next year might go wrong but you have a rookie balling. Then, ask him to tank and get a couple spots earlier; hey maybe even 10 spots higher!

Locker room culture and leadership matters. We have nailed on lower first round picks with Quinn.

And let’s ignore FA as a big factor at changing what we might go for on draft day? C’mon.

mikeg272 likes this

9 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

I’m glad we won this game. if the falcons had ended the season with that pathetic showing in the first half, I wouldn’t feel as good about next year, thankfully we never quit.

amen. and this win was very impressive because we overcame a large deficit and some horrible one sided officiating. refs were also directly responsible for the big momentum in the second half.

Drew4719, Ergo Proxy and Geneaut like this

5 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Depends how you look at it. 2016 we had a 25 point lead in the Superbowl. 1998 we didn't even make the game close. So I look at the 16 season as our best. 

I want to make one thing clear. I'm in no way wanting or thinking the players will throw a game to help our draft positon. 

I do think however a loss will be better for this franchise as going foward since drafting higher gives you a better shot at landing your players.  

Also I've asked multiple times but have yet to be given the data. Do you have proof that winning some meaningless games at the end of the year actually help you the next season? I keep seeing this mentioned but with zero proof.

Surely if winning meaningles had any bearing you wouldnt see multiple teams benching their stars today. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes and no.

Ive seen plenty of Falcons teams go on a ‘streak’ at the end of a season and not continue that trend the next season.

Mora.... Reeves.... Smitty.... 

Ive only seen the Falcons turn a lost season win streak into something special a handful of times.  97 is the only one I can really remember.   Maybe 01.  And that was the same Coach.

2011 was a playoff season.

2015 lost to the Saints

I don’t know if you can talk about end of season momentum when they blowout the head coach and entire staff.

I dont think Quinn is going anywhere this season

8 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

And they lost that final game to the Saints...

1 minute ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Also I've asked multiple times but have yet to be given the data. Do you have proof that winning some meaningless games at the end of the year actually help you the next season? Surely if this had any bearing you wouldnt see multiple teams benching their stars today. 

Risk/benefit ratio....you risk a starting QB and our important pieces when your playoff position is locked?

8 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Depends how you look at it. 2016 we had a 25 point lead in the Superbowl. 1998 we didn't even make the game close. So I look at the 16 season as our best. 

I want to make one thing clear. I'm in no way wanting or thinking the players will throw a game to help our draft positon. 

I do think however a loss will be better for this franchise as going foward since drafting higher gives you a better shot at landing your players.  

Also I've asked multiple times but have yet to be given the data. Do you have proof that winning some meaningless games at the end of the year actually help you the next season? I keep seeing this mentioned but with zero proof.

Surely if winning meaningles had any bearing you wouldnt see multiple teams benching their stars today. 

It was probably more relavent before free agency where rosters didn’t change that much in the offseason.

Now I think it’s just a wives tale.

Heres a good one.  Does anyone ever mention this at the college level?

18 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Any proof of this actually being true? I've herd in mentioned alot here. 

Dan Reeves first season. Finished At 8-8 I think it was an the next year 14-2. It was obvious the winning was an attitude carryover. 

6 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

Risk/benefit ratio....you risk a starting QB and our important pieces when your playoff position is locked?

Im talking about teams out of playoff contention.

12 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Imagine next year might go wrong but you have a rookie balling. Then, ask him to tank and get a couple spots earlier; hey maybe even 10 spots higher!

Locker room culture and leadership matters. We have nailed on lower first round picks with Quinn.

And let’s ignore FA as a big factor at changing what we might go for on draft day? C’mon.

Oh I dont disagree at all with you. I may half understand but I'm not in that boat with them

Ergo Proxy likes this

4 minutes ago, dothan_birdman said:

Dan Reeves first season. Finished At 8-8 I think it was an the next year 14-2. It was obvious the winning was an attitude carryover. 

That team went 6-2 in its final 8 games.  Also lost the final game of the season (7-9 btw)

This one went 3-5.

4 minutes ago, dothan_birdman said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation. You need a way bigger sample size to draw a conclusion that winning games at the end of the season directly affects next seasons results. 

32 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

It never hurts to end the season on a win streak.  That really does carry over to the attitude in the offseason and the confidence going in to next year.

So you have been in an NFL locker room ?

35 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

History proves this. It also proves picks matter more than the spot they are picked.

History doesn't prove that winning or losing the last game of the season has any correlation the next seasons failure or success lmao, you're just talking out of your ***. 

Let's take a look at who won and lost in week 17 last year, and see how it correlates to the 2018 season. http://www.espn.com/nfl/schedule/_/year/2017 

Alright the Lions won last year, but wow they're a bottom 10 team this season what amazing correlation, the browns won and they've been a middle of the pack team this year is that correlating? Actually the Cardinals won their last game in 2017, and they are the worst team in the NFL, wow guess that really carried over for them going into 2018. The Bucs beat the Saints in their last game and they ended up as a bottom 10 team, while vice versa the Saints became the number 1 seed in the NFC. Looks like history really does show that winning or losing those week 17 games really carries on into the next season doesn't it?

Stop spitting out this idiotic rhetoric it literally has zero correlation to how well or how bad a team does in the next season. 

Edited by TheHeartless
Sun Tzu 7 and Bobby.Digital like this

3 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation. You need a way bigger sample size to draw a conclusion that winning games at the end of the season directly affects next seasons results. 

I hate when folks make a Linear argument in a Non Linear situation. In No WAY has 2 + 2 equaled 4 in professional Sports! 

It's all about making the most of your opportunity, period.