Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PriMeTiiMe

Best QB Season for a team under .500?

114 posts in this topic

Here is a quantifiable, if not perfect, way to answer this question.

Right now Matt Ryan has the 27th best passer rating in NFL history this season.  Every QB in front of him on the list went 10-6 at least except for Daunte Culpepper, who went 8-8 in 2004, while throing for 4717 yards, 39 TDs, and 12 INTs.

So it's easy to make an argument that this is the best season ever for a QB with a losing record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Ryan design and call his own plays?  On the one hand people slam Sark's play designing and play selection, THEN boast about the stats that Ryan is putting up running Sark's plays...:lol:

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Peyton said:

1978 was the year the rules were changed. Offenses have just gotten more sophisticated and harder to stop.  Officials still let defensive backs get away with all kinds of grabbing.

It is true though, TD to INT ratios have gone way up.  Offenses are winning.

‘95 was when the rules actually took a major turn to favor offense.  The defenseless player rule expansion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Does Ryan design and call his own plays?  On the one hand people slam Sark's play designing and play selection, THEN boast about the stats that Ryan is putting up running Sark's plays...:lol:

The design of the plays aren't the big issue. More often than not it's WHEN he calls them. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falcon Man™ said:

The bad return game you mentioned is part of the reason his total yards are somewhat inflated.

I am not giving Ryan a total pass on the play calling. Matt has enough clout to call his own audibles and make some situational calls. He just doesn't have that killer instinct. There isn't anything wrong with being Mr Nice Guy if you have a Shanahan or Sean Payton calling your offense - unfortunately we are 2 years removed from this.

Bottom line is there are things you can do to make up for weak aspects of your team. Our O-line "Looked" much better with Shanahan as our OC, because he made the right calls to account for it.

 

There is no way we should have a losing season with all of the talent we have on this team - especially offensively. We should be outscoring teams left and right. We all know what happened to our defense, but we still have 3 highly (1 of which is supremely) talented WR's, an above average TE, one of the fastest RB's in the league with great hands, a top 10 QB and we can't outscore other teams? The Browns? The Bengals?

Ryan may statistically be having a great season, but the biggest stat is winning and I will not make excuses for him because there aren't any.

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To expound on my previous post, on the list of single season QB rating leaders, you have to go all the way down to number 77 to find a QB who played the entire season and had a losing record.  Drew Brees in 2016.

So yeah for Matt Ryan to be number 27 on that list and have a losing season is pretty remarkable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

To expound on my previous post, on the list of single season QB rating leaders, you have to go all the way down to number 77 to find a QB who played the entire season and had a losing record.  Drew Brees in 2016.

So yeah for Matt Ryan to be number 27 on that list and have a losing season is pretty remarkable.

Ahh good ol' Falcons to find something nearly impossibly to do like having an amazing season by your QB but the team around you will still make sure it's for nothing. This is like when we played the Saints and Bengals and scored 36+ at home with no turnovers and the record when doing that was like 477-2-1 or something similar to that. And we managed to lose 2 games back to back and double the loss total...:lol: Or when we had a 99.9% chance to win the Superbowl and found a way to lose.

Welcome to being a Falcons fan. When something really bad seems not possible..We will find a way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falcon Man™ said:

Ask Matt Ryan what his excuses are.

What do you mean? He's playing great at his position. His team sucks. It's not rocket science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Ahh good ol' Falcons to find something nearly impossibly to do like having an amazing season by your QB but the team around you will still make sure it's for nothing. This is like when we played the Saints and Bengals and scored 36+ at home with no turnovers and the record when doing that was like 477-2-1 or something similar to that. And we managed to lose 2 games back to back and double the loss total...:lol: Or when we had a 99.9% chance to win the Superbowl and found a way to lose.

Welcome to being a Falcons fan. When something really bad seems not possible..We will find a way!

When Tevin Coleman scored in the Super Bowl to put the Falcons up 28-3, my gf (now my wife) said to me "I think they have this baby".  I just looked at her and said "No.  I don't think you know about the Atlanta Falcons".

So sad that I could even see that coming at 28-3.

Tandy, Bossmare, jay1k2 and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

When healthy maybe.

Our O-Line is in shambles which completely destroys the run game and puts Ryan under constant pressure. And Our defense has regressed badly. This team has a lot of work to do this offseason. God forbid we lose Grady.

Every team plays with O linemen that are nicked up, banged up or are out altogether for certain portions of the season. Our OC didn't do enough adapting, adjusting and compensating for his OL problems. Our OL coach didn't get the back-ups ready to play up to the necessary level to do their job.

Agree the defense was in total disarray from early on until last couple of weeks. With Debo back, things started to look less chaotic. With Rico and Neal returning and another stud or two on the DL, Oliver taking over from Alford, this defense could be decent next year. Get a new DC and maybe a couple more effective defensive coaches than who we have now and be a top 10 defense.

Drew4719 and Falconsin2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robertap said:

So, with all of those 7-9 seasons, Brees must suck then, right?

Winning is a team stat, not a QB stat.  You can have a crap QB on a good team and win a Superbowl.  (Trent Dilfer)  You can have one of the best QB's of all time and never win a Superbowl.  (Dan Marino) 

Matt Ryan is statistically one of the best ever, but has never played with a defense that pulls its own weight.  His offensive lines, throughout his career, have been suspect.  The one year where he had a somewhat decent OL, he went to the Superbowl, despite the defense being unable to play with any consistency.

Maybe when Ryan finally retires, and the team goes back to being a perennial loser, fans will finally appreciate what they had in this guy.

You will never convince those that hate Ryan of this. Period. He has many flaws. All QBs do.

But he is,still **** good and,the Falcons losing has very little to do with Ryan. If,anything Ryan is the reason for newer fans sense of entitlement.

Forgetting that these are actually the good years. 

rounz, Drew4719, PokerSteve and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Falcon Man™ said:

Ask Matt Ryan what his excuses are.

74%, 3,922 Yards, 32 TDs, 5 INTs, 115 QB Rating
66%, 4,816 Yards, 48 TDs, 11 INTs, 114 QB Rating
66%, 3,296 Yards, 34 TDs, 6 INTs, 112 QB Rating
69%, 4,546 Yards, 33 TDs, 6 INTs, 108 QB Rating - Ryan
68%, 4,132 Yards, 31 TDs, 10 INTs, 107 QB Rating
68%, 3,931 Yards, 26 TDs, 9 INTs, 104 QB Rating
70%, 4,166 Yards, 29 TDs, 10 INTs, 100 QB Rating
65%, 4,489 Yards, 28 TDs, 12 INTs, 99 QB Rating
67%, 4,308 Yards, 36 TDs, 14 INTs, 98 QB Rating
66%, 3,060 Yards, 24 TDs, 12 INTs, 96 QB Rating
65%, 4,105 Yards, 25 TDs, 11 INTs, 95 QB Rating
68%, 3,498 Yards, 18 TDs, 8 INTs, 94 QB Rating
58%, 1,022 Yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs, 84 QB Rating

Above are the QB stats for the 12 guys starting currently listed in the playoffs with Ryan mixed in.. I sorted it by QB Rating.

You're right, Ryan is the reason for our season and clearly to blame. His stats are TERRIBLE compared to the 12 guys in the playoffs!

Drew4719, hotlanta and jay1k2 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robertap said:

So, with all of those 7-9 seasons, Brees must suck then, right?

Winning is a team stat, not a QB stat.  You can have a crap QB on a good team and win a Superbowl.  (Trent Dilfer)  You can have one of the best QB's of all time and never win a Superbowl.  (Dan Marino) 

Matt Ryan is statistically one of the best ever, but has never played with a defense that pulls its own weight.  His offensive lines, throughout his career, have been suspect.  The one year where he had a somewhat decent OL, he went to the Superbowl, despite the defense being unable to play with any consistency.

Maybe when Ryan finally retires, and the team goes back to being a perennial loser, fans will finally appreciate what they had in this guy.

Our defense is historically bad this year had they been even "average" We would have won 11 games with Ryan's year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only other QB I can think of is Drew Brees. Between 2012 and 2016, his teams went 7-9 for 4 out of 5 seasons. He has to have at least one good season out there. Drew Brees had 5208 passing yards in 2016 while Matt Ryan in his MVP year had 4944. Which is crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Our defense is historically bad this year had they been even "average" We would have won 11 games with Ryan's year.

and our run offense was ranked 32nd as well, keep that in mind everybody. Matt Ryan had to deal with a horrible defense AND a dead last rushing offense. 

jay1k2 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peyton said:

When Tevin Coleman scored in the Super Bowl to put the Falcons up 28-3, my gf (now my wife) said to me "I think they have this baby".  I just looked at her and said "No.  I don't think you know about the Atlanta Falcons".

So sad that I could even see that coming at 28-3.

After Coleman’s TD I told my wife “one more field goal and I think we’ve got it”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ghosts of Glanville said:

After Coleman’s TD I told my wife “one more field goal and I think we’ve got it”

I said something similar. After we made them milk like 7 minutes off the clock to score their first TD and we got the onside kick i kept saying just get this FG and it's over. Insert Matthews hold, Hooper drop, Ryan sack. RIP.

Ghosts of Glanville likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Falcon Man™ said:

The bad return game you mentioned is part of the reason his total yards are somewhat inflated.

I am not giving Ryan a total pass on the play calling. Matt has enough clout to call his own audibles and make some situational calls. He just doesn't have that killer instinct. There isn't anything wrong with being Mr Nice Guy if you have a Shanahan or Sean Payton calling your offense - unfortunately we are 2 years removed from this.

Bottom line is there are things you can do to make up for weak aspects of your team. Our O-line "Looked" much better with Shanahan as our OC, because he made the right calls to account for it.

 

There is no way we should have a losing season with all of the talent we have on this team - especially offensively. We should be outscoring teams left and right. We all know what happened to our defense, but we still have 3 highly (1 of which is supremely) talented WR's, an above average TE, one of the fastest RB's in the league with great hands, a top 10 QB and we can't outscore other teams? The Browns? The Bengals?

Ryan may statistically be having a great season, but the biggest stat is winning and I will not make excuses for him because there aren't any.

I don’t understand how people can say Ryan “doesn’t have that killer instinct”.... I’ve watched Ryan hurdle two defenders at the GL before. I’ve seen Ryan stand in the pocket with two 300 pound men about to rag doll him. I’ve seen Ryan get up after taking hit after hit. I’ve seen Ryan tell people to get the **** off his field. 

Ryan has physical limitations, but competiveness and “instincts” have never been something I’ve questioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

 but competiveness and “instincts” have never been something I’ve questioned. 

I've questioned his "instincts" a few times like the playoff game where he slid on 4th down late in the 4th qtr rather than trying to reach the 1st down.

Or when he took the sack in the 4th qtr of the Superbowl that moved the team out of FG range rather than throw the ball away.

I've said before Ryan is not as bad as some people say and he's not as good as others say. He's good enough to help the team win if he's surrounded with good players around him. But he has certainly added his share of brain farts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

I've questioned his "instincts" a few times like the playoff game where he slid on 4th down late in the 4th qtr rather than trying to reach the 1st down.

Or when he took the sack in the 4th qtr of the Superbowl that moved the team out of FG range rather than throw the ball away.

I've said before Ryan is not as bad as some people say and he's not as good as others say. He's good enough to help the team win if he's surrounded with good players around him. But he has certainly added his share of brain farts.

He makes fewer mistakes than the majority of players in the NFL at his position. He’s a top 7 QB. Elite. Not the best, but a HoFer when it’s all over. 

Drew4719 and hotlanta like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

He makes fewer mistakes than the majority of players in the NFL at his position. He’s a top 7 QB. Elite. Not the best, but a HoFer when it’s all over. 

That's your opinion, you're entitled to it. I don't consider him Elite but he's good enough to help the team win. Maybe if the team had a Lombardi trophy he could be in the discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I find it hilarious that people suggest we need a new QB. So dumb 

This. People must not remember the Leftwich & Redmond days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jay1k2 said:

I don't think think Brady has never had a losing season because of him. More so that he has a great head coach that knows how to build a competent defense and team year after year.

We've had several wins coached away. 

Tom Brady has never had a **** defense and suspect olines year after year.

65.4% // 4,105 Yards // 7.64 YPA // 25 TDs // 11 INTs // 95.4 QB Rating - Tom Brady. Team record 10-5

69.3% // 4,546 Yards // 8.06 YPA // 36 TDs // 6 INTs // 108.5 QB Rating - Matt Ryan. Team record 6-9

He's also spent his career in a REALLY ridiculously lousy division. Alabama would finish 2nd in the AFC East most years.

hotlanta likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

That's your opinion, you're entitled to it. I don't consider him Elite but he's good enough to help the team win. Maybe if the team had a Lombardi trophy he could be in the discussion.

Dan Marino laughs at this.

Geneaut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0