Jump to content

Another Starting Offensive Lineman Out - Schweitzer!


jlrfalcon
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/falcons-expect-jones-coleman-play/oyMJNULY2H5sV9YJNWm8VL/

Falcons expect Jones, Coleman to play

Atlanta Falcons 3 hours ago

By Matt Winkeljohn, For the AJC

Starters return to practice, but left guard Wes Schweitzer is out

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Wide receiver Julio Jones and running back Tevin Coleman returned to practice Friday and coach Dan Quinn said they will play in Sunday’s regular-season finale at Tampa Bay, but left guard Wes Schweitzer has been ruled out with a sore back.

Coleman (groin) and Jones (hip/ribs) did not practice Wednesday or Thursday, but were full participants Friday indoors in the final session of the year. “Tevin did well, Julio did well, so those guys are in a good space for the game,” the coach said. “I knew Coleman really put work in, and battled for it. I was hopeful heading into today, and he felt good.”Schweitzer starting the previous 13 games at left guard after Andy Levitre suffered a season-ending triceps injury, and Quinn would not confirm that Ben Garland will become the third starting left guard of the season.He and undrafted rookie Matt Gono, who was inactive for the first 15 games, are the likely candidates as the Falcons (6-9) try to sweep the Bucs (5-10).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they rolled with Wes in 2019 and upgraded RG only. Ty has held down the RT spot very well so far, albeit it can be questioned who he's faced. Wes has played all season and has been solid. He's very much upgradeable, but he hasn't been the problem RG has been. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vel said:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they rolled with Wes in 2019 and upgraded RG only. Ty has held down the RT spot very well so far, albeit it can be questioned who he's faced. Wes has played all season and has been solid. He's very much upgradeable, but he hasn't been the problem RG has been. 

I keep hearing positives about Beadles now at RG also - has our 2019 line already been created? (sarcasm)

Edited by jlrfalcon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, vel said:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they rolled with Wes in 2019 and upgraded RG only. Ty has held down the RT spot very well so far, albeit it can be questioned who he's faced. Wes has played all season and has been solid. He's very much upgradeable, but he hasn't been the problem RG has been. 

I agree. If Wes is the worst(comparatively) of the 5 lineman next year then we’ve done a good job fixing the line. This year he’s been the third best after Matthews and Mack, while Schraeder and Fusco/Garland have been subpar to awful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, vel said:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they rolled with Wes in 2019 and upgraded RG only. Ty has held down the RT spot very well so far, albeit it can be questioned who he's faced. Wes has played all season and has been solid. He's very much upgradeable, but he hasn't been the problem RG has been. 

Wes is a victim of PFF scores I guess. every game I see him being solid and then I'll see comments about him being awful and I on't get it. case in point, look at that Allen Strk gif post and look at how well he played.and go a step further look at those Brian Hill runs how he would stutter step to allow the hole to open instead of running full speed and getting tackled for a loss.

 

you know what I'm talking bout vel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, vel said:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they rolled with Wes in 2019 and upgraded RG only. Ty has held down the RT spot very well so far, albeit it can be questioned who he's faced. Wes has played all season and has been solid. He's very much upgradeable, but he hasn't been the problem RG has been. 

They probably will: he's better than both of our right-side players and it'll be hard to find 3 new starters on the OLine in one offseason. If Wes is our worst player we'll have a **** good line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

Wes is a victim of PFF scores I guess. every game I see him being solid and then I'll see comments about him being awful and I on't get it. case in point, look at that Allen Strk gif post and look at how well he played.and go a step further look at those Brian Hill runs how he would stutter step to allow the hole to open instead of running full speed and getting tackled for a loss.

 

you know what I'm talking bout vel.

Most people have no clue what they are looking at. They just latch onto something they'd rather believe because they're mind is made up. Improvement is impossible around here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jake Matthews - 2 penalties 20 yards, 2.5 sacks allowed 16 yards

Ryan Schraeder - 7 penalties 55 yards, 6.5 sacks allowed 51 yards

Alex Mack - 3 penalties 25 yards, 3 sacks allowed 18 yards

Ben Garland - 2 penalties 15 yards, 3 sacks allowed 19 yards

Brandon Fusco - 2 prnalties 15 yards, 2 sacks allowed 9 yards

Wes Schweitzer - 7 penalties 64 yards, 2.5 sacks allowed 12 yards.

Hooper has been credited with 3 sacks allowed, Paulsen with 1.5 and Beadles with 1

that 25 sacks by the line and TEs. didn't see if the RBs were credited with any sacks allowed but they must have given up a ton because when I said that Ryan needs to work on his pocket presence because he runs into too many sacks I was told he was fine. bottom line the right side of the line is just fine as is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Lmao. Wes is one of the worst OG in NFL. Gave up too many hits and QB pressures. Not even in the same zip code of Mack, Mathews and Garland.

I think you're mixed up: Garland's the one on the right side always getting destroyed. Wes is average, which is way better than anyone at RG has been.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

Jake Matthews - 2 penalties 20 yards, 2.5 sacks allowed 16 yards

Ryan Schraeder - 7 penalties 55 yards, 6.5 sacks allowed 51 yards

Alex Mack - 3 penalties 25 yards, 3 sacks allowed 18 yards

Ben Garland - 2 penalties 15 yards, 3 sacks allowed 19 yards

Brandon Fusco - 2 prnalties 15 yards, 2 sacks allowed 9 yards

Wes Schweitzer - 7 penalties 64 yards, 2.5 sacks allowed 12 yards.

Hooper has been credited with 3 sacks allowed, Paulsen with 1.5 and Beadles with 1

that 25 sacks by the line and TEs. didn't see if the RBs were credited with any sacks allowed but they must have given up a ton because when I said that Ryan needs to work on his pocket presence because he runs into too many sacks I was told he was fine. bottom line the right side of the line is just fine as is.

Add  Pressures/ hurries to the OG.

Wes : 20 hurries 8 penalties 

Garland: 10, 2 penalties 

Fusco: 16, 2 penalties. He was worse, racked up in limited games.

Beadles: 7 he has been bigger disaster. 

Wes had no business in the line up just like Duke Riley and Jordan Richards in D. Not sure what game film Sark and DQ were watching.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Add  Pressures/ hurries to the OG.

Wes : 20 hurries 8 penalties 

Garland: 10, 2 penalties 

Fusco: 16, 2 penalties. He was worse, racked up in limited games.

Beadles: 7 he has been bigger disaster. 

Wes had no business in the line up just like Duke Riley and Jordan Richards in D. Not sure what game film Sark and DQ were watching.

So Garland has given up half the pressures, .5 sacks more, and a quarter of the penalties in a third of the snaps. Still bad. That's why he was benched instead of Wes.

 

Edit: If we extrapolate Ben's stats into the amount of snaps Wes has taken, this is their comparative stats:

Wes: 20 Hurries, 2.5 sacks, 8 penalties

Ben: 25 hurries, 7.5 sacks, 5 penalties

So who's better "by the blocking stats"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...