Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spts1

Sarkisian never had a chance in Atlanta

144 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Then bring back Shanahan...:lol:   Look. You gotta go with what you got.  Shanahan is gone...

Well Sark is not all we got.  Sark was a terrible hire by Quinn and TD.  The good lord didn't bless us when Quinn had the connection with Sark.  Didn't bless us one bit with that connection

14 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I would prefer that you do one or the other.  Keep it simple for the line so that they can concentrate on bettering their technique...  Good info, thanx...

Honestly, not being a film watcher I can't be sure, but I feel like we do.  I feel like we run inside and outside zone and mix in a handful of power plays like traps, etc.

But I'll defer to those who keep track of such things -- I'm going by the "eye test," and I honestly just haven't watched all that many games closely this year.  No fun in analyzing what went wrong.

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

Sark never had a chance here coming behind Shanahan and that historic season the Falcons put up.  People tend to become prisoners of the moment in the NFL thus ANYBODY who came after Shanahan was gonna be heavily criticized.  I personally think Sark was the right man for the gig and still do.  Ryan has put up historic numbers this year as proof.  There is not ONE coordinator in the league who doesn't make QUESTIONABLE calls.  Heck,  Shanahan threw the Falcons under the bus with SEVERAL horrible calls in the Superbowl.  He went away from the running game. I think Freeman only got 4 touches in the second half of the Superbowl.  In the biggest game in Falcon history Shanahan wet the bed but is still worshipped here.

Sark took that offense and in his FIRST year got similar results as Shanahan. I broke it down before how the Falcons were actually better in some areas.  The NFL adjusts to offenses so most likely even Shanahan wouldn't have had the same results as far as BIG plays in 2017.  Injuries also play a factor.  I hate to admit it because I've always been a fan of Coleman but Freeman's power running changes the Falcons run game.  Having healthy guards in there also helps the run game. 

That being said the Falcons are currently ranked  #8th in the NFL in total yards.  EIGHTH folks.  They are ranked #5th in passing yardage and passing yardage per game.  They are ranked 27th in rushing yards but you have to DIRECTLY attribute that to Freeman and the injuries on the offensive line. Last year when Freeman was healthy for the most part and the offensive line healthy the Falcons ranked 9th in total rushing yards and 12th in rushing yards per game.  Sark didn't suddenly drop to 27th because he doesn't know what he is doing...  Another stat.  The Falcons are currently ranked #11th in total points!  #11th folks.  They are ranked #8th in points per game.  With the injuries.  With the horrible defense.  With everything thats going on Sark still has the Falcons situated as one of the top offenses in the league.  If the defense had carried its weight in just two to four more games you looking at a playoff team just like last year.   Its a shame because Sark is gonna get scapegoated out of here...

" Sark must go!  Sark must go!  Sark must go! "

Image result for mob pitchfork gif

Sark may stay. Wdk

Not a fan of the system. Whether run by Sark or Shanny. Last year Sark was killed by player execution with drops, bad throws and penalties. This year it was injuries but I still think he should have been able to adjust to the injuries quicker. I'm OK with keeping him but I'd like to see some adjustments in the run game. I''m OK with cutting him depending on who we replace him with.

Geneaut, FalconsIn2012 and Tandy like this

30 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

You can run inside zone though, and we frequently do.  Zone versus man/power is not as simple as going outside the tackle versus running inside.  

Frankly, I prefer the zone blocking scheme for both.  Some don't, which is fine -- everyone has different opinions.  But I did want to point out that inside zone is a thing and Sark runs it a lot.

Most of Hill’s chunk runs last week were inside zone

JDaveG likes this

More stats.   2018 Falcons offense ranked 5th in overall drive success.  This formula includes drive yards, average field starting position,  fumbles per drive, fumbles loss per drive, drive success rate and time of possession...  Last year they FINISHED 2ND IN THE LEAGUE...

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

I believe that it honestly was losing both guards, losing Freeman and not having  a great fullback to help pick up the pieces.

Tandy there is no doubt that played into it..here is my issue. It's 4th and 1 and we have the ball at midfield. Our O line has been overwhelmed all day by the Ravens defense. Sark calls a running play with Ito Smith into the left side of the line.. we all remember the Raven's linemen waiting in our backfield to crush our undersized running back. That did it for me and I think for some of the Falcon players as well..those guys knew that play call had zero chance! The players are saying all the right things in public, but they know they are not being put in the best position to succeed.

Tandy likes this

20 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

More stats.   2018 Falcons offense ranked 5th in overall drive success.  This formula includes drive yards, average field starting position,  fumbles per drive, fumbles loss per drive, drive success rate and time of possession...  Last year they FINISHED 2ND IN THE LEAGUE...

Whats their record again?  How did we look in the playoffs last year?  What was that play called vs the Eagles in the Playoff game?  I have seen enough of this team and the trash talent they brought in SINCE Sark came on board

Maybe Blank should've paid Shanahan a truckload of solid gold to stay a couple more years.

I can't figure Sark out.  One game the offense is dialed in, and opposing defense looks a step behind.

Next game we can't run a 2nd-and 2 without losing 8 yards and then trying a 50 yard bomb on 3rd and 10. 

I just don't get his awful lack of consistency.   It's like some games he doesn't seem to have come up with anything other than just reading plays willy-nilly off his laminated chart. 

2 hours ago, Geneaut said:

The failure of the running game is my biggest beef with him. I can't decide if that was on the OL, the loss of Freeman, or Sark.

I believe it is more Freeman and the OL.

Geneaut likes this

4 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Maybe Blank should've paid Shanahan a truckload of solid gold to stay a couple more years.

I can't figure Sark out.  One game the offense is dialed in, and opposing defense looks a step behind.

Next game we can't run a 2nd-and 2 without losing 8 yards and then trying a 50 yard bomb on 3rd and 10. 

I just don't get his awful lack of consistency.   It's like some games he doesn't seem to have come up with anything other than just reading plays willy-nilly off his laminated chart. 

Blank giving Shanahan a Truck load would have been the best decision the franchise ever made.  BUT of course, this team seems to pay off people that aren't worth it and let the best people go

Just now, R_The_Great said:

Blank giving Shanahan a Truck load would have been the best decision the franchise ever made.  BUT of course, this team seems to pay off people that aren't worth it and let the best people go

The record is not a great one in that area, indeed. 

59 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Well Sark is not all we got.  Sark was a terrible hire by Quinn and TD.  The good lord didn't bless us when Quinn had the connection with Sark.  Didn't bless us one bit with that connection

You may not like the hire, and maybe you have a point that it wasn't the best hire, but it was definitely not a "terrible" hire.

40 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think the team is better off getting some depth on the O-line and either depending on a healthy Freeman or getting a new RB than replacing Sark.

I agree, other than I wouldn't cry if Quinn brought in Kubiak.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

17 minutes ago, vafalconfan said:

Tandy there is no doubt that played into it..here is my issue. It's 4th and 1 and we have the ball at midfield. Our O line has been overwhelmed all day by the Ravens defense. Sark calls a running play with Ito Smith into the left side of the line.. we all remember the Raven's linemen waiting in our backfield to crush our undersized running back. That did it for me and I think for some of the Falcon players as well..those guys knew that play call had zero chance! The players are saying all the right things in public, but they know they are not being put in the best position to succeed.

Here's an idea for you, you should be able to get a yard in short yardage situations.  At some point, it's on the players to do their job...

FalconFanSince1970 and Spts1 like this

2 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Makes me wonder if we couldn't hire a consultant in the offseason to educate Sark. Maybe toss some $$$ at Shanny Sr?

I’d rather spend the money on Gibbs if we are looking for a special assistant. He is The Godfather of ZBS blocking.  I love this quote:

We run zone wide and tight, and that is it. If you want to run something else, do not call me and ask for help." -Gibbs

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

You can't put putrid O-Line play on him. O-line came in overrated. Even in Freemans 2 games he played this year he had a long of 20 yards and gained 32 on 8 carries and 36 on 6 carries yards respectively. No touchdowns. His last 4 games last year were 11 for 36 yards, 11 for 23 yards, 18 for 66 yards and 10 for 7 yards. All of last season he had only 4 games over 80 yards rushing behind a fairly heatlhy line. The rest were as mediocre as what Coleman has had this year behind a trash line. Even behind this line and fewer carries he averaged .3 more ypc than Freeman averaged last season and almost 100 fewer yards at the moment.

People are acting like Freeman is above and beyond anyone else but he's not that much better. You can give me the better vision and he's a one cut argument all day but the stat sheet shows they bring almost the same production to the table

Good post.

caponine and ya_boi_j like this

23 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Whats their record again?  How did we look in the playoffs last year?  What was that play called vs the Eagles in the Playoff game?  I have seen enough of this team and the trash talent they brought in SINCE Sark came on board

What were those plays that Shanahan called inside field goal range on 3rd downs that backed the Falcons into losing the Superbowl???

JDaveG likes this

20 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

What were those plays that Shanahan called inside field goal range on 3rd downs that backed the Falcons into losing the Superbowl???

Yeah and what were those plays that Shanahan called to even GET US TO THE SUPER BOWL?  News flash, its not happening again unless our offense is like how it was in 2016.

I don't give a rats *** about stats of 17 and 18, I am looking at the overall team, their record and if they are EVEN ANY GOOD.  Yeah we can beat the Cardinals and Panthers with out Cam any day of the week, Congrats! Where the good wins at this year?  Washington?  Getting swept by the Saints?  Who did we beat this year of any note?  Enough of the blinders, WE SUCK and its because of STEVE SARKISIAN

The thing that irks me about Sark is his inconsistency.

First year In yep growing pains and getting used to personnel ok cool.2nd year they put another set of experienced eyes around him to help him with perceived weakness in the red zone.Cool went well and the red zone issues disapppeared and looked positive early.Even with injuries upfront he and the offense was operating at a good clip.

Then the key qtr of the season Pitt Baltimore Dallas and Cleveland happened the offense disappeared and now we play the Cards Carolina and Tampa to finish and it’s come around again.

To me his inconsistency is what will seal his fate in my eyes.For the most part he’s had enough on that side of the ball to keep us competitive and it’s where the team needed it the most because of the catastrophe injury wise that happened on the other side.It didn’t happen and we are where we are a sub 500 team.

We are better than that.

FalconsIn2012 and Spts1 like this

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The thing that irks me about Sark is his inconsistency.

First year In yep growing pains and getting used to personnel ok cool.2nd year they put another set of experienced eyes around him to help him with perceived weakness in the red zone.Cool went well and the red zone issues disapppeared and looked positive early.Even with injuries upfront he and the offense was operating at a good clip.

Then the key qtr of the season Pitt Baltimore Dallas and Cleveland happened the offense disappeared and now we play the Cards Carolina and Tampa to finish and it’s come around again.

To me his inconsistency is what will seal his fate in my eyes.For the most part he’s had enough on that side of the ball to keep us competitive and it’s where the team needed it the most because of the catastrophe injury wise that happened on the other side.It didn’t happen and we are where we are a sub 500 team.

We are better than that.

I agree in theory with what you are saying.  But look.  Baltimore has the top defense in the league.  Cleveland the players admitted they didn't show up.  Dallas could've been won anyway.  Pittsburgh was gonna be a hard win regardless on the road.  You can have worst than Sark calling those very same games...