falconidae

Sigh, sad when you're looking at other teams winning on the last Sunday of the year to improve your draft position. ESPN Projects the 11th spot for Falcons

80 posts in this topic

Man, I thought this was going to be a great year for the Falcons, instead it became Murhpy's law as applied to Falcons' football. Ended up enjoying working most Sundays this year. 

So, guys at ESPN did one of those projections where they play each remaining game of the schedule out 50 K times, has the Falcons drafting right outside the top ten at 11.  If it works out like that, be a pretty good spot to draft from.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25117609/2019-nfl-draft-order-projected-first-round-picks-1-32-date-tracker-results#order

I get the logic of tanking, but in reality you're building on next season.  Winning out -- even against bad teams -- sets a tone that is hard to set when your end-of-season mindset is "we should lose these games and we have nothing to play for."

Play for your brothers.  Let the rest sort itself out.

Also, hope the Saints get bounced from the playoffs because nobody needs that nonsense in our house.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I get the logic of tanking, but in reality you're building on next season.  Winning out -- even against bad teams -- sets a tone that is hard to set when your end-of-season mindset is "we should lose these games and we have nothing to play for."

Play for your brothers.  Let the rest sort itself out.

Also, hope the Saints get bounced from the playoffs because nobody needs that nonsense in our house.

I get the logic of thinking meaningless games have some sort of intrinsic value to these Falcons players, but considering most players on the roster were a part of the worst SB collapse in history, I think a non-implication game vs Tampa wont do much for or against their offseason mindset.

25 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I get the logic of thinking meaningless games have some sort of intrinsic value to these Falcons players, but considering most players on the roster were a part of the worst SB collapse in history, I think a non-implication game vs Tampa wont do much for or against their offseason mindset.

Also I don’t know we why are trying to fool ourselves. These players are playing for money. If they are trying to play their best, it’s because they want a job next year. Has nothing do with pride.

Edited by 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit
sdogg and PokerSteve like this

I certainly hope the Falcons are able to improve the on-field personnel with the draft. However, I'm more concerned with the Falcons improving the defensive play in general. It will not matter who gets drafted if the Falcons start next season with the same defensive approach that has crippled this teams ability to win games. The fundamentals (tackling & communication) need to be a primary focus for this team. It's one thing to not be as talented on defense as you need to be, but it is a complete failure when the defense (particularly veteran players) looks unable to be in the right position to make plays to stop the run or defend a pass. Everything about the Falcons defense is bad and new player talent is not going to fix it. We need a good DC.

PokerSteve likes this

12 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Also I don’t know we why are trying to fool ourselves. These players are playing for money. If they are trying to play their best, it’s because they want a job next year. Has nothing do with pride.

Bingo. Same with Quinn. He’s coaching to win to keep his job. 

sdogg likes this

If we lose we have a chance at jumping as high as the 5th pick. Our SOS is so low that we will be in front of any team in the top 10 that we have the same record as. 

Edited by shock

Too much bipolar going on over our draft pick spot.

Rather glad to see we have a heart entering the offseason. The myopic vision is truly a case of “cant see the forest for the trees” mental problem.

You “think” draft position equates to great chances next year and nothing else is part of that formula. Momentum. Heart. Pride. Chemistry. Leadership.

Those have been shown these last couple weeks. If those carry over at all, plus a better job by the FO on the entire offseason; instead of letting them off easy with a single top 5-7 pick and tunneling on this one aspect? Let them squirm around 10 and make them optimize moving up vs moving back.

Guys fall every year. We got a rookie late round 1 last year in Ridley that will be a huge part of our future. Dude is a ball player. An amazing first year for a WR to build on.

DL is supposed to be loaded this draft. Not every player will pan out regardless of draft position; look back at drafts of years past and see who got passed on. Happens every year.

We also have way more potential entering FA than our terrible FA this past offseason. More room to work with.

But keep wallowing in the idea a few spots will make the difference. It’s all about the big picture and making all moves count.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

It’s all about who you really are as a man. 

Are you a tanker in life or are you a fighter?

Do you have pride or do you not?

I won’t tank. And I don’t want to see my team turn into sellout cowards either.

Who are you?  Most here have shown who they are already. Do you have a willingness to compromise your values for a better draft position?  I find it quite interesting to watch how easily some sell out.  Go ahead sissies... tank away ladies.  Just don’t come back next year & start using words like soft & getting upset if we take our foot off an opponent’s neck or criticize the team when you’re nothing but a two faced pansy lmao.  :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Who are you?  Most here have shown who they are already. Do you have a willingness to compromise your values for a better draft position?  I find it quite interesting to watch how easily some sell out.  Go ahead sissies... tank away ladies.  Just don’t come back next year & start using words like soft & getting upset if we take our foot off an opponent’s neck or criticize the team when you’re nothing but a two faced pansy lmao.  :rolleyes:

You asking some **** good questions.  I’m just going to sit back and...:munch:

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Has there ever been a team that really, deliberately tanked?

I mean, went out there and said to each other, "OK now, don't forget to play badly".

Because I think tanking is different from a coach losing a team, or a team giving up because they feel outmatched

HASHBROWN3 and Ergo Proxy like this

1 hour ago, 4dabirds said:

I certainly hope the Falcons are able to improve the on-field personnel with the draft. However, I'm more concerned with the Falcons improving the defensive play in general. It will not matter who gets drafted if the Falcons start next season with the same defensive approach that has crippled this teams ability to win games. The fundamentals (tackling & communication) need to be a primary focus for this team. It's one thing to not be as talented on defense as you need to be, but it is a complete failure when the defense (particularly veteran players) looks unable to be in the right position to make plays to stop the run or defend a pass. Everything about the Falcons defense is bad and new player talent is not going to fix it. We need a good DC.

I think first and foremost you can forget the DC.

How bout we get all of our defensive starters back with a couple of new additions. I personally think the defense is plenty good enough just needs all the pieces back.

You talk tackling and communication well add Neal and Allen back that ties up your backend and you can already see the difference with Debo back add those other 2 we probably win a lot of those close games we lost.

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Let’s destroy Tampa and get this off season going on a good note.  We will get 2-3 impact players in the draft

Here’s the problem with that and it’s not draft related.

The Falcons look better beating teams in much worse shape than the Falcons and it skews things.

Suddenly people forget how bad the Falcons truly were.  They forget the best downs they took at the Packers, Browns, Ravens, Steelers, Saints, etc...

The Falcons beat teams where they’re still moving around guys on the oline AND have rookie/injured QBs playing and people think the Falcons offense and defense weren’t that bad.

Do yourselves a favor and go back and rewatch the Ravens and Packers game.  Especially the Packers game.  Just fired the HC and also had a banged up oline but that didn’t stop them from killing the Falcons

Look at the comments out there... let’s keep the OC.... let’s keep the DC

38 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Internet tough guy | INTERNET TOUGH GUY, I SENSE. A MAMA'S BOY, IN REAL LIFE IS. | image tagged in in 2013 yoda be like,internet tough guy,mama's boy | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You asking some **** good questions.  I’m just going to sit back and...:munch:

I realize this ain’t nothing but a message board but the questions are real.  Keep in mind it’s just a game but when you begin the habit of compromising, no matter how minute, then you’re only hurting your own character & paving the habit for selling your principles out in bigger life things. It’s a mindset. It’s a way you choose to live your life.  You have to turn that **** around fast or it’ll steal your soul. Them players have one another to fight for. Surround yourself with men you admire & respect.  Aspire to be stronger & better.  We’re all gonna fall short sometimes but don’t ever give up on what is righteous.  At the very least you’ll sleep better & be a better example. And when you wake up you can look that man in the mirror in the eye & go to work with your head held high.  

Falconsin2012 and kiwifalcon like this

5 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Here’s the problem with that and it’s not draft related.

The Falcons look better beating teams in much worse shape than the Falcons and it skews things.

Suddenly people forget how bad the Falcons truly were.  They forget the best downs they took at the Packers, Browns, Ravens, Steelers, Saints, etc...

The Falcons beat teams where they’re still moving around guys on the oline AND have rookie/injured QBs playing and people think the Falcons offense and defense weren’t that bad.

Do yourselves a favor and go back and rewatch the Ravens and Packers game.  Especially the Packers game.  Just fired the HC and also had a banged up oline but that didn’t stop them from killing the Falcons

Look at the comments out there... let’s keep the OC.... let’s keep the DC

I agree with most of what you're saying but people also are acting like this team did not lose a lot of close games.

Philly, Dallas, First Saints game and the Bengals games SHOULD have all been W's. That changes our record from 6-9 to 10-5 going into W17. We blew all those games. We would be playing for the 5 seed this weekend.

A lot of "ifs and but" but lets not pretend this team is getting slaughtered by 45 every week. We had plenty of winnable games right at our finger tips and we blew them.

9 minutes ago, rounz said:

Has there ever been a team that really, deliberately tanked?

I mean, went out there and said to each other, "OK now, don't forget to play badly".

Because I think tanking is different from a coach losing a team, or a team giving up because they feel outmatched

The fact we are having this conversation is ridiculous.

Do these cats lose in Madden for the #5 instead of #10?:huh: Just auto play tank bro. It’s an app on my phone and a swipe of my finger: why don’t my Falcons do it?

rounz likes this

18 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I agree with most of what you're saying but people also are acting like this team did not lose a lot of close games.

Philly, Dallas, First Saints game and the Bengals games SHOULD have all been W's. That changes our record from 6-9 to 10-5 going into W17. We blew all those games. We would be playing for the 5 seed this weekend.

A lot of "ifs and but" but lets not pretend this team is getting slaughtered by 45 every week. We had plenty of winnable games right at our finger tips and we blew them.

And of those games you mentioned specifically in how many of them could the offense not put the game away or win it outright?

2 of them right but you could make an argument for 3.  Dallas was the one where the D needed to make a stop and it didn’t.

Philly- offense couldn’t score from the red zone

Saints - Falcons had the ball with under 2 minutes but couldn’t close the game with a 1st down and had to punt.

Bengals - Falcons score a TD instead of a FG on their last scoring drive and it’s out of reach for the Bengals.

And the worst thing for the Falcons was when the offense feasted in bad defenses early in the season.  Then later when they played decent defenses and got shut down it skewed people’s sense of how good the offense was.

15 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

The fact we are having this conversation is ridiculous.

Do these cats lose in Madden for the #5 instead of #10?:huh: Just auto play tank bro. It’s an app on my phone and a swipe of my finger: why don’t my Falcons do it?

Yeah, I think this is a fantasy for some fans, but it just doesn't happen IRL.

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Let’s destroy Tampa and get this off season going on a good note.  We will get 2-3 impact players in the draft

If we beat the Bucs, we are basically conceding defeat for the next 5 seasons. We MUST have a top 5 pick in order to be a contender next season...

Ergo Proxy and Drew4719 like this