Report: Falcons remain likely to part ways with Marquand Manuel, Steve Sarkisian

Goober Pyle

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/12/30/18160945/report-falcons-remain-likely-to-part-ways-with-marquand-manuel-steve-sarkisian

The speculation about Steve Sarkisian getting the axe this offseason has been ongoing for many weeks now, and that’s if you don’t count all the talk of him getting fired in like the third week of the 2017 season. Marquand Manuel’s impending doom has been a more recent subject, but all the indications we’re receiving here before the final game of the season is that both men are going to be looking for other opportunities soon.

The latest report came from Ian Rapoport at NFL.com, who essentially confirms what we’ve all been thinking about and hearing over the last month. To wit:

Coach Dan Quinn is safe, but there will be change. Offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian is seriously at risk, but so is defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel. The Falcons dealt with injuries, especially on the defensive side of the ball but the issues went deeper. While owner Arthur Blank is moving forward with Quinn and GM Thomas Dimitroff, with a strong belief in both, Quinn should have several new staff members for 2019. Darrell Bevell, who spent some time with Atlanta in the preseason, could be a candidate, but there will be other strong ones.

Sark had a shaky start in 2017 but presided over a pretty efbefective offense in 2018, all things considered. If the Falcons can him, he was doomed by his worst efforts—and we all remember too many jet sweeps and 2nd and 10 runs up the middle, to be sure—and Atlanta going slack on offense for five consecutive games to essentially ruin their season. Given that he was a controversial hire when he was added and both Falcons offenses he has run have been disappointing, it’s little surprise he’s likely on the outs and headed back to the college ranks in 2019. The names we’ve seen connected to the Falcons’ vacancy, including Bevell, are not exactly thrilling ones.

On defense, Manuel is on the hot seat because of a lack of progress. The 2017 Falcons defense was much better than the 2015 and 2016 versions, certainly, but it still fell short of one of the league’s best units. The fact that the pass rush was non-existent for weeks and key players failed to take a step forward in 2018 will hurt a once-hot head coach prospect a lot, and he’s very likely to be heading out the door as well. There’s been zero talk of who might take over for him, though you could certainly comb through Quinn’s coaching history to find some candidates, especially if Kris Richard might be willing to hop over from Dallas.

It’s worth noting, as some of you have, that it’s not a great look for Dan Quinn that he’s had one coordinator hired away (Kyle Shanahan) and has fired three others (Richard Smith, Sark and Manuel) if it comes to this. That’s why I’d expect Quinn to have a relatively short leash going forward, and he and the reportedly safe Thomas Dimitroff front office will have a lot of work to do in a short time to get this football team back on track.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to beat a dead horse but why would the front office make such a risky hire in Sarkesian?  There had to be better candidates out there at the time. 

If Quinn hires Bevel then they will have hitched the own futures together. If Bevel doesn't produce then DQ is on the fast track out of here. 

15 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Charlie Weis

I saw that article a couple days ago. Weis's desire to return to a coordinating job, the Weis Jr connection with the Falcons staff, TD and Pioli connection, connection with Quinn at Florida..

Just a side note on Weis Jr...

Quinn was supposedly not happy when Charlie Weis Jr left after one season here because he knew he lost a good one. Gil Brandt said he's extremely bright and compared him to the Hoodie in NE...wow. Said he'll be a head coach one day.

"I know for a fact [Falcons coach] Dan [Quinn] wasn’t happy losing him,” one NFC scout tells Bleacher Report. “You won’t talk to one person who has a bad thing to say about Charlie. He’s going to be a star in this business. Lane is way ahead of the curve on this"

I know people are always ready to crown the next McVay or Shanny and hire the next big thing but if 25 YEAR OLD Weis Jr is good as they say he is, makes you wonder if Quinn would actually look to hire Weis Sr in hopes of getting Weis Jr in a combo deal....pure stirring the pot on my end by the way

Edited by The Don™

If we don’t at least look at this man, I will be upset: Rich Scangarello - 49ers QB Coach

While Scangarello was in Oakland, Shanahan’s Texans offense averaged nearly 300 passing yards per game, the best in the league.

His system hit Scangarello like a thunderbolt. It was impressive, ingenious and meshed so well with Scangarello’s own ideas that he began adopting key components at the next stops in his career.

“I started to model my offense after his,” he said. “It’s what I always believed from afar. The truth is that I taught off of his film and he didn’t even know it for years.”

But to fully understand the offense, Scangarello, 44, realized he would have to work under Shanahan. So when a lowly offensive line position – an internship, really – became available in Atlanta, Scangarello jumped at the opportunity despite the minimum-wage salary and maximum-hours commitment.

The truth is it completed me in the cycle of knowing everything about this system,” he said. “… I really took the job in Atlanta for free, quite honestly. And I wasn’t afraid. I was willing to do the work and I really just wanted to be around coach Shanahan.”

Over the course of the Falcons’ 2015 season, Scangarello learned the details of the run game, the play-action fakes and the quarterback-keeper plays for which Shanahan is renown. He said the biggest difference between the West Coast offense he had been running in college and Shanahan’s system was the passing game.

“I would say the one thing I could truly appreciate beyond anything with coach Shanahan is that he’s trying to score on every single play he calls,” Scangarello said. “And I never thought that way as a play caller in the pass game. Sometimes I was thinking more about staying on schedule. And he was always thinking, ‘How can we attack the defense and create explosive (plays)?’ It really changed my mindset for the better.”

That also needs to be the mindset of the quarterbacks he will coach this year: They not only must be fearless when it comes to dealing with an oncoming pass rush, they have to have the guts to attempt big plays down the field.

“As we assembled this (quarterbacks) room, that was a non-negotiable quality,” Scangarello said. “We felt all four of them really have that trait that gives them a chance to be successful.”

Matt Barrows breaks down the 49ers quarterbacks

By Jose Luis Villegas

Shanahan, meanwhile, said that during the 2015 offseason he quickly began to appreciate Scangarello’s appetite to learn.

“I thought he was just an O-line guy at first because I didn’t know him,” he said. “And then he starts asking me questions about plays I ran, like, six years ago. And I start to wonder, ‘Who is this guy?’ It was obvious he knows what he’s talking about, and now I’m interested. He learned it for himself, and that’s how good coaches are. They just don’t memorize what someone said. They want to know why it works, how to coach it, how players see it.”

Shanahan said he tried to get Scangarello to stick around for the Falcons’ 2016 season, too, but there were no assistant-coach openings and Scangerello was unwilling to spend another year renting someone’s spare bedroom. He went to Wagner College instead and ran that school’s offense.

“It would have been hard to stay another year,” he said. “It would have been a huge strain financially.”

“Of course,” he added with a smile, “if I had known they were going to the Super Bowl, I probably would have stayed.”

Edited by Falconsin2012

6 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I hate to beat a dead horse but why would the front office make such a risky hire in Sarkesian?  There had to be better candidates out there at the time. 

If Quinn hires Bevel then they will have hitched the own futures together. If Bevel doesn't produce then DQ is on the fast track out of here. 

Quinn hated having a "strong" OC like Shanahan around.  Quinn could not really tell Shanahan what to do. 

On the other hand, Quinn has virtual domination over Sarkisian.  Example is how Quinn told him whether to sit in a booth or stand on a sideline.  Also, Quinn loves to give pretend (or exaggerated) injury holidays to players whereas a real OC might not be as lenient.

The real key for the Falcons is getting a new OC who is known to be previously successful and would truly control the offense and leave Quinn to himself.

31 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I swear if Bevell is the OC next year then Quinn might as well start renting cause he will be on borrowed time 

Quinn is now 1 for 1 on OC hires. Shanny was phenomenal, Sark was pedestrian at best. I think Quinn hired Shanny out of respect, but hired Sark out of friendship, maybe even sympathy.

With his job definitely on the line, one would certainly hope if he cans Sark Quinn will look long and hard at all the potential candidates this time and not just his friends and/or good-ol-boy cronies from his coaching tree.

1 minute ago, jlrfalcon said:

Quinn hated having a "strong" OC like Shanahan around.  Quinn could not really tell Shanahan what to do. 

On the other hand, Quinn has virtual domination over Sarkisian.  Example is how Quinn told him whether to sit in a booth or stand on a sideline.  Also, Quinn loves to give pretend (or exaggerated) injury holidays to players whereas a real OC might not be as lenient.

The real key for the Falcons is getting a new OC who is known to be previously successful and would truly control the offense and leave Quinn to himself.

It would be Quinn's downfall if he did not have an OC that controlled the offense with little input from Quinn. Offense is far from Quinn's strongsuit. It's like Wade Phillips to Sean McVay. McVay stays away and does his thing on the offensive side. It's becoming a trend in this league more and more. 

Quinn wanted Shanny all along before being hired. He had to have known that he had an alpha dog attitude about him before hiring him. 

6 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

I love when fans speak as if they have the inside scoop of what’s really going on in the building. Lol

4 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

I could see that Shannahan wouldn't just go along to get along. But to hire someone who is not the best but will be a yes man?  

And this is the first time hearing about extended injury holidays. Certainly buys you good favor with the players. I'm guessing he developer that in Seattle, dealing with that locker room. 

Who would be that toe of OC?

This does not need to happen... We are continuing to waste Matt Ryan’s prime, seriously. This needs to be just a rumor because all these switching of coaches like the next one that comes in is going to make an immediate impact is just ridiculous and we will never win any got **** thing without cohesiveness on the coaching staff. 

KEEP THEM. I’m serious if they fire both these coaches we will not win a Super Bowl during Matt Ryan’s tenure. It would suck the freakin’ life out of me as a fan.

I think if Sark is fired then DQ will look for a seasoned vet at OC. I doubt he goes after young OC's as Sark was supposed to be that guy and he let him down. I would think he hires someone who has plenty of experience as an OC in the NFL. As for the defense, I have no idea who he would go after if MM is fired or demoted. Maybe the LB's coach can move up? Its gonna be interesting for sure

7 minutes ago, Macintez said:

This does not need to happen... We are continuing to waste Matt Ryan’s prime, seriously. This needs to be just a rumor because all these switching of coaches like the next one that comes in is going to make an immediate impact is just ridiculous and we will never win any got **** thing without cohesiveness on the coaching staff. 

KEEP THEM. I’m serious if they fire both these coaches we will not win a Super Bowl during Matt Ryan’s tenure. It would suck the freakin’ life out of me as a fan.

I’m kind of in agreement.  It’s been proved so many times that continuity at the Coordinator level is so important.  I don’t love Sark, but unless we have an obvious upgrade, what’s the point

26 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Quinn is now 1 for 1 on OC hires. Shanny was phenomenal, Sark was pedestrian at best. I think Quinn hired Shanny out of respect, but hired Sark out of friendship, maybe even sympathy.

With his job definitely on the line, one would certainly hope if he cans Sark Quinn will look long and hard at all the potential candidates this time and not just his friends and/or good-ol-boy cronies from his coaching tree.

He definitely needs to hit on his next oc hire. And Bevell isn't it

28 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

It would be Quinn's downfall if he did not have an OC that controlled the offense with little input from Quinn. Offense is far from Quinn's strongsuit. It's like Wade Phillips to Sean McVay. McVay stays away and does his thing on the offensive side. It's becoming a trend in this league more and more. 

Quinn wanted Shanny all along before being hired. He had to have known that he had an alpha dog attitude about him before hiring him. 

Exactly right. I dont buy Quinn didn't like Shanny cause he couldn't control him. That just sounds stupid. It's about winning games. Shanny has always had an alpha personality 

40 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Where did you hear this? Until proven I just dont believe it one bit. Quinn hand picked Shanny when lobbying to get the HC gig and knew what he was getting. Sounds like an unfounded dig at Quinn and nothing else.