Dawgfanbrock

Bowl games have gone downhill

19 posts in this topic

What’s the fix? I thought cuse and wv would be good but remembered Grier was skipping, while I don’t blame him at all it’s the biggest killer ever, losing your record setting qb, makes game suck, all the garbage games up til now are hard to watch anyway, but losing a qb like that, what’s the fix? Don’t blame baker either but that’s not at all the same impact- 

would it not be better to have a bigger playoff and just do away with the rest of the bowls? Remind me why they are against like a 12-16 team playoff? Injuries? 

Faithful Falcon likes this

It's not that they've gone downhill, but all advertising since the 6th week has been about Alabama vs whom? Will Georgia get in? Will someone get left out. 

Another issue too is these days the rich getting richer the amount of top flight recruits going to specific schools I think is far greater than before. 

Which means your Baylor or Vanderbilt will never have a true shot (now I mean) at a top rank bowl game. Because the talent is now truly top heavy in SEC and other conferences

I blame this on the media more than anything how they cover things these days. We're constantly bombarded with Georgia v Alabama rematch all year while Alabama vs Ole miss is like a fart in the wind.

i don't think the bowl games were ever great, but with the playoff bowl games in general mean less and less..  years ago the Sugar Bowl was a great game and teams won to get into that game.. this year both team's lost to get into the Sugar Bowl.. that says it all about the bowl structure now with the playoff. 

If you want the post-season to mean more, I see one of two options: you have automatic bids for conference champions and an 8 team playoff. More drama on Championship Saturday and then you have quarterfinals they would have drama as well. 

I don't like an 8 team playoff, but that would make the post-season mean a lot more. Going into the first week of December you have at least 10 teams that are alive. 

Another solution is to lower the number of bowl games. We also have too many bowls. Half of these bowls are so horribly attended. When you can go 6-6 and still make a bowl, it takes out the excitement of going to a bowl. Let's say you even have 25 bowls... that's 50/129 teams that go bowling. Obviously you would have some tie ins where each conference is guaranteed a certain number of teams. For example, 2 guaranteed spots for each team that plays in a conference championship game then a bunch of at-large bids for the other 30 spots. 

Now the second thing will absolutely never happen. But I think it would be interesting. And it would make it to where you wouldn't have 6-6 Tulane, 6-6 Baylor, 6-6 Purdue, or 6-6 Vandy getting into bowl games. 

Biggest problem for bowl season is too many bowl games. Bowl season is extremely watered down with a lot of bad teams playing. It makes the whole thing feel less important.

Honestly the way I feel about it though is the top bowl games still mean as much as they ever did. The fan culture now is just “national title or bust” and it’s ridiculous. I mean Auburn lost 3 games last year and they were disappointed with a top tier NY6 bowl selection. Georgia fans have been whining for about 15 years now that anything less than a national title is a waste. I know so many Dawg fans that couldn’t care less the moment it came out we didn’t make the top 4 this year. Folks don’t wanna go to the game, don’t even care to watch it on tv. It was disappointing, sure, but like... it’s the last chance to see the Dawgs play a sanctioned game that goes on the official record for 8 months. It comes across as a spoiled and entitled mentality.

Saban doing his thing at Alabama has only amplified that all or nothing drive for everyone else. Absolutely horrible officiating at the highest levels of college ball is another big problem too though. The beauty of being a football fan and the competitive integrity of the game is being lost. 

The LSU/UCF game and our game are the only two games I’m really interested in. I’ll watch others if I’m around. 

I don’t care to see any of the teams in the playoffs win....so that doesn’t really interest me. 

:lol:

27 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

The LSU/UCF game and our game are the only two games I’m really interested in. I’ll watch others if I’m around. 

I don’t care to see any of the teams in the playoffs win....so that doesn’t really interest me. 

Man I have lost a lot of interest in recent years for any team other than UGA. I don’t even hardly watch the Falcons anymore. I used to watch college football all freaking day every Saturday... I’d flip between SEC, ACC, Big Ten games, then Big 12, then Pac 10/12 games later. By the end of the season I always had a pretty comprehensive take on each conference and the top teams. This year I watched all of every UGA game and that’s about it. I couldn’t tell you anything about a single Pac 12 team this year except that USC and UCLA both suck.

Probably extends into bowl season also. I haven’t watched too much of any so far. I’ll watch the playoff and NY6 bowl games for sure though. I don’t really care who wins. I always tend to go for whoever beat my team to go all the way just so I can say we lost to the champs, but I’m so freaking tired of losing to Bama and Bama winning it all.

There is nothing to get even mildly interested in watching 90% of the games, mostly if I do watch its on in the background while I do other stuff.Even New Years day isnt must see TV unless its got another catch to it.Most of the times thats a player and now more and more top prospects are sitting out the Meineke Muffler or Tax Slayer bowls that have no draw. Only way to make these other bowls viable is an expanded playoff played through out December at these secondary bowl games with top 4 or 2 getting bye weeks till the last rounds. It will never happen but right now all most of the bowl system is, giving players one last game.

I use to watch a lot of bowl games but now I only watch in passing. I probably actually watch a couple with one being the Championship. The matchups just aren't as interesting and now everyone is sitting out so you don't get a teams best. Like the Syracuse/WV game, Will Grier opted out and WV couldn't find consistent offense. You just get 2019 preseason games pretty much.

putnam6 likes this

I remember the Rose Bowl the big daddy of them all. Hmph. Then the Boise State team went to the Fiesta bowl....now hmph. I loved the Cotton bowl..again....It seems that the advertisement is more important than the game itself. It was fun to watch and was interesting, but now it is all about money and how they can shove what they want you to see down your throat. Media as has been spoken above is the driver for the downfall...they do what they want and we can choose to ignore it....or live with it. One more thing, When they move these games to where you have to pay to watch a game that interests you, then it is all about the money and well, That is another ignore it or live with it. 

9 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I use to watch a lot of bowl games but now I only watch in passing. I probably actually watch a couple with one being the Championship. The matchups just aren't as interesting and now everyone is sitting out so you don't get a teams best. Like the Syracuse/WV game, Will Grier opted out and WV couldn't find consistent offense. You just get 2019 preseason games pretty much.

Same here.  I am a UGA fan first but also a general fan of college football.  New Years Day used to be in front of the TV watching most of the games.   Now its incredibly meh and I think the playoffs have a lot to do with that.  It just doesn't seem to mean as much.  

This bowl season has been the worst games I can ever remember.  We've only had a couple of competitive games and those were involving extremely mediocre teams.  

Also we see the impact Samuel sitting out had on SC.  Talk about can't find a consistent offense...

On 12/29/2018 at 3:18 AM, Carter said:

Man I have lost a lot of interest in recent years for any team other than UGA. I don’t even hardly watch the Falcons anymore. I used to watch college football all freaking day every Saturday... I’d flip between SEC, ACC, Big Ten games, then Big 12, then Pac 10/12 games later. By the end of the season I always had a pretty comprehensive take on each conference and the top teams. This year I watched all of every UGA game and that’s about it. I couldn’t tell you anything about a single Pac 12 team this year except that USC and UCLA both suck.

Probably extends into bowl season also. I haven’t watched too much of any so far. I’ll watch the playoff and NY6 bowl games for sure though. I don’t really care who wins. I always tend to go for whoever beat my team to go all the way just so I can say we lost to the champs, but I’m so freaking tired of losing to Bama and Bama winning it all.

That last part is the true issue repeat teams coming to win it all. Namely Alabama half the time it just feels scripted. If they would even out recruiting I think you'll see that change, or it would be a start.

The problem is they also have way too many bowls. Sorry but if it was more a privilege to get to play in them and most of these kids were sitting home, the teams and the fans might appreciate it more. Now you also have high draft picks sitting out, which l’m ok with. College football is changing a lot.

95Dawg likes this

Stanford game was kinda boring with one injury and Love staying home. Went outside in 35 degree wx and wind and worked on a project. Came back in and watched the Oregon game for a bit and then back outside. I dunno, kinda think the project was more important than football yesterday. I dont know what to expect today. 

Posted (edited)

On 12/29/2018 at 2:38 AM, mike teevee said:

Ive broken down how they need to Make the 7 major bowls a part of a 8 team playoff...

Edited by slickgadawg
m2Falcons likes this

On 12/28/2018 at 6:30 PM, Dawgfanbrock said:

What’s the fix? I thought cuse and wv would be good but remembered Grier was skipping, while I don’t blame him at all it’s the biggest killer ever, losing your record setting qb, makes game suck, all the garbage games up til now are hard to watch anyway, but losing a qb like that, what’s the fix? Don’t blame baker either but that’s not at all the same impact- 

would it not be better to have a bigger playoff and just do away with the rest of the bowls? Remind me why they are against like a 12-16 team playoff? Injuries? 

It's all about money. The fact that the CFB Playoffs still have named bowls tells us that 

SeahawkFan80 likes this