Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

falcons007

Noodle Arm and Deep Ball Accuracy disaster

63 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Ryan on Deep throws from 2012: 

2012 : accuracy %8th in NFL (Godgers was 7th)

NFL Qb rating: 5th in NFL.

2013: With HD and bunch of UDFA WR and turnstile OL: 

Accuracy% Rank: 24 th. That year top rating went to Mike Glenon, Josh McCown, Nick Folles, Tony Romo. 

2014: With just JJ and injured RW and OL decimated

Accuracy% Rank: First in NFL, 

2015: New Scheme under KS

Accuracy: 3rd in the NFL. 

2016: second in  Accuracy % in NFL, only behind Sam Bradford. Godgers was 18th.

First in NFL QB rating. 

2017: 

15th in Accuracy, Russell Wilson was 16th.

Alex smith, Josh McCown  and Brees were top3.

2018: So far 

NFL QB rating: 6th when throwing deep.

Accuracy % 14th in NFL. Godgers is 12th.

Fun fact: In his rookie year, Noodle Arm was 4th in NFL in Deep ball accuracy. 

Ryan had 3 years in Top 3, 5 years in top 10. He finished outside top 10 in three out of eight years.

The deep passing game is a low percentage game, even guys with strongest arms aren’t in top 10 every year consistently. 

where are these numbers coming from?

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

How is deep ball defined in these stats? Usually it's 20+ air yards. If so, that ain't a deep ball. 40+ air yards would be deep.

It’s NFL definition. Even with 40 yard, Ryan lead NFL in 2014 and 2016.

FalconsIn2012 and Schwarzwald like this

4 hours ago, osiruz said:

Those moon balls kill me, can't he work on his arm strength?

I am guessing he works out his whole body then looks at his right arm and says “nah, fk it!”

Osiruz likes this

If QB's were judged by arm strength alone, half of the present NFL QB's would be in another occupation.

It also does no good to have a strong arm passer if a team's WR's cannot outrun man-to-man coverage.  Ryan threw a pretty deep pass last week to Ridley that was 75 yards total (not sure how deep) but the key to it was that no Panthers were around.  Same thing with a pretty deep 32 yard pass to Hooper.  It takes brainpower as opposed to arm strength to find these open receivers.

One other thing is that if arm strength were everything, most QB's would not last past their 30th birthday.  Instead, you are seeing QB's go into their 40's now even as their muscles decline because strength is less important.  Brees has great accuracy now helped by the fact that his passing game is more focused on short passes - unfortunately, our defense does not understand this and gets killed by RB's, TE's and short WR routes.

Geneaut likes this

6 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

I'd like to see Matt's completion % when targeting julio specifically.. 

Has anyone else noticed Matt throws the deep ball different to Julio than other WRs?

When he throws to Julio, he gives him the pop fly ball. The deep ball to Ridley against NO and the shot to Gage a few weeks ago looked completely different. Those throws were much more on a line. A typical deep ball.

I have noticed it on 1/2 a dozen deep balls over the past few years. Was curious if anyone else thought it was due to Julio liking the fair catch deep ball.

6 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

A QB needs good protection before he can deliver a great deep ball. If it's rushed, the timing may be off, the receiver may not have broken the coverage yet, etc. In 2016, when Ryan had time to throw, we saw plays like this:

https://youtu.be/jvv3TTN1RB4

the day is a chance that his arm strength is to terry now since he's getting older but I still think he got maybe 2 more years left in him.  that's why I think we should draft a quarterback in the first round. 

7 hours ago, osiruz said:

Those moon balls kill me, can't he work on his arm strength?

His deep ball is only bad when targeting Julio.  It’s on point with every other receiver he ever played with.  I think Julio’s unique physical gifts are tough for Ryan to judge. It requires a different throw and the last thing you want is an overthrow when Julio has a step.  The result is often a conservative underthrow that gets a big completion but not a highlight reel TD

It really would help if Julio practiced more during the season and worked extensively with Ryan, ala Hooper, during the off season

likeriver likes this

43 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

Has anyone else noticed Matt throws the deep ball different to Julio than other WRs?

When he throws to Julio, he gives him the pop fly ball. The deep ball to Ridley against NO and the shot to Gage a few weeks ago looked completely different. Those throws were much more on a line. A typical deep ball.

I have noticed it on 1/2 a dozen deep balls over the past few years. Was curious if anyone else thought it was due to Julio liking the fair catch deep ball.

I don't think any receiver likes the fair catch ball unless he's already in the end zone, Julio never gets balls in stride except slants. Rid had most his tds on perfect lines this year. Idk what's up with Matt thinking julio slow or something and not leading him, but hes terrible at it 

59 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

Think a lot of those are just trying to make a play and maybe draw a pass interference. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

59 minutes ago, 81KJW said:

the day is a chance that his arm strength is to terry now since he's getting older but I still think he got maybe 2 more years left in him.  that's why I think we should draft a quarterback in the first round. 

Lol wtf 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

His deep ball is only bad when targeting Julio.  It’s on point with every other receiver he ever played with.  I think Julio’s unique physical gifts are tough for Ryan to judge. It requires a different throw and the last thing you want is an overthrow when Julio has a step.  The result is often a conservative underthrow that gets a big completion but not a highlight reel TD

It really would help if Julio practiced more during the season and worked extensively with Ryan, ala Hooper, during the off season

What ever the reason, they better spend more time together in offseason.

57 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Think a lot of those are just trying to make a play and maybe draw a pass interference. 

He does throw lots of 50-50 balls to Julio which explains the moon ball

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He does throw lots of 50-50 balls to Julio which explains the moon ball

A deep ball is 50-50 for most WR/QB. Julio is like 30-70 ball.

9 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

I'd like to see Matt's completion % when targeting julio specifically.. 

Deep ball completion % to julio in 2016, 2017 and 2018 is between 35-38%.

This year: 

Ridley 43.8 %

Marvin Hall 50%.

julio : 39%

in 2016: 

julio 38%

Gabriel 57%

Aldrick Robinson : 50%

Sanu 43%

3 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

The dime he threw in the superbowl to Julio over Rowe was the best catch ive ever seen.  

What happened after that want to talk to you.....

Yeah, Ryan's a smart guy, but his deep ball leaves A LOT to be desired. His strengths are ball accuracy 20 yards and in.

I just wish he would concentrate on learning how to throw his guys open instead of putting it on the money. That would lead to less contested balls on behalf of whoever he's throwing it to.

12 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

I love Matt Ryan, but those deep balls to Julio are TERRIBLE.  I can't stand that moon ball stuff, and frankly, I am not sure what he is trying to do on those.