Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheyakita

Why can’t Quinn handle the DC job?

32 posts in this topic

If I recall correctly he took over the last half of 2016 and the defense had much improved performance. I’m pretty sure their are a ton of successful teams out there with head coaches calling the offense or defense. Before we scapegoat Sark seems like Manuel is the obvious weaker link.

Because DQ has to over see the big picture.

MM is on the spot for sure but I want to see what the defense looks like with everyone back and a few new additions.

Sark has had Greg Knapp up in the box to help him.I was looking for more consistency but that’s whats been missing in Sarks tenure the lack there of and here in lies why I believe we need experience that side of the ball so DQ can shorten MMs leash and have more of a say on the defensive side of the ball.

5 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I really think the Falcons should hire an Assistant Head coach to help Quinn with some of the admin stuff so he can be more involved or even run the defense.

Raheem  Morris was in  2016

Edited by Falconsin2012

15 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I really think the Falcons should hire an Assistant Head coach to help Quinn with some of the admin stuff so he can be more involved or even run the defense.

Agreed. He should copy what Mcvay did in LA. Hire a coach who helps with time management.

JDaveG, Drew4719 and HASHBROWN3 like this

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

From someone that I know who knows Manuel, he claims Manuel is going to step down. 

Manuel & Armstrong would be good starting places.  I’m neutral on Sark right now but we need to whack some guys.  

DB & Oline coaches??  Bryant Young?

who knows?

Cole World and UK13 like this

Morris is still listed as assistant head coach, but I am not sure what he does. 

Quinn definitely needs someone else to decide when to call timeouts amd throw challenge flags.

Lots of HC's call plays in the NFL. The assertion that Quinn can't do it regularly because he has to oversee so many other things should be absurd unless you take the position that he has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

"Calling the shots: NFL head coaches who refuse to give up playcalling -https://es.pn/2mroYg6 "

Dan Reeves, Holmgren and many others in the past have called the offensive plays. 

Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, and Rex Ryan all called the defensive plays... and Quinn has done it himself at times as well. If he can't find anyone as good or better than himself at it, then he should do it.

rounz likes this

1 minute ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Morris is still listed as assistant head coach, but I am not sure what he does. 

Quinn definitely needs someone else to decide when to call timeouts amd throw challenge flags.

Lots of HC's call plays in the NFL. The assertion that Quinn can't do it regularly because he has to oversee so many other things should be absurd unless you take the position that he has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

"Calling the shots: NFL head coaches who refuse to give up playcalling -https://es.pn/2mroYg6 "

Dan Reeves, Holmgren and many others in the past have called the offensive plays. 

Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, and Rex Ryan all called the defensive plays... and Quinn has done it himself at times as well. If he can't find anyone as good or better than himself at it, then he should do it.

If Raheem isn’t a positive influence on DQ in multiple ways then he should go too. 

I still don’t understand where he fits in & why.  DQ is a guy who always has a plan but I don’t know what that looks like with Morris. Maybe someone has more knowledge on this.

I love how AB doesn’t really interfere with football operations, but if I were in his shoes, I would challenge DQ to start calling the defense next year. His feel of putting players in a position to succeed and calling the plays is a HUGE reason he was brought here. Let the man do what he’s good at, like others have said; we can bring in an assistant to help with game management and what not.

GreggT, kiwifalcon and Cheyakita like this

1 hour ago, Precyse said:

Have you seen our defense since Debo has come back? 

MLB Jones means a lot. The Falcons need to scout a back-up MLB - who may be a good-enough to be 80% of what he means to this defense.

Quinn can't handle simple game-management and now we want him to be worrying about defensie calls as well... The less Quinn has on his plate during gameday the better. 

GreggT likes this

Nick Saban and Kirby Smart have defensive coordinators and they do fantastic. Its the SCHEME.   Quinn running a simple scheme that offensive coordinators tear apart.  You can have Belichick over there running that scheme and would get the SAME results...

Faithful Falcon likes this

12 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Nick Saban and Kirby Smart have defensive coordinators and they do fantastic. Its the SCHEME.   Quinn running a simple scheme that offensive coordinators tear apart.  You can have Belichick over there running that scheme and would get the SAME results...

Apples and Oranges. This is the NFL, not the NCAA

Can we stop assuming that DC is the problem? HC is our problem. Our defense was no better when Quinn took over calling plays in 2016. Quinn F'd up, and Richard Smith took the fall. Now Marquand Manuel is about to be sacrificed.

GreggT likes this

14 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Because DQ has to over see the big picture.

MM is on the spot for sure but I want to see what the defense looks like with everyone back and a few new additions.

Sark has had Greg Knapp up in the box to help him.I was looking for more consistency but that’s whats been missing in Sarks tenure the lack there of and here in lies why I believe we need experience that side of the ball so DQ can shorten MMs leash and have more of a say on the defensive side of the ball.

I think you to solve the problem why we are 7 at 9. Greg Knapp sucks at the job

20 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Can we stop assuming that DC is the problem? HC is our problem. Our defense was no better when Quinn took over calling plays in 2016. Quinn F'd up, and Richard Smith took the fall. Now Marquand Manuel is about to be sacrificed.

Our defense got no better? I remember a double in turnovers and and way less shootouts than the beginning of the season because we started to allow less points

1 hour ago, Precyse said:

Our defense got no better? I remember a double in turnovers and and way less shootouts than the beginning of the season because we started to allow less points

Have you ever heard the term "The best defense is a good Offense"?  Fast Forward to the Super Bowl. Belichick coached the perfect Chess Match.

I don't get why people think DQ is sitting with TD and Mr. Blank passively watching things unfold.  DQ is on the field watching what is going on able to change whatever he wants when he wants.  Especially when it comes to the defense, he is either indifferent or just as culpable.  I say the latter and that if MM is fired, he's just a scapegoat.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 0:05 PM, jstammer said:

DQ has enough trouble managing when to call time outs, challenge a play, clap his hands, come up with a new tshirt slogan, etc. to oversee the defensive play calling as well. 

Boom! :lol:

4 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I don't get why people think DQ is sitting with TD and Mr. Blank passively watching things unfold.  DQ is on the field watching what is going on able to change whatever he wants when he wants.  Especially when it comes to the defense, he is either indifferent or just as culpable.  I say the latter and that if MM is fired, he's just a scapegoat.

That's hard to quantify, possible very true, but I just don't know how hands on he was with the defense this year. I voting that MM was the bigger, weak link, and he should go.