Falconsfan567

Notre Dame vs. Clemson (Cotton Bowl)

50 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

Is there a team that plays worse on a big stage now than Notre Dame? I can’t remember a BCS or CFP era top tier bowl game they’ve won. Think they’ve been blown out nearly every time too. 

I dont think they have won a decent bowl game in 25+ years. They won the Sugar Bowl in the early 90s. 

Like you said, they generally get humiliated in these games going back to the Oregon St BCS bowl yrs ago. Aside from giving USC a fight once or twicewhen they were great, this is part for the course in big games for the Irish.

Just now, richham said:

It matters when all the college football fans turn the channel and advertisers complain.

ND fans don't turn the channel. Don't don't even leave the stadium when losing. Heck, their haters tune in just to watch them lose.

The university commands their own major network which gets bookoo ratings even when they are losing 8 games a year. Because of this there is no incentive for ND to join a conference. They aren't going anywhere. 

Just now, richham said:

I turned it off at halftime when the game was over.

I turned it on after halftime.  The stadium was already like they were watching golf. 

18 minutes ago, Jesus said:

ND has one of the largest fan bases in the country, heck NBC pays billions to show just their handful of home games every year. They will always get a shot at the playoffs.

It's that deal with NBC that keeps them from being in a conference. They would have to give that up if they accepted being in a conference and they refuse to do it. As a result they should be banned from the CFP.

Porter Osborne Jr and Carter like this

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It's that deal with NBC that keeps them from being in a conference. They would have to give that up if they accepted being in a conference and they refuse to do it. As a result they should be banned from the CFP.

That whole deal is what created things like the Big 10 network and the SEC network. Every school wants to make money for sure. The NCAA is a mess in a lot of ways, banning teams isn't going to help them. If anything they should expand the playoffs to 8-12 teams. 

ND's real problem is Brian Kelly. He can get this team to play over their potential except in the big games.

It's just a flaw in the system. Based on this season's results, you put them in the playoffs, but they aren't one of the top 4teams.

The same thing in 2015? When they had Michigan St and Okla in it. They were technically 2 of the 4 teams based on winning conference titles/games that deserved to be there, but neither were among the 4 best. OU had beaten a slew of backup QBs down the stretch.

It's hard to justify putting in 2 loss teams that didn't win their conference or even play in their conference title games even if they are probably top 4 and would mean better games.

ferrell is going to be awesome.. i was talking to a few guys who have seen a lot of clemson practices this past week and was told to watch out for ferrell, he has been dominant in practice.  

11 minutes ago, Jesus said:

That whole deal is what created things like the Big 10 network and the SEC network. Every school wants to make money for sure. The NCAA is a mess in a lot of ways, banning teams isn't going to help them. If anything they should expand the playoffs to 8-12 teams. 

ND's real problem is Brian Kelly. He can get this team to play over their potential except in the big games.

i don't understand why any of the leagues agreed (other than the SEC) on a 4 team playoff..  the big issue IMO is basically you have an entire parts of the country who has zero interests in the playoff since their conference was left out.  i really think the playoff has hurt the pac-12 a lot when it comes to recruiting.  they should do a 8 team playoff and let the entire country have a chance to enjoy the playoffs.  it will mean more $$$$ for everyone and we know it is all about the money. 

Just now, thofin21 said:

Trevor Lawrence looking like Fabio lol.

lolol.. looks like sunshine from remember the titans.. ha

4 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

lolol.. looks like sunshine from remember the titans.. ha

Reminds me also of Jeff Spicoli (Sean penn) from Fast times at ridgemont high.

SacFalcFan likes this

Just now, thofin21 said:

Reminds me also of Jeff Spicoli (Sean penn) from Fast times at ridgemont high.

well done.. completely agree. 

57 minutes ago, Jesus said:

What is expanding the playoffs going to give us besides more lopsided games to watch. We can’t even get competitive semifinals with 4 teams. 

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

I don't think  expanding the playoffs is the answer.  I think its just the dynamic of college football right now. 

There was always 3-4 teams that could legit compete for a NC in a given year.  Its just that now its the same 3-4 teams every year and those teams have separated themselves from the rest of college football more than ever before.   Saban has set a new standard in college football and you have a few teams that have risen  or are  rising  to that level. 

Edited by frankly88