Flying Falcon

We were DUKED!!!!

69 posts in this topic

Wrong DQ himself is a great defensive mind and when he actually calls the plays our defense is top 10.  His problem is he gives the defensive play calling duties to people who can't do the **** job and aren't even close to his level at doing it.  He needs a Defensive Coordinator to be that in name only and a extra position coordinator.  DQ needs to be the person who runs and calls all the defenses during the games for us.

Osiruz and GreggT like this

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Is he talking about the same defense that started Worrilow and Barto and couldn’t stop a decent college offense? 

Is this the Defense you are referring to? 

The ones that had Spoon, Lofton, Hall, and a few others.

10 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Watching Seattle's defense last night showed me that it was never Dan Quinn that established, created, or substained that defense. It has to be Pete Carroll. Quinn has rode his success to a gravy job in Atlanta and now has broke the wheels off a defense that was only a middle of the road to begin with. I mean, Smitty put together some tough defenses with Lofton, Spoon, and others too, so Quinn's high rated defense in 2016 isn't nothing to really toot our noses up for. I just don't see our defense really improving anywhere beyond where we are with this guy. I have prepared myself to see more of this face:

865185182.0.jpg

in 2019. He is who he is.

I said that about Carroll and Belichick. Saban to a lesser degree

Flying Falcon likes this

Seahawks fans have been saying Quinn is what made Carroll's defenses work before this year, but ok. Just look at Seahawks forums discussing Quinn in 2016 and 2017.

Don't trust him all the way and I'll lose faith if he doesn't make any changes this year, but...inarguably the best stretch in Falcons playoff history. Not writing it off yet.

JDaveG likes this

7 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

The ones that had Spoon, Lofton, Hall, and a few others.

Matter of fact... Hall, neither Travis or DeAngelo played for Smith!

And Lofton was always someone we were looking to upgrade from, not like he was a big time player with us. He was at best serviceable outside of one season as he had to come off the field on passing downs and of 50/50 downs was a liability as he couldn’t cover five year old.

The only other player they had was Abraham and they got rid of him too! 

Flying Falcon and JDaveG like this

Smith never put a good defense on the field .... I dont tjink 1 person ever felt comfortable when the defense took the field in the smith era ..... minus the Monday night game against manning the defense was trash 

Emmitt likes this

12 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

You're right Takk, Deion, Jarrett, Campbell, Neal, Rico, Kazee, Oliver, & Senat all suck!!

The fact you said Smith had a good defense shows just now clueless you really are.

Smith's defenses sucked too, but his weren't any worse than Quinn's. According to DVOA the best defense in the Matt Ryan era was from the 2012 team, and that was with Grimes on IR and before Abraham went down, which killed our Super Bowl hopes. You can argue that Quinn has had the better talent but his schemes and fast/speed philosophy are not working. When something doesn't work, you must make a change or make adjustments. That's what elite coaches like Pete Corroll or Bill Belichick do. Quinn is not in that class unfortunately. Since the 5-0 start in 2015, you're not 2-18 when trailing a halftime for no reason. You don't have the most 4th quarter blown leads in the NFL the past 4 seasons for no reason. That's more than Mike Smith's first 4 seasons.

Edited by mqg96
Vandy, GreggT and Flying Falcon like this

20 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Watching Seattle's defense last night showed me that it was never Dan Quinn that established, created, or substained that defense. It has to be Pete Carroll. Quinn has rode his success to a gravy job in Atlanta and now has broke the wheels off a defense that was only a middle of the road to begin with. I mean, Smitty put together some tough defenses with Lofton, Spoon, and others too, so Quinn's high rated defense in 2016 isn't nothing to really toot our noses up for. I just don't see our defense really improving anywhere beyond where we are with this guy. I have prepared myself to see more of this face:

865185182.0.jpg

in 2019. He is who he is.

YES! YES ! YES !

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What makes him such a great coach?

Winning - won National Championships and SB

Highly Intelligent 

Preparation

Energetic

Great motivator

Great leader

Great competitor 

Enthusiastic 

Confidence 

Great talent evaluator 

Great communicator 

RESULTS

Not necessarily in the order above.....

11 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Wrong DQ himself is a great defensive mind and when he actually calls the plays our defense is top 10.  His problem is he gives the defensive play calling duties to people who can't do the **** job and aren't even close to his level at doing it.  He needs a Defensive Coordinator to be that in name only and a extra position coordinator.  DQ needs to be the person who runs and calls all the defenses during the games for us.

I kind of admit you got a good point our coaching staff is a complete joke

GreggT likes this

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Matter of fact... Hall, neither Travis or DeAngelo played for Smith!

And Lofton was always someone we were looking to upgrade from, not like he was a big time player with us. He was at best serviceable outside of one season as he had to come off the field on passing downs and of 50/50 downs was a liability as he couldn’t cover five year old.

The only other player they had was Abraham and they got rid of him too! 

I always thought Lofton was a much better player than folks in here gave him credit for...never had a big time DT in front of him, but always among league leaders in tackles.

played hurt too...

Our run defense took a big hit when we let him leave, IMO.

33 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I always thought Lofton was a much better player than folks in here gave him credit for...never had a big time DT in front of him, but always among league leaders in tackles.

played hurt too...

He was very good at what he did, but was a liability as he was a one trick pony. 

Vandy likes this

Quinn came here with a playbook from Pete and nothing more.

It's why he can't adjust during games has horrible clock management he can't even adjust during the season.

He has a playbook and that's it. He doesn't know how to deviate from it. He's not a football mind that can out think other coaches.

Vandy, Flying Falcon, mqg96 and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

Winning - won National Championships and SB

Highly Intelligent 

Preparation

Energetic

Great motivator

Great leader

Great competitor 

Enthusiastic 

Confidence 

Great talent evaluator 

Great communicator 

RESULTS

Not necessarily in the order above.....

One more thing, He puts people in a place that uses their strengths rather than embellishes their weaknesses. Some coaches try to make others better by focusing on their weaknesses and fail miserably. If you can use their strengths and build on them, you are a greater asset to the TEAM EFFORT.

Flying Falcon and Atl Falcon like this

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

Smith's defenses sucked too, but his weren't any worse than Quinn's. According to DVOA the best defense in the Matt Ryan era was from the 2012 team, and that was with Grimes on IR and before Abraham went down, which killed our Super Bowl hopes. You can argue that Quinn has had the better talent but his schemes and fast/speed philosophy are not working. [/b]]When something doesn't work, you must make a change or make adjustments. That's what elite coaches like Pete Corroll or Bill Belichick do. Quinn is not in that class unfortunately. Since the 5-0 start in 2015, you're not 2-18 when trailing a halftime for no reason. You don't have the most 4th quarter blown leads in the NFL the past 4 seasons for no reason. That's more than Mike Smith's first 4 seasons.

Thank you!! That's all I'm saying.

mqg96 likes this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

played hurt too...

Thank you!!!

Vandy likes this

13 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

bd3a5d38cbbb5ef5c39c15c63810fb8970bedddf

Whenever Quinn takes over playcalling, our defense drastically improves.  His defense was equally as important as the offense in 2016 as we stormed into the playoffs and Super Bowl.  I don’t think we allowed 20 points in the 1st half of all 3 playoff games combined.  The games were over at the half due to solid fundamental defense and turnovers.  Unfortunately Quinn lost his HC voice in the 2nd half of the SB and didn’t order 3 straight runs and a punt once up 28-3.  

Ask his old players...Irvin, Sherman, Thomas & Co all heaped praise on him.  You know more than them?  So do yourself a favor and stop while you are behind.  Say what you want about how he handles the offensive side of the ball, but he is a shockingly gifted talent evaluator and a wonderful coach on that side of the ball

I agree that is play calling is better than his head coaching. I just don't believe they can find talent in the places that it counts. That being the offensive and defensive lines. DQ or TD have had very little success outside of Grady Garrett when it comes to drafting the O and D linemen.