Flying Falcon

We were DUKED!!!!

69 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

bd3a5d38cbbb5ef5c39c15c63810fb8970bedddf

Whenever Quinn takes over playcalling, our defense drastically improves.  His defense was equally as important as the offense in 2016 as we stormed into the playoffs and Super Bowl.  I don’t think we allowed 20 points in the 1st half of all 3 playoff games combined.  The games were over at the half due to solid fundamental defense and turnovers.  Unfortunately Quinn lost his HC voice in the 2nd half of the SB and didn’t order 3 straight runs and a punt once up 28-3.  

Ask his old players...Irvin, Sherman, Thomas & Co all heaped praise on him.  You know more than them?  So do yourself a favor and stop while you are behind.  Say what you want about how he handles the offensive side of the ball, but he is a shockingly gifted talent evaluator and a wonderful coach on that side of the ball

You gotta love folks that actually act like they are in the locker room and on the sidelines and know exactly how well a coach or cannot coach.

Falconsin2012 and ki46dinah like this

1 hour ago, SeahawkFan80 said:

One more thing, He puts people in a place that uses their strengths rather than embellishes their weaknesses. Some coaches try to make others better by focusing on their weaknesses and fail miserably. If you can use their strengths and build on them, you are a greater asset to the TEAM EFFORT.

Much like Sean Payton & Bill Belichick, Carroll is also a bit of a slime-ball. 

Drew4719 likes this

5 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Smith's defenses sucked too, but his weren't any worse than Quinn's. According to DVOA the best defense in the Matt Ryan era was from the 2012 team, and that was with Grimes on IR and before Abraham went down, which killed our Super Bowl hopes. You can argue that Quinn has had the better talent but his schemes and fast/speed philosophy are not working. When something doesn't work, you must make a change or make adjustments. That's what elite coaches like Pete Corroll or Bill Belichick do. Quinn is not in that class unfortunately. Since the 5-0 start in 2015, you're not 2-18 when trailing a halftime for no reason. You don't have the most 4th quarter blown leads in the NFL the past 4 seasons for no reason. That's more than Mike Smith's first 4 seasons.

I am thinking it WAS due to Abraham, matter of fact, if he was on this team, he would FEAST!!!

And yes, these defenses would be better than the 2012 one. 

Falconsin2012 likes this

6 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Winning - won National Championships and SB

Highly Intelligent 

Preparation

Energetic

Great motivator

Great leader

Great competitor 

Enthusiastic 

Confidence 

Great talent evaluator 

Great communicator 

RESULTS

Not necessarily in the order above.....

It took him how many NFL jobs to become that guy?????????? The Seahawks are his 3rd NFL HC job. Folks act like it's his first job and that he's always been great. In his first 6 NFL seasons he posted a 47-49 (2-3) record. It wasn't until 2012 when he got Russell Wilson that he started having terrific success. It's amazing how having a great QB makes such a difference to a coach's success or lack there of.

Falconsin2012 likes this

20 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It took him how many NFL jobs to become that guy?????????? The Seahawks are his 3rd NFL HC job. Folks act like it's his first job and that he's always been great. In his first 6 NFL seasons he posted a 47-49 (2-3) record. It wasn't until 2012 when he got Russell Wilson that he started having terrific success. It's amazing how having a great QB makes such a difference to a coach's success or lack there of.

We dont have that long. Maybe we should have been Quinn's 3rd team as a HC then.

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Ok ....you’re right I’m wrong 

..Bill Belichick was 36-44 during his 5 years as HC in Cleveland so he don’t deserve  all the accolades of being the GOAT because of Brady. 

Dog you need to come back with something besides that crap...that was pretty weak. BTW I’m not a Pete Carroll fan.

Edited by Atl Falcon

Man, this thread about who Quinn is and isn’t is so funny because the last time I checked, our trophy case Is still bare. Gotta love that fast and physical brotherhood.

3 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Ok ....you’re right I’m wrong 

..Bill Belichick was 36-44 during his 5 years as HC in Cleveland so he don’t deserve  all the accolades of being the GOAT because of Brady. 

Dog you need to come back with something besides that crap...that was pretty weak. BTW I’m not a Pete Carroll fan.

Pretty weak? No, what's weak is all the folks calling for Dan Quinn's head after only 4 years and drooling over all these other head coaches that have far more experience than him. Give the man the same amount of time as these other guys you all seem to love so much and lets see what Dan Quinn's career looks like then. Dan Quinn's first 4 years are miles better than Pete Carroll's and Bill Belichick's.

17 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Pretty weak? No, what's weak is all the folks calling for Dan Quinn's head after only 4 years and drooling over all these other head coaches that have far more experience than him. Give the man the same amount of time as these other guys you all seem to love so much and lets see what Dan Quinn's career looks like then. Dan Quinn's first 4 years are miles better than Pete Carroll's and Bill Belichick's.

You can’t find one time where I have called for DQs head. And really all your saying in reality is DQ had a QB based on what you’ve posted so far. Get your facts straight before you come with something that weak again....I like DQ and agree he deserves another year or so.

Merry Christmas kiddo 

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

You can’t find one time where I have called for DQs head. And really all your saying in reality is DQ had a QB based on what you’ve posted so far. Get your facts straight before you come with something that weak again....I like DQ and agree he deserves another year or so.

Merry Christmas kiddo 

LOL!! Kiddo? Really?? I'm probably older than you dude.

Also, yes, it's a well known fact that most great head coaches had great QB's. That's something that we've known for 40 years.

36 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

LOL!! Kiddo? Really?? I'm probably older than you dude.

Also, yes, it's a well known fact that most great head coaches had great QB's. That's something that we've known for 40 years.

Ha I seriously doubt you’re older than me..I was watching the Falcons in their inaugural season.....so if you did we’re both some old codgers lol

Edited by Atl Falcon

Why has a guy got to be either a genius or a bum?  Aren't there any "pretty good" coaches around?

Yes, I'm implying the truth about Quinn can be found somewhere between the gaudy fan assessments of 2016 and the sewer level assessments of December 2018.

Atl Falcon likes this

16 hours ago, thewatcher said:

I kind of admit you got a good point our coaching staff is a complete joke

At times they can be which infuriates me because some of them are pretty intelligent people and knows the game well.   I still to this day don't understand why we swapped Raheem Morris from CB coach to WR coach.  He's been a defensive backs coach, and Defensive Coordinator, and a Defensive minded head coach his entire career as a coach from 98 to 2016.  We for some reason decided to make him a WR coach instead of what his best skill set is in teaching for almost 20 years. 

His 1st year as DB coach in 2015 we finished in the top 15 in pass defense under him and our CB's were doing well and improving imo.   In 2016 when he swapped to WR coach we went from 15th to 28th.    Dan Quinn took over play calling duties in 2017 and our defense finished top 10 overall and our pass defense went back to 12th.   Dan Quinn gives up play calling duties again this year in 2018 and as our defense goes from top 10 last year to being 27th this year overall and 25th in pass defense. 

So the best years for the Defensive backs were when they were being coached by Raheem Morris and when Quinn himself was calling the plays and putting them in positions.  Any other time they have been garbage overall as has our defense as a whole.

On 24/12/2018 at 0:00 PM, Flying Falcon said:

That is the problem. His defenses doesn't do well with no name players or scheming players to play to their strengths. Pete Carroll's defense seems to have a lot of no names playing within a system that seems to work for them. I don't even know what system we running.

Just because his players are "no-names" doesn't mean they aren't good players. The idea that there are coaches at the NFL level that can put together a good defense with bad players is absolutely ridiculous. Having said that, I don't disagree with you that there have been coaching issues on both sides of the ball. 

Hey Flying Falcon, stop being a Crying Falcon. :D Just kidding,  but using Carroll or any other team isn’t working for me personally.  Envy is not virtuous imo.  Agreed we have some issues however.    Pointing to others only adds to the frustration level though.

AB will measure DQ & evaluate his strengths & shortcomings. He’ll also consider our injuries & the effectiveness of his supporting staff including coordinators & positional coaches.  He’ll also review DQ’s ability to appoint talented leaders beneath him. Then he’ll evaluate his on-field tactical skills including adjustments etc.

Fk Pete Carrol.  This isn’t about him.  So we didn’t make the playoffs. Fine we can deal with that. Pointing to others like Seattle or anyone else while belittling or criticizing our own serves no healthy purpose other than to promote a sense of entitlement imo.  

We need to make some tough decisions & hope they’re willing & courageous enough to do what is necessary.  I think we need stronger, brighter, more talented schemers as our coordinators & same for some positional coaches.