Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew4719

Matt Ryan vs. Aaron Rodgers Since 2015

121 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It’s not just ATL. I was in Houston few months back, the guy at ***** sporting goods was saying ATL would have had 2-3 SB if Vick was QB not Ryan. He was saying Falcons should draft a new QB. I laughed hard and left.

^Me at Ryan haters.

Geneaut and falcons007 like this

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

^Me at Ryan haters.

I doubt it’s all hate,  he is boring player who plays for boring team. If he played for cowboys or GB it would be different. Lot of folks outside are surprised when they see stats of Ryan comparable to Manning. He will quietly retire and then every one will realize.

Ergo Proxy and Geneaut like this

On 12/27/2018 at 0:44 AM, Drew4719 said:

This post was inspired by something PriMe TiiMe said about Aaron Rodgers in another thread earlier today, so props to him for giving me the idea.

Aaron Rodgers put up better numbers than Matt Ryan for most of the two Quarterbacks first 7 years as starters, but in the 4 years since I think you’ll find that Matt has been as good, if not better than Aaron. I know at least some of you are familiar with Pro Football Reference, that is where these numbers are from. I hope this will change the way some of you think about these two QBs.

Matt Ryan’s numbers from 2015-2018

Games  QBrec     Cmp    Att   Cmp%  Yds     TD  

63     35-28-0    1513  2241  67.5    18176  112  

TD%  Int  Int% Y/A   Y/G     Rate       

5       41  1.8    8.1   288.5  101.2

Aaron Rodger’s numbers from 2015-2018

Games  QBrec     Cmp    Att   Cmp%   Yds     TD  

54     30-23-1    1271  2012  63.2     14340  112  

TD%   Int  Int% Y/A   Y/G     Rate

5.6     23  1.1    7.1   265.6   98.2

So, since 2015 Matt has thrown for 23 more yards per game, while completing 4.3% more of his passes, with a QB rating 3 points higher. They’ve thrown the same number of TDs while matt has 18 more INTs. Now, Rodgers missed 9 games last year, so while he would have more TD passes if he didn’t, he would also have more interceptions, and who knows how many of Ryan’s 41 INTs have bounced off of his receivers hands. The most damming stat of all against Aaron Rodgers is that Noodle Armed, Can’t-Throw-Deep Matt Ryan, is an entire yard higher than him in Yards Per Attempt over this span. 

Here is the average 16 game season from each player over the last four years(completion%, Y/A, and QB rating for both guys would obviously be the same as the numbers already given above):

Matt Ryan

4616 Yards  28 TDs  10 INTs

Aaron Rodgers

4249 Yards  33 TDs   7 INTs

Now I know some of you will be quick to point out the difference in TDs and INTs, but I have good explanations for both.

Over the last four years(obviously not as much this year, R.I.P. run game), and really throughout Matt Ryan’s career, we have favored punching the ball in on the ground once we get inside the 5 yard-line, while the packers have struggled to run the ball effectively, leading to many 1 or 2 yard Rodgers TD passes. Since 2015 our backs and receivers have scored 52 rushing TDs, while the packers skill position players have only 37 rushing scores in that span.

As for the interceptions, if you’ve watched many packers games you’ll notice that Rodgers throws the ball away quite often rather than attempting a risky throw that might result in a turnover. This is a big reason why he only has 2 INTs this year, but overall, his team has suffered as a result of these wasted plays. And of course, I’ve already mentioned how many of Matt’s recent INTs literally hit his receivers in the hands.

Finally, the most important Ryan vs. Rodgers stat of all is a 5-4(3-1 in the last four years) record in favor of the Falcons when the two QBs face off, which includes the two NFC championship games.

I’m sure some of you will love this post and sing Matt Ryan’s praises, while others will still say he sucks and continue to hold up Rodgers on a pedestal. As for myself, I am just the messenger :D

The Falcons have been a much better team across the board talent wise in that time period as well. 

On 12/27/2018 at 2:22 AM, mqg96 said:

Nah, I've backed up Matt Ryan a lot but I have to disagree here. On the offensive side of the ball Aaron Rodgers clearly hasn't had as much help as Matt Ryan yet Aaron Rodgers has been more impressive on a consistent basis, even with the injuries Rodgers has had. His defenses have been nearly the same or as mediocre as Matt Ryan's. His O-line has always been suspect like Matt Ryan. His running game has actually been worse than Matt Ryan over the 2015-2018 stretch overall. Aaron Rodgers doesn't have anywhere near the type of weapons that Matt Ryan has. 

Love Matt, but I'm with you.  If Aaron Rodgers had the personnel Matt has had around him over the last few years he gets at least one more ring during that time.

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Flacco has a ring. Is he better than Ryan? And I'm not suggesting Ryan is better than Rodgers. I just think the ring argument is pretty invalid

The ring argument doesn’t work with Nick Foles either. Joe Flacco would have barely lasted in Atlanta. 

9 hours ago, Waterjabbers said:

Love Matt, but I'm with you.  If Aaron Rodgers had the personnel Matt has had around him over the last few years he gets at least one more ring during that time.

Rodgers should have had 2-3 SB with the roster he had till 2014. He joined a team which went to NFCG in 2007. Rodgers had great weapons Ryan could only dream off till 2012.2013. Matt Flynn threw for 6 TD in 2011 as back up. They had crazy weapons.

Rodgers had Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Finley and Jordy Nelson from his first year in NFL. 

Matt is still somehow underrated after an MVP. That’s nuts 

Rodgers is better, but the gap is tiny. 

Rodgers is also a BAD teammate which is bad for winning. It’s one of the intangibles that matters. He’s not a leader. 

Ergo Proxy and falconidae like this

On 12/27/2018 at 1:44 AM, Drew4719 said:

This post was inspired by something PriMe TiiMe said about Aaron Rodgers in another thread earlier today, so props to him for giving me the idea.

Aaron Rodgers put up better numbers than Matt Ryan for most of the two Quarterbacks first 7 years as starters, but in the 4 years since I think you’ll find that Matt has been as good, if not better than Aaron. I know at least some of you are familiar with Pro Football Reference, that is where these numbers are from. I hope this will change the way some of you think about these two QBs.

Matt Ryan’s numbers from 2015-2018

Games  QBrec     Cmp    Att   Cmp%  Yds     TD  

63     35-28-0    1513  2241  67.5    18176  112  

TD%  Int  Int% Y/A   Y/G     Rate       

5       41  1.8    8.1   288.5  101.2

Aaron Rodger’s numbers from 2015-2018

Games  QBrec     Cmp    Att   Cmp%   Yds     TD  

54     30-23-1    1271  2012  63.2     14340  112  

TD%   Int  Int% Y/A   Y/G     Rate

5.6     23  1.1    7.1   265.6   98.2

So, since 2015 Matt has thrown for 23 more yards per game, while completing 4.3% more of his passes, with a QB rating 3 points higher. They’ve thrown the same number of TDs while matt has 18 more INTs. Now, Rodgers missed 9 games last year, so while he would have more TD passes if he didn’t, he would also have more interceptions, and who knows how many of Ryan’s 41 INTs have bounced off of his receivers hands. The most damming stat of all against Aaron Rodgers is that Noodle Armed, Can’t-Throw-Deep Matt Ryan, is an entire yard higher than him in Yards Per Attempt over this span. 

Here is the average 16 game season from each player over the last four years(completion%, Y/A, and QB rating for both guys would obviously be the same as the numbers already given above):

Matt Ryan

4616 Yards  28 TDs  10 INTs

Aaron Rodgers

4249 Yards  33 TDs   7 INTs

Now I know some of you will be quick to point out the difference in TDs and INTs, but I have good explanations for both.

Over the last four years(obviously not as much this year, R.I.P. run game), and really throughout Matt Ryan’s career, we have favored punching the ball in on the ground once we get inside the 5 yard-line, while the packers have struggled to run the ball effectively, leading to many 1 or 2 yard Rodgers TD passes. Since 2015 our backs and receivers have scored 52 rushing TDs, while the packers skill position players have only 37 rushing scores in that span.

As for the interceptions, if you’ve watched many packers games you’ll notice that Rodgers throws the ball away quite often rather than attempting a risky throw that might result in a turnover. This is a big reason why he only has 2 INTs this year, but overall, his team has suffered as a result of these wasted plays. And of course, I’ve already mentioned how many of Matt’s recent INTs literally hit his receivers in the hands.

Finally, the most important Ryan vs. Rodgers stat of all is a 5-4(3-1 in the last four years) record in favor of the Falcons when the two QBs face off, which includes the two NFC championship games.

I’m sure some of you will love this post and sing Matt Ryan’s praises, while others will still say he sucks and continue to hold up Rodgers on a pedestal. As for myself, I am just the messenger :D

Rodgers's TD numbers are higher because he's really good at throwing the fade in the redzone. Matt Ryan is an amazing QB, but he cannot throw the fade (or he chooses not to, for whatever reason). IMHO of course.

I think Matt Ryan is a great quarterback.   I think Aaron Rodgers is a great quarterback.  I think Tom Brady, Drew Brees and some others are great quarterbacks.

Doesn't matter if one is considered greater than the other - it only matters that the quarterback is right for the system they are in - and gets the job done to keep them competitive every year and in contention for a playoff spot.

No quarterback (except maybe Brady) is going to be great every year and be able to do enough to overcome other team weaknesses, but if he's good enough to keep you in contention - and if you have the opportunity to get into the playoffs - where the team can try to win the Lombardi - then that's a ****ed good quarterback.

11 hours ago, The_Realist said:

Rodgers's TD numbers are higher because he's really good at throwing the fade in the redzone. Matt Ryan is an amazing QB, but he cannot throw the fade (or he chooses not to, for whatever reason). IMHO of course.

That’s may be true, but my point was that, while Rodgers has more TDs over the last four years, our offense has scored significantly more points than the packers over that time, so what does it matter? Rushing and passing TDs both count the same.

We’ve scored 150 more points than the packers over the past four seasons. An average of 411.5(25.7 ppg) points per season for us and 374(23.4) for them. Matt has to get a good amount of credit for our offense being more effective over this span.

Ergo Proxy likes this

15 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Rodgers's has a ring, Matt Ryan doesn't.  We know who is the better of the two as of now. 

Rings aren't solely reliant on qb talent.  Trent Dilfer has a ring.  Joe Flacco has a ring.  Rings are representative of the team, not individual.

On topic, I don't think anyone will honestly argue that Matt is more gifted a passer than Aaron.  For my money, from a physical trait standpoint Aaron is the GOAT.  I haven't seen any other QBs do what he has done over his career.  I can't stand the dude, but he is incredible.  Green Bay going from Favre to Rodgers is just insane.  Almost as insane as them only getting 2 rings combined.  Which again...rings is a team thing not an individual thing.  I don't know why that narrative even exists.

Edited by athell
Ergo Proxy and JD dirtybird21 like this

The one area where he stands out is in not turning the ball over. I agree he is overrated and GB should have achieved more.

9 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

That’s may be true, but my point was that, while Rodgers has more TDs over the last four years, our offense has scored significantly more points than the packers over that time, so what does it matter? Rushing and passing TDs both count the same.

We’ve scored 150 more points than the packers over the past four seasons. An average of 411.5(25.7 ppg) points per season for us and 374(23.4) for them. Matt has to get a good amount of credit for our offense being more effective over this span.

We've also had a really good run game. But when that dries up in the redzone, you gotta be able to punch it in. The packers FO has let that team disintegrate around Rodgers. I like your arguement though.