Marquand Manuel

atljbo

DvX3a3OX0BEio9S.jpg

I dont disagree with Coach Manuel .... I do think key guys to the way our scheme ran got hurt... Deion Jones is number one.... Neal is number 2.... Again PFF brought it up

How different could the Falcons’ season of been if not for an early injury to Deion Jones? He started off the game struggling to get ahold of Christian McCaffrey, but by the end, we were starting to see glimpses of one of the best linebackers in the league.

I feel like unless you going after a Kris Richards..... We should roll with  Manuel... At the end of 201 we had one of the best D's in the league and 2017 we had one of the best D's in the league.

I will say this tho... I feel like we took way to long to adjust to the injuries. I argued with someone on this board earlier in the year that we should blitz more.. We are having good success with that now.... But i do get that we can be more aggressive because we have a Deion Jones who is one of the best LBs in the league

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eagles game basically cost us the season. But when we scraped back to 4-4 we folded, especially on d and it did take too long to adjust. I'm not sure where I stand on mm after this season. If we are giving Sark one more year after last year, then don't you have to give mm one more year given the injuries? Is Kris Richards the answer?  

ST coach definitely needs replacement. 

MM is not the problem IMO. defense spent way to much time on the field this season and you can't have that with all the replacements on the field. Rocky and Tru didn't do him any favors either. I don't see how anyone could have a reasonable expectations that the defense could be better than it was this year, all things considered.

55 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

It’s funny how people will demand heads roll but then dude does one interview and all is forgiven. 

Truth of the matter is, we handed a SB caliber team to a college coach and a defensive assistant. I only blame Dan Quinn. Buck stops there.

Yep. People are so dramatic when they dont hsve to make the decision.  Glad they arent in charge 

I agree with you @atljbo on it taking too long to respond to injuries.  We need to start drafting good players for our second string.  Stop going after a 15 million dollar player and go after two players to make 7 million each.  Start drafting back and taking chances on those players to becoming a diamond in the rough to being a 15 million dollar player.  

Maybe even clean house or evaluate every player who makes over 10 a year.  

...... I know many disagree with this part. And it's why I wanted a top 5 draft pick.  

I’m a bit torn on MM.  He did a nice job last year, and it wasn’t Quinn calling the defense.  But this year was tough...and he can’t escape blame.  That being said, I think he is a few years away from being ready.  But I do think he will be a good one.  

Wish Quinn would take over next year but keep MM on as he Co-Defensive Coordinator to learn

Y'all really don't get it. My opinion is basically the same as D. Led who I heard on 92.9 (and this was before I listened to the podcast). Manuel isn't the problem. Quinn is. For the last time. Our defensive issues go back to 2015 and 2016. Our defense weren't good those years either but some people are still fooled into thinking those weren't any worse than Manuel. Quinn promoted Manuel and he has been with Quinn since the Seattle days. The 2017 defense may have been overrated (which I agree with) but our 2017 defense was the least worst or the best statistically in the Quinn era and that was the year Manuel took over as our DC. Manuel is the coordinator who's had to deal with the most injuries this season too. Injuries aren't an excuse, especially with how bad our overall coaching has been and it starts with Quinn, but you can't put it all on Manuel I'm sorry. I would get Sarkisian and Armstrong out of here ASAP before Manuel any day. 

Saying you coached them to best they've been in 20 heard ain't really saying **** , especially when u add the better player choices in draft,we always had shot def that why Quinn was hired to end that trend, and it's proving Much harder for them than anticipated

I was not a fan of Manuel from the beginning. He doesn't gameplan well. The things yall complain about with Sark are really the things you should be complaining about with Manuel. I've been saying it for over a year now but go ahead and hold on to the "top ten defense in 2017" lie cuz it makes you feel good

8 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

I agree with you @atljbo on it taking too long to respond to injuries.  We need to start drafting good players for our second string.  Stop going after a 15 million dollar player and go after two players to make 7 million each.  Start drafting back and taking chances on those players to becoming a diamond in the rough to being a 15 million dollar player.  

Maybe even clean house or evaluate every player who makes over 10 a year.  

...... I know many disagree with this part. And it's why I wanted a top 5 draft pick.  

The problem is there is always a drop off from a top tier Pro Bowl player to a second stringer. No matter how talented. It sounds good in theory, but rarely in practice are second stringers sitting on the bench reach to replicate what the starter does. If that's the case, we have a coaching issue that isn't utilizing ALL of the talent he has. 

And there is a reason a $15MM dollar player is that player. Look at Mack and Donald. There are no two "$7MM players" that come close to replicate what they do alone. 

Like I said before, a great coordinator can still be successful when they lose some guys. For coach to point our how much 1 guy made a difference (Jones) is an indictment on him really. The defense was abysmal before Jones came back. I would get it if they were still “good” and he put them over the top, but can’t blame an injury to being arguably the worst D in the NFL for a good part of the season. I know we lost more then Jones but he chose to point out getting that one guy back.

this article isn’t going to change my feelings one way or another, and doubt it will skew Qs either. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with assistant coaches, especially after the tweets of some coaches having opposing views of how things should be done...

5 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Like I said before, a great coordinator can still be successful when they lose some guys. For coach to point our how much 1 guy made a difference (Jones) is an indictment on him really. The defense was abysmal before Jones came back. I would get it if they were still “good” and he put them over the top, but can’t blame an injury to being arguably the worst D in the NFL for a good part of the season. I know we lost more then Jones but he chose to point out getting that one guy back.

this article isn’t going to change my feelings one way or another, and doubt it will skew Qs either. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with assistant coaches, especially after the tweets of some coaches having opposing views of how things should be done...

That's my thing. One guy can sway a defense. I get that. But Manuel had no clue what to do once he lost Debo. He never adjusted until he saw Richards blitz the living heIl out of the Saints on national TV. That's why I never gave him room for excuse. He still had his starting corners and depth there. He had the players to run a high pressure scheme and the rope to do so, since everybody was hurt. Instead he went soft and timid until it was too late. 

He could not do anything about the injuries early on. Between the first 3-4 weeks we were without Deion Jones, Keanu Neal, Grady Jarrett and Takk McKinnley. Then we lost Ricardo Allen right after that. 

However that was all in the first 3-4 weeks and then we got Grady and Takk back, rebounded to 4-4 and all seemed to be going better. Thennnnnn, Cleveland and beyond came. Straight downhill.

He takes blame for that being the DC. Injury excuse only goes so far.

"I've coached this defense to the best it has in twenty years..."

Big deal.  That's a weak rationalization and it makes him sound job-scared.  You can't have a guy working for you who's afraid of getting fired because they base everything on covering their a##, not achieving excellence. 

I don't have anything against Manuel but he's not qualified at NFL level.  Sorry.