The only way the Falcons don't play the Eagles next year.

mqg96

The Eagles are a lock for 2nd place in the NFC East, even if they lose to the Redskins on Sunday. It's also looking like the Falcons are almost a lock for 2nd place in the NFC South as well, but there's still a scenario where we can finish 3rd but it's unlikely. Panthers would have to win in New Orleans against a Saints team who has already clinched home field advantage, so maybe they'll rest their players, AND we must lose to the Bucs. This would make the Panthers 7-9 and would make us tied for 3rd at 6-10 with the Bucs. It's impossible for the Falcons to finish 4th, which means Matt Ryan still hasn't and won't be finishing last in the division since he's been our QB. The Saints, Bucs, and Panthers have all been last at some point in Matt Ryan's career with the Falcons. Right now, it looks like this will be the 5th season in a row the Falcons face the Eagles including the playoffs and the 15th time out of 18 seasons we face the Eagles, more than any non-divisional opponent in our conference. 

Edited by mqg96

7 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Vikings will be 2nd place also. We need to whoop these physical teams butts!

That game in Minnesota is do or die for the Falcons in 2019. We have never beaten Mike Zimmer, but Kirk Cousins hardly beats teams who finished with winning records unless it's from his own division. You lose to Kirk Cousins you likely don't make the playoffs. That's the rule. 

35 minutes ago, fuego said:

Yep. We face the team that finished in the same place as us in the NFC East and the NFC North. 

And we are playing the AFC South and the NFC West.

When will we know when the AFC South schedule is home/away (I live near houston, want to see the falcons if they play in houston!)

34 minutes ago, emc008 said:

When will we know when the AFC South schedule is home/away (I live near houston, want to see the falcons if they play in houston!)

23 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Hope it’s at their place.  We need the practice.  Hopefully Foles continues dominating and they win the SB again.  It would be a mind **** to their FO.  They’d have to trade Wentz

It's in Houston. All of that is known a few years in advance. Just the dates aren't known until released. 

https://fbschedules.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/

38 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

But this time we play in Atlanta. Thankfully we don’t have to go play on Philly, Pennsylvania is the last place this team needs to be playing at. Kinda disappointed that we most likely don’t get to play Green Bay next year, but Minnesota is an interesting matchup as well. 

I'm actually glad we don't play the Packers in Green Bay next year either, especially in December where we're 0-6 all time. I'd rather play in Minnesota indoors. 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Hope it’s at their place.  We need the practice.  Hopefully Foles continues dominating and they win the SB again.  It would be a mind **** to their FO.  They’d have to trade Wentz

We've gone to Philly 3 times in a row. We've played in Pennsylvania way too many times at this point and Matt Ryan can't win in that state. Even against a Pittsburgh team without Big Ben starting 8 years ago. In 2017 the Eagles would have played in Atlanta but we drawed the Cowboys from the East that year and we played the Eagles in the playoffs where they had the higher seed. We played at home against the Eagles in 2003, 2005, 2009, 2011, and 2015. We've gone to Philly in 2002 (playoffs), 2004 (playoffs), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2016, 2017 (playoffs), and 2018. 

2 hours ago, fuego said:

Yep. We face the team that finished in the same place as us in the NFC East and the NFC North. 

And we are playing the AFC South and the NFC West.

In 2015 our AFC South home games were the Texans & Colts and our AFC South road games were the Titans & Jaguars. So in 2019 we're on the road vs. the Texans & Colts and we're at home vs. the Titans & Jaguars. In 2016 our NFC West home games were the Cardinals & 49ers and our NFC West road games were the Seahawks & Rams. So in 2019 we're on the road vs. the Cardinals & 49ers and we're at home vs. the Seahawks & Rams.

The 2019 AFC South will be the toughest the Falcons have ever faced. This is a completely different AFC South than the easy ones in 2011 and 2015, and we know how bad the Falcons have been against the AFC lately. The NFC West in 2019 is probably halfway between 2013 and 2016 in difficulty, but the odd years facing the NFC West like 2007 and 2013 were bad for us. 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

That would probably be one of the funniest things to happen in the NFL. I'd love to see that craziness that'd ensue.

3 hours ago, mqg96 said:

That game in Minnesota is do or die for the Falcons in 2019. We have never beaten Mike Zimmer, but Kirk Cousins hardly beats teams who finished with winning records unless it's from his own division. You lose to Kirk Cousins you likely don't make the playoffs. That's the rule. 

Too bad we didn't play them in 2016 in weeks 10-17. Matt Ryan would have scored 35-40 points on them b****es! Lol :)

1 hour ago, RubberDucky said:

That would probably be one of the funniest things to happen in the NFL. I'd love to see that craziness that'd ensue.

Y'all realize Nick Foles  led the Eagles to a 10-6 record and a division title in 2013? People have completely forgotten about that season for him and he was only in his 2nd year in the league. He set records that year too. Nick Foles has never been bad I keep telling y'all that. Ironically he came from the same high school Drew Brees came from. Both won Super Bowls with Malcolm Jenkins on their teams. 

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

Y'all realize Nick Foles  led the Eagles to a 10-6 record and a division title in 2013? People have completely forgotten about that season for him and he was only in his 2nd year in the league. He set records that year too. Nick Foles has never been bad I keep telling y'all that. Ironically he came from the same high school Drew Brees came from. Both won Super Bowls with Malcolm Jenkins on their teams. 

I dont think he's bad at all. I just think it would lead to a very messed up situation for the Eagles...and I would find that hilarious.

8 hours ago, mqg96 said:

The Eagles are a lock for 2nd place in the NFC East, even if they lose to the Redskins on Sunday. It's also looking like the Falcons are almost a lock for 2nd place in the NFC South as well, but there's still a scenario where we can finish 3rd but it's unlikely. Panthers would have to win in New Orleans against a Saints team who has already clinched home field advantage, so maybe they'll rest their players, AND we must lose to the Bucs. This would make the Panthers 7-9 and would make us tied for 3rd at 6-10 with the Bucs. It's impossible for the Falcons to finish 4th, which means Matt Ryan still hasn't and won't be finishing last in the division since he's been our QB. The Saints, Bucs, and Panthers have all been last at some point in Matt Ryan's career with the Falcons. Right now, it looks like this will be the 5th season in a row the Falcons face the Eagles including the playoffs and the 15th time out of 18 seasons we face the Eagles, more than any non-divisional opponent in our conference. 

I have no idea what you're getting at man.

10 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I know everyone hates the Eagles but this is what I am rooting for. Foles sneaks the Eagles into the playoffs then goes on a run again and beats Tom Brady AGAIN. Oh how hilarious it would be. 

Not to mention the Eagles get revenge on the Saints after they got embarrassed by them earlier in the year.

6 hours ago, 81KJW said:

I have no idea what you're getting at man.

Just do the simulation online. >>> http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

You know the 2 teams we draw from the divisions we don't play in its entirety are based on the place we finish in our division every year. Just do Panthers win + Bucs win (Falcons loss), that's the only way we finish 3rd in our division. The Eagles are a lock for 2nd in their division, win or lose. Any other scenario the Falcons finish 2nd in the division and we play the Eagles again next season. 

4 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I know everyone hates the Eagles but this is what I am rooting for. Foles sneaks the Eagles into the playoffs then goes on a run again and beats Tom Brady AGAIN. Oh how hilarious it would be. 

Not to mention the Eagles get revenge on the Saints after they got embarrassed by them earlier in the year.

The Eagles were also the last team to win in New Orleans in the playoffs back in 1993, before that the 1991 Falcons, however, Brees and Payton are undefeated at home in the postseason. 

I assume the game against the Eagles would be in our domain at least if we both finish 2nd? 

And, if we played Minnesota, the game would logically be there but better in a dome than an open field like Green Bay (this year)?

Our entire schedule could actually end up being rather weather-friendly?

6 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

I assume the game against the Eagles would be in our domain at least if we both finish 2nd? 

And, if we played Minnesota, the game would logically be there but better in a dome than an open field like Green Bay (this year)?

Our entire schedule could actually end up being rather weather-friendly?

In terms of the teams we draw yes, but the NFC West and AFC South won't be any easier as I've already explained above. 

4 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

In terms of the teams we draw yes, but the NFC West and AFC South won't be any easier as I've already explained above. 

It really is too soon to predict how good the rest of the NFL will be next year - I would have been scared of the Jaguars to start this year, but they now appear a bunch of rollovers.  The 49ers would have scared me to start this year, but they lost their QB early and are now just mediocre at best (of course he will be back but how good?).  And, the Cardinals would like a gift win for us right now, but who knows what they could do in the offseason to become good.