4 hours ago, Mgaffar said:

Um I am a serious fan (section 134 PSL holder) and I was at the game rooting for the cardinals to win in my #45 Deion Jones jersey.  Not by a blow out but 3 points would have made me one happy TRUE SERIOUS FALCON FAN who is INVESTED.  A top 6 pick isn't a guarantee but the value being that high up and the chances of it panning out over a top 15 pick is worth tanking.  A stupid chance? lol if we lost the cardinals and panthers game we would be sitting at the 4-5 spot versus where we are currently.  Once our season was over winning any more games was pointless.  This season was a loss and now its even more of a loss now that we are picking out of the top 10.  Getting a top 5 pick would have helped with the ****** season this team had.  I could care less for winning going into the offseason.  A 7-9 without making the playoffs is worse than a 5-11 season in my eyes as a SERIOUS FAN. I only care about winning and having a top 5 draft pick gives us better chances than a top 15.

Yes I can tell from your 17 post that you're a veteran Falcon fan.  You expect appreciable long term value from #6 over #8 but the Browns destroyed that model years ago.  Their #1 overall pick last year is doing everything he can to avoid another losing season-  have you asked "why"?  because talent assessment, team needs, team chemistry, and team wins are  far more important than who has the higher overall pick..  Only one team gets to lift the Lombardi but every team is accountable to their fan base for their seasons W-L results.

2017 Browns had the #1 pick, Giants had the #2 pick, and Jet's the #3 pick...forget playoffs which of those teams have a winning record this year?  "Let's lose our way to success" is not a good strategy my friend.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Edit: still applies this year. I understand your desire for a top-5 pick.  It’s sexy and exciting.  But ask yourself this: if we lost the past 2 games, what would it say about our team?  If we

Losing while resting key banged up players and getting a look at your quality of depth is not a bad look 

It would say the team is as bad as we thought. Now with them winning pointless games, it gives Quinn a reason to second guess firing the OC and DC. Not to mention player evaluations.

58 minutes ago, 11=team said:

...there is no such thing as a pointless win as teams are defined and remembered by their record.  Your methodology would certainly make the Falcons losers over years.  Football is a team sport and there is absolutely no evidence that tanking for a higher draft choice improves any chances of getting a Lombardi.  I can recall only one number 1 pick who became a SB MVP - Eli Manning.  

I disagree. in five years all that will matter is we missed the playoffs. What is winning 3 games out of contention going to accomplish. Is there really thst big a difference in 4-12 and 7-9. Either way were watching from the couch in january. No picking higher does not guarantee a lombardi, but theres more talent to choose from. How exactly does my methodolgy meak the team losers over years. Once youre eliminated youre eliminated there is no gray area.

4 hours ago, 11=team said:

Yes I can tell from your 17 post that you're a veteran Falcon fan.  You expect appreciable long term value from #6 over #8 but the Browns destroyed that model years ago.  Their #1 overall pick last year is doing everything he can to avoid another losing season-  have you asked "why"?  because talent assessment, team needs, team chemistry, and team wins are  far more important than who has the higher overall pick..  Only one team gets to lift the Lombardi but every team is accountable to their fan base for their seasons W-L results.

2017 Browns had the #1 pick, Giants had the #2 pick, and Jet's the #3 pick...forget playoffs which of those teams have a winning record this year?  "Let's lose our way to success" is not a good strategy my friend.

Lmao so because I have 17 posts means that I’m not a veteran falcon fan or makes me less of a fan than you? That’s as delusional as your thought process that us having a 7-9 record will do anything for next season other than picking in the teens vs top 5. 

Some fans forget that this team is loaded with talent. This year a lot of things went against the team. This team has only a few holes. Some of the fans think the team needs to rebuild which is totally nonsensical for a team that was in Superbowl two years ago and Divisional Playoff last year. The team only needs to add 2-3 pieces to the defense and 2-3 on the offense to fill the voids. 

I expect the Falcons to draft well again and really add some serious depth to the team. 

6 hours ago, Mgaffar said:

Lmao so because I have 17 posts means that I’m not a veteran falcon fan or makes me less of a fan than you? That’s as delusional as your thought process that us having a 7-9 record will do anything for next season other than picking in the teens vs top 5. 

Yes I digressed from the point I was try to make, my apology.  At any rate I think we both can hope for a championship next year.  Have a Merry Christmas and excellent 2019!

Beating teams that have already given up isn’t much of a moral victory in my book. I have a bad feeling these wins are going to save our current OC/DC’s jobs. Which is going to hurt us in in the long run. Not to mention the potential risk of injury to star players that is still present.

None of these victories will mean anything if by some unfortunate event Ryan gets his leg broke and is out for a year. Personally I would have sat the starters and played all of my backups to see who is worth keeping. Depth was a huge issue this year, we could have used the extra bit of evaluation on unproven talent. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
On 12/23/2018 at 9:37 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

I understand your desire for a top-5 pick.  It’s sexy and exciting.  But ask yourself this: if we lost the past 2 games, what would it say about our team?  If we lost to Arizona & Carolina, it would be a problem.  The team would be terminal and in need of a purge.  Thankfully we won convincingly.  That’s what a good team does.  It wasn’t perfect or pretty, but we asserted ourselves.  I’d rather go into the offseason looking like the team we all assumed we were 6 months ago.  It gives us reasonable hope for 2019.  If we lost 5 in a row to end the year, it would be a terrifying offseason.  Picking in the top-5 is great in a rebuild...but I’d rather pick 12th with reasonable expectations of playoffs and possibly more in 2019.

If we lost the last five games of the season, we would pick in the top 5 of every round and we would likely draft not one, but two impactful players.  

With all the injuries we have, I would not be worried about bouncing back.  I fully believe that a healthy Falcons is a very good team.  It just seems like a wasted opportunity not to get the most out of this dismal season by winning a few meaningless games.  

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

If we lost the last five games of the season, we would pick in the top 5 of every round and we would likely draft not one, but two impactful players.  

With all the injuries we have, I would not be worried about bouncing back.  I fully believe that a healthy Falcons is a very good team.  It just seems like a wasted opportunity not to get the most out of this dismal season by winning a few meaningless games.  

We will get 3 impact players picking 12th (Oliver), 44th (Dexter Lawrence -failed drug test,  will drop) & 76th (Terronne Prescod -  OG)

5 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Beating teams that have already given up isn’t much of a moral victory in my book. I have a bad feeling these wins are going to save our current OC/DC’s jobs. Which is going to hurt us in in the long run. Not to mention the potential risk of injury to star players that is still present.

None of these victories will mean anything if by some unfortunate event Ryan gets his leg broke and is out for a year. Personally I would have sat the starters and played all of my backups to see who is worth keeping. Depth was a huge issue this year, we could have used the extra bit of evaluation on unproven talent. 

Maybe, but what does losing to “teams that have already given up” say about your team?

Tanking goes against every fiber of a winning team’s character. It’s a dumb as **** thought to even entertain. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Maybe, but what does losing to “teams that have already given up” say about your team?

Tanking goes against every fiber of a winning team’s character. It’s a dumb as **** thought to even entertain. 

Never said that we should “tank”. Given our luck this season with injuries, seems pointless to keep our starters in and risk next season. Now would have been a good time to evaluate our depth and get a jump on next season. I’m pretty confident that our backups could have beaten both the Panthers and Cardinals. I have a bad feeling it’s these wins will be enough to save one, if not both our coordinators jobs. 

2 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Never said that we should “tank”. Given our luck this season with injuries, seems pointless to keep our starters in and risk next season. Now would have been a good time to evaluate our depth and get a jump on next season. I’m pretty confident that our backups could have beaten both the Panthers and Cardinals. I have a bad feeling it’s these wins will be enough to save one, if not both our coordinators jobs. 

I know you didn’t, more a statement on my part to the thread in general. Apologies if it came across on you.

Me thinks it’s the Head Coach who needs to improve the most. Don’t want him or anyone else fired, but Quinn needs to take a long hard look in the mirror instead of making some coordinator the scapegoat for his own mistakes this year. Mistakes he made which if honest, cost us a playoff berth. 

7 minutes ago, stizz said:

Ed Oliver is not dropping to 12.

Most mocks agree he will be available between 8-12

10. Atlanta Falcons

Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida. Former first-round rushers Takk McKinley and Vic Beasley have combined for 11.5 sacks but the Falcons could choose to move on from Beasley after the season. Polite, who had a breakout season at Florida, has an explosive first step and off-the-chart physical abilities. His knack for getting in the backfield was unrivaled at times this fall.  

CAR.png11. Carolina Panthers

Yodny Cajuste, OT, West VirginiaCam Newton's season is over after weekly beatings left him with a shoulder injury that just couldn't get right. The Panthers' offensive line has been abysmal this season and, yes, maybe taking Cajuste this high is a stretch but Carolina has to protect their franchise quarterback full stop. 

CIN.png12. Cincinnati Bengals

Ed Oliver, DT, Houston. This defense has been an abomination and while linebacker is a bigger need, it's hard to pass on Oliver here. Considered the second-best player in the draft several months ago, Oliver could still be a top-10 pick. Geno Atkins is still playing at a high level but he's also 30 years old. Adding Oliver to the mix would give the defensive line some much-needed athleticism.

10.  Buffalo Bills: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston 

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Houston_logo.gif

Houston_logo.gif 
The Bills desperately need offense. However, I don't think they can pass up on a special talent like this, especially if the top tackle in the 2019 NFL Draft, Jawaan Taylor, is off the board. 

Ed Oliver was a highly productive defensive lineman for Houston, recording a ridiculous 22.5 TFLs as a freshman. He was a monster this season before getting hurt and currently projects to be a top-five pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php#FjHVVu2jmwqpXj25.99

Edited by Falconsin2012
2 hours ago, Vandy said:

I know you didn’t, more a statement on my part to the thread in general. Apologies if it came across on you.

Me thinks it’s the Head Coach is who needs to improve the most. Don’t want him or anyone else fired, but Quinn needs to take a long hard look in the mirror instead of making some coordinator the scapegoat for his own mistakes this year. Mistakes he made which if honest, cost us a playoff berth. 

It’s cool. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t promoting the whole “losing on purpose” mantra other people on these boards were promoting.

Quinn definitely has to improve considerably in multiple areas. His game management skills have been atrocious. That being said our Coordinators have been incredibly lacking this season.

I understand injuries have played a role in our record this season, however the lack of gameplanning/scheming around our backups was concerning. It would be one thing if I saw improvement but I saw regression in that area. 

Quinn should get the Smith treatment. Allow him to bring in new coordinators to fix issues with his team. I’m confident that Quinn will be able to right the ship, but not with his current personnel. If he doesn’t then we need to find his replacement. 

16 hours ago, Vandy said:

Me thinks it’s the Head Coach who needs to improve the most. Don’t want him or anyone else fired, but Quinn needs to take a long hard look in the mirror instead of making some coordinator the scapegoat for his own mistakes this year. Mistakes he made which if honest, cost us a playoff berth. 

I agree that the HC is the main culprit for this year's dismal performance.  Little serious attention has been paid to the LOS and the results are predictable.  The poor tackling and poor blocking are the result of poor preparation.  

Quinn has to look seriously at himself and make rather significant changes.  I would start will less rah-rah SEAL and Boxing metaphors and more work on fundamentals and clarity of responsibilities.  And let's not forget his in-game decisions that lack sober judgement and leadership.    

I would certainly fire the OL coach.  I don't know the man but I see that his OL has improved little over the course of time.  Injuries or not, this line has not been good for a while.    

Honest self-criticism is needed.  I don't know whether I trust this HC with that charge.  

On 12/24/2018 at 2:17 PM, Mgaffar said:

Um I am a serious fan (section 134 PSL holder) and I was at the game rooting for the cardinals to win in my #45 Deion Jones jersey.  Not by a blow out but 3 points would have made me one happy TRUE SERIOUS FALCON FAN who is INVESTED.  A top 6 pick isn't a guarantee but the value being that high up and the chances of it panning out over a top 15 pick is worth tanking.  A stupid chance? lol if we lost the cardinals and panthers game we would be sitting at the 4-5 spot versus where we are currently.  Once our season was over winning any more games was pointless.  This season was a loss and now its even more of a loss now that we are picking out of the top 10.  Getting a top 5 pick would have helped with the ****** season this team had.  I could care less for winning going into the offseason.  A 7-9 without making the playoffs is worse than a 5-11 season in my eyes as a SERIOUS FAN. I only care about winning and having a top 5 draft pick gives us better chances than a top 15.

I agree with you 1000%. I am also a PSL owner. And the direction this team is being managed will put us back to the pre VIC days. Having a TOP 5 pick helps on the cap and the FAN base.

On 12/25/2018 at 9:30 AM, etherdome said:

If we beat Tampa and end up picking 13th in every round we will likely draft not one, not two, but three or more impactful players. There are too many examples to cite. Most recently, see the Atlanta Falcons 2016 draft. Neal, Debo, Hoop, Dre and Swipester all drafted below the 13th slot of their rounds. Every one of em is a starter. Tank on tanker.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:48 PM, stingbee said:

Some fans forget that this team is loaded with talent. This year a lot of things went against the team. This team has only a few holes. Some of the fans think the team needs to rebuild which is totally nonsensical for a team that was in Superbowl two years ago and Divisional Playoff last year. The team only needs to add 2-3 pieces to the defense and 2-3 on the offense to fill the voids. 

I expect the Falcons to draft well again and really add some serious depth to the team. 

This team isn't loaded with talent. This logic is what got us in hot water in the first place. DQ and Troff ignored the trenches and thought all would be peachy with a bunch of hood ornament decorative skill players on the outside and we will win it all. This is still a game of big boys and we don't hAve consistently good ones.

• 11 months later...