Falconsfan567

Mark Richt Retiring

111 posts in this topic

58 is rather young to retire. Wonder what he's gonna do next.

Amongst many who'd do anything to win (i.e. Freeze), fire anyone to keep his job (i.e. Malzahn), or jeopardize the longevity of a program for immediate success (i.e. Meyer)... CMR is a man of rare, uncompromised integrity even in today's coaching climate.

He'll always have my utmost respect for being the man that he is and for what he did for Georgia.

I sincerely hope we haven't seen the last of him. CMR for UGA AD!

TheTrue7, joefalco, 95Dawg and 2 others like this

44 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I think Richt realized the game just passed him by. He did a lot of great things as a HC but he was unwilling to evolve with the game. He made the right decision IMO.

Richt didn’t want to work/recruit as hard as Nick/Kirby/Urban.

Just not gonna Win at highest level without an Alpha-Dog coach.

youngbloodz likes this

32 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Richt didn’t want to work/recruit as hard as Nick/Kirby/Urban.

Just not gonna Win at highest level without an Alpha-Dog coach.

What makes you think that CMR didn't want to work or recruit as hard as others? That's just a ridiculous statement.

datboilando likes this

4 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

What makes you think that CMR didn't want to work or recruit as hard as others? That's just a ridiculous statement.

I think he means Richt isn't a recruit at all cost type of man. He wont negative recruit. He wont put down another coach like Urban use to. 

4 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Not at all.  You can't sit there and tell me that Richt ever was as relentless in recruiting as Kirby.  It isn't even close.  Couple that with Kirby building his staff with others who are of the same mindset and you see why everyone is so excited.

Tons of respect for Richt but I really don’t want him to be our AD at UGA. He’s too loyal. Normally that means a lot to me but an AD has to be able to objectively evaluate coaches and get what he wants from boosters. I love the guy but he proved he can do neither one of those things reliably before he left Athens.

I would be ALL for him returning in a counseling/mentoring capacity though.

Really really wanted to see him get that natty at UGA. Came so close a few times. Hate to see his career come to an end the way it has. I wish him nothing but the best.

43 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

He scheduled elective surgery right before signing day once didn’t he? I mean we had good classes with him but it sure seemed like we NEVER closed strong. We were more often than not the team losing out on those signing day battles against Bama, Auburn, FSU, etc.

95Dawg and Porter Osborne Jr like this

Miami AD said he was stunned. It wasn't a forced out issue, Miami fully expected another season of Richt.

As far as what's next, I dont see Richt coming back for some Power 5 job. He could but I think if he pops back up it may be on the FCS level at a Christian school or something. He could still coach but the pressure would be a lot less and recruiting is easier compared to Power 5.

James is lying. I have a very good source that said Richt had to fire everyone on the offensive staff including his son. Also was told the board told James either demand drastic changes to the offense or we will fire you

VA F.O. likes this

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Tons of respect for Richt but I really don’t want him to be our AD at UGA. He’s too loyal. Normally that means a lot to me but an AD has to be able to objectively evaluate coaches and get what he wants from boosters. I love the guy but he proved he can do neither one of those things reliably before he left Athens.

I would be ALL for him returning in a counseling/mentoring capacity though.

Really really wanted to see him get that natty at UGA. Came so close a few times. Hate to see his career come to an end the way it has. I wish him nothing but the best.

Disagree. He has first-hand knowledge of the constraints that had plagued the football program. CMR is the reason we finally got an IPF and now Kirby is the beneficiary of those efforts. And if someone is willing to spend $1M of his own money on an IPF (in Miami), that tells me all I need to know about his commitment and dedication to the football program. I have no doubt he'd implement a kick-*** counseling and mentorship program as well, as he's made it well-known that he actually cares for the welfare of his student-athletes.

2 hours ago, Carter said:

He scheduled elective surgery right before signing day once didn’t he? I mean we had good classes with him but it sure seemed like we NEVER closed strong. We were more often than not the team losing out on those signing day battles against Bama, Auburn, FSU, etc.

Are you referring to the hip surgery he had a few years back? From what I remember, he wanted to hold off until after NSD, but the pain said NO. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the year we landed Chubb and Michel.

I agree that we rarely closed strong with CMR, and often times, I'd be just as frustrated as the rest of y'all, but for people to say that CMR didn't WANT to work/recruit as hard as his competitors is both spurious and unfair. Sure, CMR's approach could've used more tenacity, but that wasn't his style. He certainly worked his *** off both on and off the field and he wanted to win just as bad as anyone else. The amount of hair he had when he started as opposed to when he left is proof.

datboilando likes this

For anyone wanting Richt back here in some capacity, that's a big NO for me. Thanks, but no thanks. Others have already said most of what I would say about that, so forgive me for being lazy and just copy+pasting from another forum:

-- Could you really see Richt as an AD? Pushing for funds behind closed doors? Being aggressive and occasionally abrasive if and when funds get tight? Hard pass for me on that. He needs to stay down here, enjoy Boca, do back flips off slides, and go sport fishing off the coast. Please no AD here.

-- I agree DGD, appears to be a great man. I disagree with bringing him back at all especially if involved with the team as his philosophy on handling conflict appears to be vastly different from Kirby. If Richt were the coach, it’s a certainty Ledbetter and Patrick aren’t on the team this year. I’m not sure such a revered individual can be under the same roof with the new sheriff; the town simply isn’t big enough for the both of them.

-- Let me preface this by saying that I fully appreciate the job that MR did at UGA. He did a good job for the program and we wouldn’t be where we are today without him. His philanthropic endeavors like the Paul Oliver network and his mission work are very admirable and he overall seems to be a very good person. So now that that’s out of the way, I truly have to ask what the **** some of y’all are smoking???? It’s not my intention to kick a guy while he’s down and I’m not trying to disparage MR but it’s one thing to have fond memories of him and wish him the best, and a whole other to immediately want to bring him back in some capacity.

Could someone please explain to me the thinking behind the “MR is such an amazing guy that every young man who ever came in contact with him was changed and so we must have him back in some capacity” narrative? Yeah, as stated above he’s a good guy with many positive qualities, but it’s not like he never had players get in trouble.

The “I like playing UGA early because they always have tons of players suspended” meme came about under MR. Not every player that MR recruited was an angel and frankly some of his best recruiting years were disappointments because of the character of some of the guys he brought in(Crowell, JHC, and the like) or that he didn’t run a strict enough program to keep the high profile guys in line.

He also was for the most part very milquetoast when it came to administrative stuff so we definitely don’t need him as an AD. Mcgarity is essentially a stuffed shirt who’s at the mercy of the money people, so him combined with MR’s tendency to just accept things, directly led to UGA getting bent over by the NCAA and SEC numerous times. Do you really think that Kirby would have just sat back and accepted the Gurley suspension? At around the same time we were telling the NCAA “thank you sir, may I have another?” for suspending one of our best players ever for selling merch, other schools were fighting and getting much lesser punishments for far worse stuff.

Some of y’all need to stop acting like MR is the one who got away. Wish him the best if you like but move on. You wouldn’t hire an ex gf to be the nanny for your kids so why would you want to bring back a coach you let go to be an administrator? Have the warm and fuzzies for the guy and even use him as an example for your kids, but don’t assume that Georgia would want him back, he would even want to come back, or that it would be good for either side. I promise you that you aren’t hurting MRs feelings by taking a “Thanks for the memories, I truly wish you the best, just not with me” stance. If he’s up for it bring him back for remembering teams he coached, or even name a support building after him..but mostly: Move on!!!!

Oh gawd, this would be terrible for Miami, LOL. 

However, this would probably be best case scenario for them:

The most logical candidate may be standing right there in plain sight — literally. While Miami’s offense crumbled under Richt’s watch, the 2018 Hurricanes were carried by Manny Diaz‘s defense, which ranked fifth in total defense. That performance led him to take the Temple job, but Diaz was spotted on Miami’s campus today. In something that could mean nothing or could mean everything: during his press conference discussing the search on Sunday, Miami AD Blake James spoke freely in response to many questions but no-commented when asked about Diaz.

In addition to serving as Miami’s defensive coordinator through their most recent game, it’s easy to see why Diaz would covet the Miami job. He’s not just a Miami native, he’s the son of a former Miami mayor. What better story could you write than the heir of one of Miami’s political leaders becoming one of Miami’s most important cultural leaders?

Best case scenario is Dino Babers or Matt Campbell. I'm just happy our lame duck AD doesn't get final say. Manny Diaz isn't an ace recruiter. I heard from my source Mario Cristobal called today and said he was interested. Rumor is Butch Davis was contacted. Manny Diaz also said he was interested. 

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

10 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Best case scenario is Dino Babers or Matt Campbell. I'm just happy our lame duck AD doesn't get final say. Manny Diaz isn't an ace recruiter. I heard from my source Mario Cristobal called today and said he was interested. Rumor is Butch Davis was contacted. Manny Diaz also said he was interested. 

I read that Cristobal has a $10M buyout though. Not sure how much that might affect things. 

3 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I wouldn't want Manny or Butch.  Cristobal, with hisr recruiting ties, could be interesting.

Thank you. Nobody I talked to wants Manny, although he has a lot of support from inside Miami. Almost every freaking alum or former player wants Butch. This isn't 2000 anymore smh. Mario is interesting. But I feel they will mess it up. 

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I read that Cristobal has a $10M buyout though. Not sure how much that might affect things. 

He does. Drops to $8 mil January 1st. That's a lot. But Richt didn't take a severance. I know Matt Campbell has about a $7 mil buyout. Not sure about Dino Babers since Syracuse is a private university 

Just now, youngbloodz said:

He does. Drops to $8 mil January 1st. That's a lot. But Richt didn't take a severance. I know Matt Campbell has about a $7 mil buyout. Not sure about Dino Babers since Syracuse is a private university 

January 31st I read. 

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Thank you. Nobody I talked to wants Manny, although he has a lot of support from inside Miami. Almost every freaking alum or former player wants Butch. This isn't 2000 anymore smh. Mario is interesting. But I feel they will mess it up. 

They might as well throw Jimmy Johnson's name out there too.

Edited by Turkeydawg
youngbloodz likes this

5 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

They might as well throw Jimmy Johnson's name out there too.

You say that with sarcasm but no bs some fans want JJ back lol. 

8 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

January 31st I read. 

I read the 1st. I could be wrong. But i just don't know if they will pay that. I just want a OL and DL coach from Bama,UGA,Clemson lol. Dont care if it's a freaking grad assistant