Falconsfan567

Mark Richt Retiring

112 posts in this topic

Wow didn't see that coming this quickly. Must have been a lot of pressure from the admin and boosters. 

Best wishes to him in retirement. He'll enjoy it. 

datboilando likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Wow didn't see that coming this quickly. Must have been a lot of pressure from the admin and boosters. 

Best wishes to him in retirement. He'll enjoy it. 

If he was allowed to stay I bet they would have required Richt fire his son as QB coach.

Richt said “F that” :tiphat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

If he was allowed to stay I bet they would have required Richt fire his son as QB coach.

Richt said “F that” :tiphat:

That's basically what I think is going on. Richt's loyalty to staff and unwillingness to conform on that front are greater than his desire to coach. 

He was never the guy to bring Miami another NC but I thought he'd get the program ready for the next guy. I'm not sure the program is in better shape than when he got there

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

That's basically what I think is going on. Richt's loyalty to staff and unwillingness to conform on that front are greater than his desire to coach. 

He was never the guy to bring Miami another NC but I thought he'd get the program ready for the next guy. I'm not sure the program is in better shape than when he got there

Same here. I thought he'd set the stage for the next guy, but yeah it's hard to say if they're even better now than they were 3 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Brent Venables would be my choice. Miami fans are screaming for Butch Davis smh. They can't let go of the past

It doesn't seem like Venables wants to be a HC.  He is in a great spot and doesn't have to worry about job security.  Some folks are better coordinators and don't aspire to move up any higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

It doesn't seem like Venables wants to be a HC.  He is in a great spot and doesn't have to worry about job security.  Some folks are better coordinators and don't aspire to move up any higher.

That may be the case. I would still reach out. Dan Enos would be on my list too

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I think Cristobal would be a force to be reckoned with down there

Cant see him leaving Oregon yet. But Cristobal has a great reputation with south Florida high school coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could tell the fire in him was gone.  He left the real Mark Richt back in Athens.  His firing affected him more than he let on.  More than anything he wanted to bring a championship to Georgia. I could tell he wasn't happy everytime I tuned into  Miami Hurricane game...

 

Image result for mark richt hurricanes

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Unkn0wn said:

I think Richt realized the game just passed him by. He did a lot of great things as a HC but he was unwilling to evolve with the game. He made the right decision IMO.

I wish he had been able to do better and go out on a high note.  Will always respect Richt as a person and for his time spent in Athens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to consider, he was under pressure to change his staff. Biggest target of that was QB coach Jon Richt. Mark may have decided to retire rather than fire his own son.

VA F.O. likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Brent Venables would be my choice. Miami fans are screaming for Butch Davis smh. They can't let go of the past

I thought Butch Davis should have gotten the job many years ago after Larry Coker was fired. But I agree with you on this, Brent Venables would be a great hire.

youngbloodz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I thought Butch Davis should have gotten the job many years ago after Larry Coker was fired. But I agree with you on this, Brent Venables would be a great hire.

There is still some bad blood between boosters and Butch with the way he left and took the Browns job after the 2000 season

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

One thing to consider, he was under pressure to change his staff. Biggest target of that was QB coach Jon Richt. Mark may have decided to retire rather than fire his own son.

He’s definitely one to fall on his own sword. Wish him and his family the best.

youngbloodz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now