Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew4719

Matt Ryan vs. Aaron Rodgers Since 2015

121 posts in this topic

This post was inspired by something PriMe TiiMe said about Aaron Rodgers in another thread earlier today, so props to him for giving me the idea.

Aaron Rodgers put up better numbers than Matt Ryan for most of the two Quarterbacks first 7 years as starters, but in the 4 years since I think you’ll find that Matt has been as good, if not better than Aaron. I know at least some of you are familiar with Pro Football Reference, that is where these numbers are from. I hope this will change the way some of you think about these two QBs.

Matt Ryan’s numbers from 2015-2018

Games  QBrec     Cmp    Att   Cmp%  Yds     TD  

63     35-28-0    1513  2241  67.5    18176  112  

TD%  Int  Int% Y/A   Y/G     Rate       

5       41  1.8    8.1   288.5  101.2

Aaron Rodger’s numbers from 2015-2018

Games  QBrec     Cmp    Att   Cmp%   Yds     TD  

54     30-23-1    1271  2012  63.2     14340  112  

TD%   Int  Int% Y/A   Y/G     Rate

5.6     23  1.1    7.1   265.6   98.2

So, since 2015 Matt has thrown for 23 more yards per game, while completing 4.3% more of his passes, with a QB rating 3 points higher. They’ve thrown the same number of TDs while matt has 18 more INTs. Now, Rodgers missed 9 games last year, so while he would have more TD passes if he didn’t, he would also have more interceptions, and who knows how many of Ryan’s 41 INTs have bounced off of his receivers hands. The most damming stat of all against Aaron Rodgers is that Noodle Armed, Can’t-Throw-Deep Matt Ryan, is an entire yard higher than him in Yards Per Attempt over this span. 

Here is the average 16 game season from each player over the last four years(completion%, Y/A, and QB rating for both guys would obviously be the same as the numbers already given above):

Matt Ryan

4616 Yards  28 TDs  10 INTs

Aaron Rodgers

4249 Yards  33 TDs   7 INTs

Now I know some of you will be quick to point out the difference in TDs and INTs, but I have good explanations for both.

Over the last four years(obviously not as much this year, R.I.P. run game), and really throughout Matt Ryan’s career, we have favored punching the ball in on the ground once we get inside the 5 yard-line, while the packers have struggled to run the ball effectively, leading to many 1 or 2 yard Rodgers TD passes. Since 2015 our backs and receivers have scored 52 rushing TDs, while the packers skill position players have only 37 rushing scores in that span.

As for the interceptions, if you’ve watched many packers games you’ll notice that Rodgers throws the ball away quite often rather than attempting a risky throw that might result in a turnover. This is a big reason why he only has 2 INTs this year, but overall, his team has suffered as a result of these wasted plays. And of course, I’ve already mentioned how many of Matt’s recent INTs literally hit his receivers in the hands.

Finally, the most important Ryan vs. Rodgers stat of all is a 5-4(3-1 in the last four years) record in favor of the Falcons when the two QBs face off, which includes the two NFC championship games.

I’m sure some of you will love this post and sing Matt Ryan’s praises, while others will still say he sucks and continue to hold up Rodgers on a pedestal. As for myself, I am just the messenger :D

Edited by Drew4719

Nah, I've backed up Matt Ryan a lot but I have to disagree here. On the offensive side of the ball Aaron Rodgers clearly hasn't had as much help as Matt Ryan yet Aaron Rodgers has been more impressive on a consistent basis, even with the injuries Rodgers has had. His defenses have been nearly the same or as mediocre as Matt Ryan's. His O-line has always been suspect like Matt Ryan. His running game has actually been worse than Matt Ryan over the 2015-2018 stretch overall. Aaron Rodgers doesn't have anywhere near the type of weapons that Matt Ryan has. 

Lol thanks for the credit.

Rodgers is the better QB but he is one of the the golden boys and can do no wrong. No one in the media or even fans care he has a losing record over the last 2 seasons and he can't seem to stay healthy. No one cares his production has fallen off over that time frame as well. 

When something goes wrong for Rodgers, Brees or Brady everyone just blames everyone else around them. The Run Game, O-Line, Talent at Skill Positions, Defense, Coaching, etc. It's never those guys fault.

Yet when Ryan loses EVERYTHING is his fault. No one cares about the faults of the team around him like they do with the golden boys. Ryan is having an amazing season this year and no one cares because of our record. Anytime you mention Ryan, haters will just go "Well whats your record"? But when Brees was throwing for 5000+ every year and the Saints had 3 straight 7-9 seasons NO ONE CARED about their record, Just that Brees was killing it. "The defense sucks, That's the only reason they lose" 

I told a friend of mine on his podcast earlier this season I'd take Ryan straight up over Rodgers today. Rodgers has been overrrated lately. He doesn't get his feet held to the fire. When the Falcons lose, Ryan is part of the problem. When the Packers lose, Rodgers is untouchable. He's an all timer, but he's been ok lately. And people are blinded by the low INT numbers. That's because he'd rather throw it away more than most other QBs in the league. It's a farce. 

6 hours ago, gazoo said:

I ha e been saying for a while now Ryan is better than Rodgers. I make sure to point this out after we played them head to head in the playoffs twice as of late. 

In head to head playoff games, Ryan has run circles around him.

Sarcasm? 

7 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Nah, I've backed up Matt Ryan a lot but I have to disagree here. On the offensive side of the ball Aaron Rodgers clearly hasn't had as much help as Matt Ryan yet Aaron Rodgers has been more impressive on a consistent basis, even with the injuries Rodgers has had. His defenses have been nearly the same or as mediocre as Matt Ryan's. His O-line has always been suspect like Matt Ryan. His running game has actually been worse than Matt Ryan over the 2015-2018 stretch overall. Aaron Rodgers doesn't have anywhere near the type of weapons that Matt Ryan has. 

How has Aaron Rodgers pass-protection been suspect? He’s almost always had a better pass-blocking line than Matt Ryan throughout their careers. The reason he still takes a good number of sacks is because he holds the ball so long and dances around back there trying to make something happen.

I’ll give you that they've had no run game for most of his career, but Aaron Jones is a good back, the packers have just been too stubborn to run the ball. The reason they continue to be a pass-first team is that they like to  “pass block” like this to give Rodgers more time.

And, I’ve never understood why people say Rodgers has never had any “weapons”. The dude has had Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jermichael Finley, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jared Cook, Davonte Adams, and Jimmy Graham. Maybe none of those guys are as good as Roddy, Tony G, and Julio, but it not like they're bums off the street.

4dabirds, Ergo Proxy and VTCrunkler like this

If you go back to 2012 Matt and Aaron are not that far apart.

AR :

95 games

64% Cmp%

25552 yards ( 268.9 y/g )

206 TDs ( 2.2 per game )

42 INTs ( .44 per game )

7.6 y/a

251 sacks ( 2.6 per game )

MR

111 games

67% Cmp%

32104 yards ( 289.2 y/g )

198 TDs ( 1.8 per game )

86 INTs ( .77 per game )

7.8 y/a

235 sacks ( 2.1 per game )

Many people consider Aaron one of the greatest QBs ever, and Matt is just a notch under him basically for TDs and INTs. 

Just now, tl;dr said:

Aaron Rodgers is the most overrated player in the NFL. There I said it. 

I'm not sure I'd quite go to that level, but I think he has ridden on the coattails of some really superior work he did earlier in his career, and to a certain extent having people realize he does a lot of good work on a less than well-organized team for the last half of the decade.

Ergo Proxy likes this

3 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

How has Aaron Rodgers pass-protection been suspect? He’s almost always had a better pass-blocking line than Matt Ryan throughout their careers. The reason he still takes a good number of sacks is because he holds the ball so long and dances around back there trying to make something happen.

I’ll give you that they've had no run game for most of his career, but Aaron Jones is a good back, the packers have just been too stubborn to run the ball. The reason they continue to be a pass-first team is that they like to  “pass block” like this to give Rodgers more time.

And, I’ve never understood why people say Rodgers has never had any “weapons”. The dude has had Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jermichael Finley, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jared Cook, Davonte Adams, and Jimmy Graham. Maybe none of those guys are as good as Roddy, Tony G, and Julio, but it not like they're bums off the street.

At has had one of the top rated pass blocking lines during that span.  Put Rodgers behind our lines and see how well he performs.  

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

I'm not sure I'd quite go to that level, but I think he has ridden on the coattails of some really superior work he did earlier in his career, and to a certain extent having people realize he does a lot of good work on a less than well-organized team for the last half of the decade.

He's a very good QB, but people act like he is the greatest QB ever who is so far superior to anyone else. He's good, but not that good. The gap between the perception and reality of him is as large as anyone in the league. 

Geneaut likes this

8 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

If you go back to 2012 Matt and Aaron are not that far apart.

AR :

95 games

64% Cmp%

25552 yards ( 268.9 y/g )

206 TDs ( 2.2 per game )

42 INTs ( .44 per game )

7.6 y/a

251 sacks ( 2.6 per game )

MR

111 games

67% Cmp%

32104 yards ( 289.2 y/g )

198 TDs ( 1.8 per game )

86 INTs ( .77 per game )

7.8 y/a

235 sacks ( 2.1 per game )

Many people consider Aaron one of the greatest QBs ever, and Matt is just a notch under him basically for TDs and INTs. 

Greatest ever? GOAT is Brady. Rodgers can’t even hold Peyton Manning’s jock. 

Geneaut and Ergo Proxy like this

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Matt Ryan went through a total scheme change in 2015 and two new OC during that time. I don’t think this is a valid comparison.

The reason I chose to start with 2015 is because people though Matt Ryan sucked that year while he was learning the the WCO. People looked at Rodgers 31-8 TD-INT ratio and thought he played well, while ignoring that he didn’t throw for 4,000 yards, while averaging a paltry 6.7 Y/A, and barley completed 60% of his passes.

Edited by Drew4719
Ergo Proxy and Falcons In 2012 like this

7 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I’m with you. I appreciate the write up that OP put together. Ryan is a great player and probably one of the most underrated players of the last 10 years. But Rodgers does do more with less. Plain and simple. He’s the best QB I’ve ever seen in terms of individual talent. He can make throws that are simply unreal. Ryan is my guy. But I’m very ok in accepting that he’s not Aaron Rodgers. 

7 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Matt Flynn a GB back up QB threw 6 TD in a game the year Rodgers won the MVP. Rodgers for most part of his career had loaded weapons. Rodgers best years were when Jordy Nelson was healthy. That’s how the GB killed Falcons in 2010 playoffs, line up 5 Wide. Our LB and CB in slot couldn’t match them and gave up big chunk of YAC.

Ergo Proxy and gazoo like this

1 hour ago, vel said:

I told a friend of mine on his podcast earlier this season I'd take Ryan straight up over Rodgers today. Rodgers has been overrrated lately. He doesn't get his feet held to the fire. When the Falcons lose, Ryan is part of the problem. When the Packers lose, Rodgers is untouchable. He's an all timer, but he's been ok lately. And people are blinded by the low INT numbers. That's because he'd rather throw it away more than most other QBs in the league. It's a farce. 

This is fair and pretty objective. But I also am a firm believer that this game is won by teams, not QB’s. IMO, Rodgers has had probably one of the worst rosters and coaching staffs of the last 3 years. There’s only one player that I can think of that’s successfully carried a terribly run organization, Peyton. I think people make excuses for Rodgers for the same reasons that Falcon fans make excuses for Ryan. They know he isn’t actually the problem

mqg96 likes this

5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

One of, brother. Just one of.

I would take Marino, Joe Montana and heck even Brees before him. Not even one of.. its too early in Rodgers career to talk about greatest ever.

Geneaut likes this