First "attempt" at 2019 Mock off-season v1.0 ( Long )

Falcons 2019 Offseason

I hope this is a fun mock for you guys and it gets those brain juices flowing. this fun for me and I hope to nail down this class by march of this year.

The whole mock is based on one thing I keep coming back to. Clayborn and Crawford are the only good FAs on D that we have hit on.... Why Continue to try to get blood out of a stone and put a square peg in a round hole? If Dan Quinn's draft record says anything for his drafts its that he can mold and mature guys quicker than he can acquire quality free agents with TD to plug holes.

Poole, Jones, Neal, Takk, Grady, Oluokun, Kazee, Oliver, Senat, and even Campbell and Duke at times..... he knows how to play his guys and build a team through the draft.

Add a 9 or 11 pick 2019 draft in DQs lap and OOOOOOOWWEEEEE watch this man work. RIGHT?

So hear me out. I'm not a cap wizard or a draft expert. I watch film and study the game like a mad man for my show, and one day hope to be a scout. That said I have looked at the current mocks and know what this team needs to be a success in 2019.

So lets begin>

FAs -

Micheal Bennett DT - Was a contributor in ATL when he was here. DQ said he was the prototype for the DT's he is looking for. Would be had for cheap in a 1 - 2 year deal. #BetterThanMcClain lol

Steven Means DE - Not a long term solution at DE (28 y/o ), but while here he was a force with Takk. Could be a sneaky keep for the Falcons who need someone better then Brooks Reed IMO.

Bruce Irvin DE/LB  - Played most of his snaps at LB this year and rushed the passer effectively adding 3.5 sacks in 7 games with the Falcons. Would be kept on a home town deal and used the way Vic was meant to be used as a hybrid LB/DE. 

Tevin Coleman RB - Yeah yeah... We can't keep him and Freeman blah blah blah. * Read below for the answer to this.* But anyway... keeping Coleman with Ito and drafting a new RB would be a better for the lomng run then waiting for 2020 and cutting him imo. 

Ty Sambrailo OT  - Depth and familiar with the system we run. The new OC has more control over who would stay and go on the OL. ( Hoping for Kubiak + Knapp btw. Sorry not sorry)

Zane Beadles G - Same as above^

Blidi Wreh-Wilson - CB  - can be kept for cheap. Solid enough and a ST guy.

Hall - WR - Same as Wilson. And has had time to adjust with Ryan.

Not a sexy way to start this mock but look at the guys and tell me I'm wrong to add these them back to sure up the team. Even the Coleman return is not out of the question with DQ and TD saying they see a way to make it work. ( Possibly something to do with Freeman JS ) 

FA Restructuring -

Sanu ( Keep ) - This is the first major move after the Grady Jarrett Franchise Tag. Sanu has gotten better and better each year with ATL. Under Ryan he has had major success and has been solid. I don't see a reason, outside of his cap hit, to cut our trade him.

Freeman** ( See below ) This is super tricky and touchy for most fans. The cancer that is Freeman contract is plan as day. And already Ito Smith looks like a solid replacement in my eyes. While I don't really want to see him leave the team I did keep Coleman on a better deal and to me Freeman's best days are behind him. 

As stated above this is very hard to predict, but this all make sense. And both are on contracts that every Falcons Fan looks at and grunts in a disapproving way. Easing this load is key t the plan. 

Trades -

Freeman (Trade) 4th - A shame ,but a future 4th would be perfect compensation for a RB that has wheels left not with this team. A team in the AFC would pay a 4th or less for him and after restructuring his deal teams and would be happy to take him. This would free a tiny bit of cap and open a horde of snaps and a open slot for RBs currently on the roster who need them * Cough cough Ito Smith *.

Vic (Trade) 3rd - It's time for me to eat crow, but not before explaining myself first. Vic is a good player. No doubt in my mind he has the ability to be a 3rd down OLB/DE for a team. But imo DQ muffed this one badly. Without proper training and the pass-rush being non existent I feel Vic was thrown into the DE spot and wasted. With that said.... I was wrong about Vic as a 3 down player and concede to the anti Vic crowd. 

Alford ( Trade ) 5th - Alford's time has come. The last of the Mike Smith boys are all but gone and with Oliver has just opened the door for Alford to get the boot. Why try to stop the inevitable? Alford has played with a " Live by the Sword and die by the Sword " Mentality. So we trade him for a 5th and call it a day. May he have a good time on some other team and blow it up there.

Nothing Grinds my gears like trades, but unless we makes all of these cut they still make sense. 12.5 Milly for Vic is insane. Freeman and the injuries / Cap hit is dumb with or without Coleman. Alford is like drinking poison each week and hoping for it to cure cancer. Of course these are hard to predict and imagine, but that is the fun of it. 

Cuts - ( *FA walked )

Reed - Saving a cool $4,500,000 milly would be nice. The only Cut I have tbh, but it is one we need to make.

*Shelby DT - BYE

*McClain DT  - BYE

*Langford RB - WHO?

*Hardy WR - Man I don't want him to go, but he would be solid for a new team, and Calvin took his spot.

*Andy Levitre G - Feel SUPER BAD about this one. Like how do you cut this man who just had a kid/kids and

*Matt Schaub QB - BYE 

*Ben Garland G - Sad face reacts only for our boy. Pour one for him.

*Logan Paulson TE - Later Gator

*Bethel CB - BYE

*Poole CB/SS - This is tough.... Keeping him means we would have to put a second round tender on him for 2.5 million. I just don't see that happening dudes. 

*Ishmael LB/SS - May his shiny grills flourish somewhere. 

*Condo LS - WHO?

*Richards SS - BYE

*Carter LB - Kinda sad. Oh well am I right?

Out of all the guys here only Poole makes me upset that he moves one. And that is not a bad thing. DQ can replace hit value imo with a new UDFA. All the rest are dead weight for us.

Now before I get to this draft... I'm not 100% sure of each round grade for that player ( Not that I don't know where they belong mind you. I just don't think these guys will all be  in the rounds I have them in or will go as early as I have them going). I do however believe that coupled with the traded picks this can be accomplished. Again this is just the Blue collar down to the grind draft. Nothing sexy or flamboyant here. Just what the Falcons need.   

Draft -

Christian Wilkins DT - A blue collar 3T DT for year one with a hard nose attitude. This is what the Falcons with have close to their pick around 15 to 9. This is perfect because Wilkins takes over the second most 3T snaps for McClain. Grady + Takk + Wilkins is a mean group. 

Dexter Lawrence DT - The Fall is coming for this man. Unlike Vita Vea, Lawrence is a raw 3T, but a massive NT year one. Meany teams will let him go by into the second round because of the DT's in this group. He will need to lose weight and become better at hand fighting to truly be special at the next level.

Oshane Ximines DE  - Upside for day and would be a 3rd round guys for most teams. Might have a great combine that shoots him into round 2, but I see a bunch of work to be done with him. For now he is a SDE with good size and strength. Perfect for the Falcons to replace Brooks Reed with. 

Mitch Hyatt OT/G - SOLID work with Clemson for 4 to 5 year as a LT and LG. Kicked inside from LG to LT in his second year full time. In Atlanta He would be a backup LT / LG learning how to be a full time LG behind Wes. Would take him long to take Wes's spot imo.

Chase Hasan LB/S - Watched some of his tape of the week. Is a Hybrid LB/ S in Utah. with down hill stopping power. Love his vision and power. Can get stuck to blocks sometimes, but he would be the replacement for Campbell who I think is gone in 2020.

Miles Gaskin RB  - A drafted RB that is quick and makes guys miss. I know we need a power back tbh, but I couldn't resist the temptation of adding him to a loaded group with Teco and Ito man.   

Kaden Smith TE - Stanford TE with a nose for the ball. Raw but has flashes of greatness. Would be the perfect fit with Hoop and Subert. 

Jordan Miller CB - Washington CB who got hurt this year. Dropped a bunch and imo won't be here, but there are plenty of CBs I would take here too. At the end of the day a late round CB would be perfect and if we used a earlier pick from the trades I could see it. Maybe a 4th.

Dru Samia G - Watched tape of him and he needs work. He has athleticism and power in his game. Would compliment our ZBS if we stay with that. 

Needs after Draft and FA that Falcons must add through cuts and UDFA - ST, CB competition, WR competition, FB competition.

All in I hope you enjoyed it. Was a fun idea and I'm looking forward to doing a new one later in 2019 when we have more clarity on picks, Cuts, FAs and more.

I'm not sure Wilkins is worth a top 15 pick. He's not in my top 5 DT in this draft.

I can't see Kaden Smith falling that far. He'll likely go in the first 2 rounds.

I like the idea of trading the likes of Beasley, Alford & Freeman but I think it very unlikely they hold much trade value.

Overall... Meh.

12 hours ago, HEIST said:

I dont like* it honestly. 

If Ito is already ready for showtime, then let Teco walk and draft a RB. The DTs we draft aren't helping us get off the field on 3rd down.

I mean.... Sounds like you are already set on a player or something.

Sorry I didn't add the guy you wanted.

14 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I don’t like Gaskin. The draft is just ok. I love the thinking of Line heavy, but this is just a bunch of average players and we stay the same pretty much. Trading Beasley isn’t going to make you better. Keep him another year and see what you can do. 

I’m a fan and subbed, but I don’t like this mock very much.

Thank you for subbing fam.

Idk why you think these are average players. Most of these guys are hard working and would fit our needs. I wasn't looking to wow people with this mock. It's all about adding depth and being blue collar. Not about flash.

Vic is not worth 12.5 million. More like sub 7mil tbh. Bring Bruce back would be better than paying Vic imo.

As for RBs man..... tbh I don't really know what to do with: Freeman who is a cancer contract due to injuries and Ito doing better, Coleman who might be back/ walking to a new team ( AJC is lying about him wanting 30mil to get clicks man) and Ito who is the future imo.

Just my 2 cent.

19 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

I'm not sure Wilkins is worth a top 15 pick. He's not in my top 5 DT in this draft.

I can't see Kaden Smith falling that far. He'll likely go in the first 2 rounds.

I like the idea of trading the likes of Beasley, Alford & Freeman but I think it very unlikely they hold much trade value.

Overall... Meh.

Don't hate this assessment tbh.

After Williams who is the next top DT?

Oliver is not a DT at sub 280. More like a DE with very little passrush moves.

Simmons had that off the field issue and you and I both know the FO when they see that silliness lol.

Gary is close to what you want but injury and low athleticism scares me.

DeX us a true NT but we don't really need that in the top 15.

Brown is another true NT year one. Like him, but not top 10 to me.

So what do you have left at DT? The top need and you have nothing but Wilkins at that point.

Ok lol. 

100% right on Kaden Smith, but I didn't use any of my traded picks. So imo it could still be a thing.

6 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Wouldn't get anything higher than maybe a 6th for him though.

Fowler got a 3rd.... If we debate this based on the fact rumors said teams offered a 4th then add the production he has had up to now I could see a team give us a 4th or higher imo. 

6th seems like you are lowballing, but that is just how I'm reading it and maybe you are coming off a different way lol.

Hard to understand sometimes how* someone is coming across through text lol.

Edited by Unintentional Grounding

16 minutes ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

Fowler got a 3rd.... If we debate this based on the fact rumors said teams offered a 4th then add the production he has had up to now I could see a team give us a 4th or higher imo. 

6th seems like you are lowballing, but that is just how I'm reading it and maybe you are coming off a different way lol.

Hard to understand sometimes how* someone is coming across through text lol.

A sixth only because he's still on his rookie contract.  A team could wait until after the season and get him at their own price.  

1 hour ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

Thank you for subbing fam.

Idk why you think these are average players. Most of these guys are hard working and would fit our needs. I wasn't looking to wow people with this mock. It's all about adding depth and being blue collar. Not about flash.

Vic is not worth 12.5 million. More like sub 7mil tbh. Bring Bruce back would be better than paying Vic imo.

As for RBs man..... tbh I don't really know what to do with: Freeman who is a cancer contract due to injuries and Ito doing better, Coleman who might be back/ walking to a new team ( AJC is lying about him wanting 30mil to get clicks man) and Ito who is the future imo.

Just my 2 cent.

I was NEVER a fan of Freeman and as far as Beasley? Don’t pay him that much. 

I love Coleman. Best back we have. Listen. The Off season you have is perfect, but if it isn’t time to resign Beasley then what’s the point? See what you can get out of him in rotation with Irvin. Don’t jump the gun. I blame the fall off on Quinn and Manuel.

I love your first two picks, then you lose me. I’ll look again, but right now I’m just meh. I’m a believer you don’t have to draft depth players to have depth.

I love Kaden Smith btw. Just not much else. I enjoyed the show. They look long, but are very fun and well done. Best football show on YouTube.

On 28/12/2018 at 5:33 PM, Unintentional Grounding said:

Don't hate this assessment tbh.

After Williams who is the next top DT?

Oliver is not a DT at sub 280. More like a DE with very little passrush moves.

Simmons had that off the field issue and you and I both know the FO when they see that silliness lol.

Gary is close to what you want but injury and low athleticism scares me.

DeX us a true NT but we don't really need that in the top 15.

Brown is another true NT year one. Like him, but not top 10 to me.

So what do you have left at DT? The top need and you have nothing but Wilkins at that point.

Ok lol. 

100% right on Kaden Smith, but I didn't use any of my traded picks. So imo it could still be a thing.

Oliver is #2. I don't care much for his size, he plays with quickness and leverage making him one of the better run stoppers in this class. I like his upside as a pass rusher more than Wilkins due to his elite short area quickness. He moves like a linebacker. He played a lot of 1 and 0 technique in a 3 man front this year, whilst being constantly doubled or tripled. Next to Grady he'll do a lot of damage.

I've got Rashan Gary at #3. I think he was misused at Michigan. Low athleticism? The guy is a freak who runs a sub 4.6 forty... Link. He provides versatility to play some base end as well.

I've got Simmons at #4. Special talent and arguably the best interior rusher in the class, but I can't see us taking him with that video out there.

#5 Derrick Brown

Then it gets murky with Raekwon Davis, Dremont Jones & Wilkins.